Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katlady4

IGS shelving

katlady4
15 years ago

I am about to purchase IGS shelving. I would like a 2 light 4 shelf unit but am concerned that the plants might be too close to the lights. Can I conpensate for this by using lights on the bigger plants for a shorter period of time. If this will not work, I can get a 3 shelf but would like to accomodate as many plants as possible. Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Kathy

Comments (5)

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Kathy -

If you want to accommodate many plants and have space and you are not worried about an industrial appearance - you can get about 3 times cheaper Metro shelving (Sams' club, Costco - $75, reduce to 3 usable shelves - 4 shelves including the very top, 3 48' shoplights with 2 tubes, timer and the extention strip with outlets - for about 1/3 of the price.

The only good application for 4 shelf would be if you grow minis and semi-minis. (I understand you want Sunlighter shelf with 4 24 inches lights.) They would really look good and grow well.

Standard violets - you even wouldn't be able to see them well. They will be hiding under the shelves - and you want to see and enjoy them all the time.

Thing is - the standards grow 12 inches wide, large - can be twice as large - so how many plants you can place on this shelf without squashing them together?

To answer your question - yes, you can adjust the light time so they will be OK.

I made the same mistake already. Just doesn't look right.

So - 3 shelves for standards, 4 shelves - for minis.

Good luck
    Irina

• bspofford
    15 years ago

Either Lowe's or Home Depot or maybe both, have this shelving but in white, so it doesn't look quite so industrial, but I don't think it has wheels. I find the wheels are a plus for me, because I roll one end out to get at the plants in the back of the shelving a little easier. I totally agree with Irina, way cheaper than IGS.

Barbara

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

Those post that the shelves are on that come from Sams/Home Depot are standard post and can receive a wheel/caster after you pull out the plug in the end. Purchase the caster from the home warehouse places.

It may take a bit of elbow grease to get them in but it can be done.

Dora

• dragonfly2008
    15 years ago

One other bit of advice: when you are putting in the bottom shelf, make sure you leave enough room to get the vacuum cleaner under it!

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

bringing good info forward ....