Software
Houzz Logo Print
zjw727

Gruss an Coburg

14 years ago

I'm seriously considering planting Gruss an Coburg next Spring. Although Hybrid Teas are not generally something I'm interested in, but I find some of the older varieties to be fascinating: this one, with its subtle coloring and reputedly strong fragrance, seems to fit the bill. Has anyone ever grown it, or other similar roses, such as Comtesse Vandal? Any experience-based informnation regarding color, scent, growth habits, disease issues, etc. would be appreciated.

Comments (16)

  • 14 years ago

    zjw, I've grown many older HTs, but they have been here in the mid California desert or in California Savannah climates. Neither of those would have much to correspond to where you are. Paul Barden would be the most authoritative information you could hope for as he's fairly close to where you are and has probably grown more of them than pretty much anyone else around. He has stated none of the HTs have proven themselves hardy enough nor disease resistant enough for him to maintain after many years of growing them.

    With that said, I've loved most of the ones I've grown. Nearly all have been own root which I propagated, though several I budded and found them even better plants and bloomers. Comtesse Vandal was gorgeous, very classic with no fragrance and more than her share of mildew. Gruss an Coburg had a scrumptious color...for as long as it lasted before bleaching out to "early Austin buff". Its foliage was deep green and very pretty, until it rusted. There is a very strong fragrance to it, too. It didn't cut well as it blows pretty quickly. The Comtesse cut and lasted very well in a vase. I loved how nearly every one of her blooms were nearly identical to the marvelous illustration in McFarland's Roses of the World in Color.

    But, as I said, my experiences with them would be worlds different from what you are likely to experience. You have no where near the intensity of heat and sun, and much more fog, rain and groundwater. What you might consider doing is obtaining a root stock suitable to your soil, water and climate then learning to bud your own as I'd imagine most would be much better in your conditions budded, than on their own roots.

    If you wish, feel free to browse the list of roses which passed through the old garden at the link below. If there are any you have questions about, please ask. Kim

    Here is a link that might be useful: A Hidden Sanctuary

  • 14 years ago

    I agree with most of what Kim had to say about 'Gruss an Coburg'. I don't have to deal with rust; I do, however, have to contend with blackspot, and GaC is certainly not immune to that malady (altho there are more modern HTs that are far worse BS magnets).

    I became interested in GaC upon reading Greenmantle Nursery's comments about it. In general, I've been pleased with my plant. I have to admit, tho, that Kim's comment about fading is accurate. I advise you to keep it in a location where it's protected from midday and afternoon sun. This is another old HT that I would sure like to find as a grafted plant.

    Here's a link to Greenmantle . . . you may have to scroll down to find the section on GaC.

    Here is a link that might be useful: 'Gruss an Coburg' @ Greenmantle

  • 14 years ago

    I've had an own root Gruss an Coburg in my no-spray yard for 10+ years. It does well in the mild climate here--very little disease (a touch of rust, especially if I neglect watering) and lovely blooms. Stays quite a manageable size.

    Colleen

  • 14 years ago

    This is one of my favorite roses. One sniff one fateful day at Morcom Park in Oakland and I had to have it. A good grower own root here. Got BS this past, unusually wet Spring and dropped most of those first leaves, but it has never gotten rust or mildew.
    ~Debbie

  • 14 years ago

    Don't you love how, when fully expanded, this can remind you of a huge Perle d'Or, Debbie? Kim

  • 14 years ago

    Now that you mention it, Kim, yes. And, it does better here than Perle d'Or has ever done. ~ Debbie

  • 13 years ago

    I LOVE this rose!!! I'm SO glad I ordered it from Vintage Gardens! In terms of coloring and style, this rose seems to bridge the gap between "old" and "modern"...As Kim said, the color is "scrumptious". However, I can absolutely see how easily it would bleach out in strong sunlight. I doubt that I will have that problem- I'm more concerned with whether or not my fickle summer weather will be able to give it enough heat. That said, in its pot on my covered patio, in chilly February, its putting out a LOT of new growth. I'm extremely eager to see what happens between now and June. Thanks for the info!!!

  • 13 years ago

    How neat! I'm glad you planted it, zjw. If your climate can satisfy it, you're in for a treat. Kim

  • 13 years ago

    'Gruss an Coburg' was one of the more vigorous, productive of the older HTs I grew, but alas, it was another of those tragic martyrs to disease; if it wasn't defoliated by Blackspot, it was coping with some Rust and/or Mildew. For this reason it was D&D (dug and discarded) in 2009. I haven't missed it. Oh, it was a very pretty thing (although too sparse with the foliage for my liking) when you sprayed it every 10 days without fail, and a nice color when blooms were fresh, but the disease problem was a deal breaker. Curiously, I kept its immediate neighbor, 'Sutters Gold' as it was evaluated as being slightly better in terms of health, color and fragrance. There are few roses that compete with the scent of a newly opened bloom of 'Sutters Gold' on a warm summer's morning, not even the best of the Austins.

  • 13 years ago

    When the band arrived from Vintage, it had a few buds on it, and after a few weeks of watching the buds get bigger, regardless of the November chill, I cut them off. Inside the house, in a bud vase, they opened and ONE of the buds was so strongly scented that I could smell it from a foot away. Lovely!

  • 7 years ago

    It's beautiful but so far I have not succeeded in growing one well in the ground. It seems a bit cold tender in zone 7 and doesn't like part shade. I'd say it needs a good sunny site and a mild climate.

  • 7 years ago

    Of the Pernetianas in my garden, she is the most disease-free -- blackspot in early spring in bad years and that's about it. She is such a good, regular bloomer. Here she was last April:




  • 7 years ago

    When I smelled Gruss an Coburg at a nursery in California (a tiny plant in a 4" pot), I was so surprised at the incredible fragrance. One of the best fragrances in a rose that I have ever smelled. I'm jealous of those who grow it.

    Catspat - that is just gorgeous!

  • 7 years ago

    Obviously, things have gotten a bit "slow" on some of the forums, and many of the "old timers" aren't here anymore, so to juice it up and get people posting, old threads get recycled like a vintage clothing store. Seems to work for them. "We" keep playing along.

0