Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachelguthrie

Aquarium safe paint

rachelguthrie
15 years ago

Hi,

I was told that acrylic latex paint is safe for fish. I have a castle, purchased at Pets Mart, and the paint is falling off. I need to repaint it. I do not want to spend $75.00 on 1 gallon of Sweetwater epoxy paint just to cover up a few spots. So, I'm intrigued with the acrylic latex idea. What brand name is best? Where can I get it? Anyone who has done this alreday, please advise me.

Thank you.

Comments (12)

• woeisme
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have never done this but there may be a few options to explore.
    I would guess that any epoxy paint that is safe for potable water and withstands submersion in water would be acceptable. usually epoxy is only toxic when wet, but is inert when it cures. Check the labeling on the paint. There is paint that is used for dishware that is "food safe" I would check for water submersion capabilities of that stuff though. As long as it's non-toxic even if it flakes I would it's still safe to use. You could also use any type of paint you want, but it would have to be totally sealed with an epoxy coating that is both potable water and submersible. Another option is to use an epoxy like I just mentioned as a "glue". Then aquarium safe sand or gravel on the wet epoxy for a "natural" look. After a quick search to see iof there was anything that would jar my memory, Krylon brand a paint called "Fusion" is supposed to be safe. I think I have seen this stuff at Walmart or HD for plastic deck furniture. Hope this helps or gives you a few ideas. Check back when you find something suitable, I'd be interested to know.

• birdwidow
    15 years ago

I agree with Woe. Check the label.

However, I do know someone who used Krylon Fusion to paint the top and bottom frame on a tank. It's never flaked and as some of it is inside the frame, the water washes over it regularly. It houses a breeding pair of Discus that have reared more than a few spawns in it since he set it up.

Also check out acrylic craft paint. If it's labeled "100% acrylic." it should be perfectly safe. Just let it cure completely before putting into your tank. Dry isn't necessarially cured, BTW. At least a few days. Better- a full week, to be sure.

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Have generally found that acrylic latex to be as good as two part epoxy for about a third the cost. Have used it both SW ,FW as well as "rocks" made from expanding foam in waterfalls. One setup dates from 1995.Of 18 cardinal tetras
    and 5 clown loaches still have 12 cardinals and 4 Clowns.
    Would say the paint and the X foam are not very toxic?? lol One surpising result.both encrusting corals and chinese algae eaters LOVE the stuff. They will carefully scrape the paint off lol
    The more expensive brands seem to hold up better and have the greatest choice of colors in small amounts. "Patio Paint " works well . gary

• birdwidow
    15 years ago

I'm relieved to hear that someone has used the acrylic latex paint safely in a tank, because I too have a decoration with the paint flaking off that's been sitting in a closet for several years now and I'd like to be able to use it.

But I don't know that I agree about any acrylic latex being as tough as 2 part epoxy. I helped a friend paint the concrete block walls of the walk in cages in her commercial kennel with 2 part epoxy some years ago and even with her monster pressure washer blasting away at them after every guest, it's still intact. I seriously doubt that any acrylic latex would hold up to the same abuse, or that a pleco could eat it off a decoration either.

I also recall our mad dashes to get the stuff mixed and on the walls before it set up in the bucket, and how she ended up with a far shorter haircut than her usual afterwards, so don't know that I would want to mess with the stuff again for any project larger then a tank decoration.

However: If a decoration were painted with acrylic latex and cured: could it be then top coated with a CLEAR 2 part epoxy to prevent flaking that might induce potential gastric distress in a fish, even if it's isn't toxic?

I'll have to check on what's available. It might be the ultimate solution for my flaked decoration as well as Rachelguthrie's.

• paparoseman
    15 years ago

Years ago I made a spraybar out of PVC . I painted it with medium green paint used to paint model cars and military tanks. The paint never flaked and caused no problems.

• rachelguthrie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi,
    Thank you everyone for your advise. I went to Wal-Mart, but was not very impressed with any of their paint. Nothing in the craft department said 100% acrylic or "food safe." Krylon was the spray paint type, which I think, would make an awful mess. The castle is painted with many shades of blue. I need to paint brush whatever I do. I think I'll go to Hobby Lobby and see what they have.

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    If you find a paint labeled "food safe" I'd like to hear about the brand and particularly the cost.lol
    BW Wouldn't argue the two part epoxy is tougher than acrylic .IME it's just not worth the difference in price or steps in application. Have had no toxic issures with acrylic latex , have some underwater as well as in abrasive situations that is still holding after 10 years. There are chips but then I've had epoxy also chip lol
    Only fish I've had a problem with is Chinese algae eaters . They seem attracted to the acrylic unlike plecoes or loaches. Are they actually eating the paint or just scraping it off?? In either case it has not proved to be toxic.
    BTW I specificly asked manufacturers of both "great stuff" and acrylics about toxic issues . Both replies boiled down to "May or may not be toxic would not recommend the product in any situation where it comes in contact with food for either humans or animals" At the same time we know of no research directly linking them to "Side effects. Any use in this manner is stickly at the risk of the consumer" lol You think that's lawyer speak for "We don't want no lawsuits!!! gary

• birdwidow
    15 years ago

I have never seen any paint labeled food safe, but for less than $1.50 per 2 oz. bottle, you can buy acrylic paint in any craft store in 100's of colors, although all you really need to make every color in the spectrum is white, black, red, yellow and blue.

• woeisme
    15 years ago

There are "food safe" paints used for dishes and glassware. I remember some of the neighbors kids had kits with plates, markers and paints in them. They had to be fired in an oven, but a home oven, not a kiln or professional one. They quite possibly could be at Hobby Lobby, Michael's or other craft stores. There is also food safe paints used for the inside of potable water tanks.

• fagannutsy
    15 years ago

How about swimming pool paint

• Samantha Clark
    8 years ago

Super informative :-)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH