Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
choccolocco

Question.........Blue Spruce & Golden Rain Tree

choccolocco
13 years ago

Will a Blue Spruce do well in zone 7a if planted in a well drained area and kept watered?

Do you know a source for a six to eight foot Blue Spruce tree and a Golden Rain tree?

I live within driving distance to the Birmingham area and also pass through Montgomery occasionaly.

Thanks

Comments (6)

• john_trussville
    13 years ago

Hanna's Garden Shop on Hwy 280 just south of B'ham has had blue spruce in the past; I assume they still do. Don't know if they have the Golden Rain, though.

click on link for their contact info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hanna's Garden Shop

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

There are several Blue Spruce in the Huntsville area and I'd really consider this a border line climate. Can't imagine that they would be very happy farther south.

Golden Rain Tree should do perfectly fine. They are quite tolerant of many kinds of soils and climates.

• lsmcw
    13 years ago

A caution about Golden Rain Tree. They seed EVERYWHERE.

• terramadre
    13 years ago

I agree with the above statement. Pulling or digging dozens of seedlings every year is no fun. We had ours removed.

{{gwi:358775}}

• catbird
    13 years ago

By all means do remember the seeding habits of the raintree. There was one at the place where I worked for many years and it was beautiful. The first year I was there I brought home a seedling and planted it in my yard. The next year, after I realized how many seedlings were popping up everywhere at work, I pulled mine up and threw it on the compost pile. If you're into weeding, it is a lovely small tree, but buyer beware.

• jim_in_huntsville_al
    13 years ago

Take this for what it's worth: Years ago we lived in Nashville, TN and one Christmas I decided to buy a B&B blue spruce instead of a cut tree so I could plant it after the holidays. We had a contemporary house with a 30' ceiling & clerestory windows in the great room and frankly, it was usually pretty chilly and drafty in there, especially where we set it opposite of the wood stove. Knowing it would go through a thermal shock when we took it outside and transplanted it, we made sure that it was hydrated and then I set it in an unheated storage closet on the outside wall of the house for two days to let it better aclimate to the winter before I put it in the ground. This was before the internet age but I did go to the nursery which sold it to me for their instructions and followed them closely. It looked pretty good until the heat of the summer but eventually died even though I watered it 2-3 times a week. I have been afraid to try another blue spruce since then, although I've seen a few that seem to be doing OK here in Huntsville, especially up on Monte Sano mtn.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County