Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetta1976

How humid is too humid?

violetta1976
16 years ago

Hello all! Another newbie here who is excited to have found this site.

First things first - Barbara, your posts are cracking me up.

"Watch out for OCAVD (obsessive compulsive african violet disorder), it is an epidemic."

Yep, I'm definitely there. I thought for a few years that I'd beaten the compulsion out of myself, but now that I'm living somewhere with good light again my collection is expanding rapidly. (I only have 2 AVs right now, but I just placed an order for 7 more from Rob's last week - 1 standard, 1 trailer, and 5 minis. I can't wait to get them!)

Here's my question: I have an old AV that had a huge neck. I lopped off the crown and am trying to re-root it. I also am attempting to grow some babies from a leaf cutting (something I haven't had much success with in the past).

I know that I should keep the humidity level high, and I read that sealing each pot in a ziploc baggie with a few holes poked in it would mimic a greenhouse environment and would do the trick.

How high should I let the humidity level get in there? It's looking pretty foggy and I don't want condensation to cause any leaf damage. I also don't know if there's such a thing as too high a level of humidity and if that alone could be damaging.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus