Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yewmonger

Need Transpanting Help

yewmonger
9 years ago

First, I'm not much of a gardener - please make any responses simple! I'm in SE Michigan. I've got this old rhody growing out behind my garage, and I've been trying to propagate it for some time. About 2 years ago, there was a branch that had grown close to the ground, so I scraped a bit of bark off, put some rooting hormone on it, and buried it, per instructions I found on the web.

It seems to have taken, this spring I cut the branch to the mother plant and the little ones seem to be doing OK. I took the pictures(sorry for the poor quality) last summer, and a couple of them have grown to about 8 inches tall this year.

{{gwi:396366}}

{{gwi:396369}}

I'd like to transplant these, but want to make sure I go about it correctly. I can identify 4 separate stems coming out of the ground, but I'm assuming they are all still connected to 1 root system? This is one of the things I'm unsure of, and I'm not comfortable enough with working with these things to just dig them up and look.

Can I just dig the whole group up, cut into 4 pieces and replant? I wouldn't mind transplanting the whole group together, if necessary, but I'd prefer to split them.

Thank you for any help!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert