Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wainui_gw

Arisaema seed wanted

wainui
18 years ago

I am wanting to buy Arisaema seeds but do not know who to purchase them from. Could someone please tell me who is a reliable supplier.

I would be happy to exchange seeds but New Zealanders cannot send or take seed into the USA. I recently had correctly named seeds confiscated at L.A.

Thanks for any help given. Bob

Comments (22)

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Dan will probably pipe in here. In fact, I think he just ordered some arisaema plants. But, he will know where you can get some seed.

I just ordered some triphyllum, but I'm sure you already have that. It was just a fluke deal. Does Troy sell any? I think he is mostly involved with the other aroids -Mr. and/or Mrs. Stinky, and some alocasia/colocasia species/cultivars.

Dan is about the only person I know on the boards that raises arisaema from seed.

Susan

• keiko2
    18 years ago

Bob,
    If you can receive seeds mailed from the U.K., Chiltern Seeds has a few different species each year.

www.chilternseeds.co.uk

Keiko

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

I really do not know of anyone that sells seed I'm afraid. The seed I get from my own plants I typically send down to Austrailia to my friend who grows Aroids. I sent him a few this year, but I typically do not worry a lot about seed production and make no attempt to get pollination......if it happens it happens, but I'm not out there with a cotton swab or anything!! Good luck and I wish I could be of more help :o) Dan

• Gijs Rietveld
    18 years ago

Hello Bob, Here is another adress:
    www.rareplants.de
    If their seeds will germinate I'm not sure about that, see my question about planting seeds.
    Succes, Gijs

• krazyaroider
    18 years ago

Bob,
    Check out the Arisaema Enthusiast Group at
    Read the information and it may have what you are looking for!
    KA

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Hey, Krazyaroider, at......Where? I'm not getting an address for this group, but will try googling it. Am also interested in arisaema seed.

Susan

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

Go to the IAS site and then you can find the AEG. Once you sign up you will be on their list so that you can contribute seed to the exchange and then get them in return :o) Dan

• ajbroomenz
    18 years ago

Hi,

Contact me. I should have some A. consanguineum seeds ripening soon. I'm in Palmerston North.

Andrew.

Here is a link that might be useful: My page with some aroids

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I found a site that is selling A. serratum if you don't already have that. It is Patrick Studios and is located in Canada. I ordered several seeds from them (not ariseama) upon recommendations from the wintersowing group on gardenweb. I think they are about $4.00 for a pack of about 10-20 seeds. It seems to be a fairly large plant, with variegated foliage. I think the website is www.patrickstudios.com. I think I'll order some more seeds from them. They have other tropicals as well, and seem to be getting new ones in frequently. Other people have commented that the germination rate of their seeds is excellent.

Susan

• MacDaddy
    18 years ago

I should have some A. Sikokianum "silver center" seed by the end of Dec. They are ripening outside right now.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Hey, MacDaddy - are those seeds about ready to cook? Also, Andrew, how are your consanguineum seeds doing? Oops - I just saw you live in NZ. I am searching the net now to see if I can find any. I am about to begin my winter sowing and now would be the perfect time to put some out in my containers.

Susan

• MacDaddy
    18 years ago

They are outside in a bag ripening. I'm not sure I want to break any laws by shipping to NZ however. I didn't notice that bit.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Okay - how bout Oklahoma? I ordered some seeds of A. serratum from J.L. Hudson. They do carry a few unusual seeds. I check in and out of there from time to time because they add to their list. I have heard they are a good source. Not for NZ, but for the states.

Susan

• shadycharacterplants
    18 years ago

I have LOTS of arisaema- consanguineum, candidissimum, tortuosum, erubescens, flavum, to name a few. Let me know if you are interested.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Wouldn't we in the states have to get phytosanitary certificates to get seed from overseas?

Susan

• MacDaddy
    18 years ago

Susan, I can send you some. Email me with an address.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

MacDaddy - thanks bunches. I am getting ready to begin winter sowing now. Have my potting soil ready and need to prepare my containers. Thanks for the offer; I really appreciate it. I am praying for A. nepenthoides to return, and I found some others I'd like to order from Heronswood this spring. I like the giants best, and those with the unique spathe/spadix.

Any suggestions on what to purchase?

Susan

• MacDaddy
    18 years ago

Susan,

I am a novice when it comes to aroids.

The berries are ripe. I will be sending berries, not cleaned seed. You need to clean them before you plant them. Email me with how many you want. Neither of you indicated how many you need.

-Brian

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

5 would be fine, but please see my other post under your thread offering of seed.

Susan

• ajbroomenz
    18 years ago

shadycharacterplants said...

> I have LOTS of arisaema- consanguineum, candidissimum,
    > tortuosum, erubescens, flavum, to name a few.

Is that you David? Will you be in New Plymouth this coming weekend (13/14/15)?

Whoever it is, I'd be keen to see a list of what Arisaema you have, I may have some different bits and pieces...

Feel free to e-mail me.

Andrew.

• gippi50
    18 years ago

shadycharacterplants said..
    >>

I couldn't send you a mail: the page returns an error.

this my e-mail

studio.pozzitaubert@tiscali.it

I'm interested in getting seeds by you if you send me a list....
    Gippi

• igloofrank_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

è una .. calle.. per giardino ... certamente molto più ... esotica
    ciao

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor