Software
Houzz Logo Print
kippy_the_hippy

Young Lycidas update

12 years ago

I know I need pictures, but I ran up there with the camera case and forgot I put the camera on the counter so I would not forget it (just extra lenses in the case)

Young Lycidas is busy putting on a show, a dozen or more giant fat blooms on the ends of his canes that smell wonderful. But some growth habit info for those thinking of purchasing one. The canes are thin, flexible and a good 6 feet long on a plant that is not three feet tall. Plenty of laterials like a good climber, but unless you plan on some type of cage (like a tomato cage) to hold the plant closer together, your blooms will be on the plants next to it. Part of the problem is the blooms are huge and heavy and the canes thin and flexible. The leaves are still small and wavy, but nice and healthy even though they look wrong.

Not sure if this would be a good rose for a tuteur, but that might help if you want to see the blooms with the plant they belong on.

Comments (21)

  • 12 years ago

    We look forward to seeing some pics. It will also be interesting to see how YL grows in other parts of the country since since places like California and Texas are notorious for growing extra BIG Austins.

    Maybe in another year or two, YL's canes will get stronger, but I have to admit that I let my Buff Beauty sprawl outward--its long canes extend about 6 ft outward on all sides--and she makes quite a showpiece that visitors often admire, so maybe YL will be an attention-getter like my Buff Beauty.

    If anyone else grows YL, how about letting us see your results so that we can compare?

    Kate

  • 12 years ago

    Spindly, horrible, dreadful plant with glorious flowers.

  • 12 years ago

    I haven't had mine very long but I already have a horrible, sinking feeling that mine will be a duplicate of hoovb's. I so looked forward to having this rose after everyone praised it some time ago, but its growth habit is totally wrong for where it's planted and, even in a more suitable spot, I don't think I would love its sprawly habit. Probably just another erratum in my ever-growing list of undesirables.

    Ingrid

  • 12 years ago

    Has anyone got him on a tripod or large tuteur?

  • 12 years ago

    I write this reply to people so often re lycidas lol. It needs to be cut to encourage branching. literally 6-12 inches max per stem then cut cut and cut again until you have a fractal looking frame. If you leave the stems long they collapse. think azalea or some other shrub - that's what it needs to end up like. I don't know why da don't include some pruning hints for varieties like this to stop people getting infuriated by it. I have one that has been in since it was released and it has a trunk at the base that yu couldn't get your hand around and from about 3 or 4 inches above the ground it is branching into dozens of dense stems that end up smothering the entire plant on huge scented blooms. It doesn't do much from the base once it gets going.

  • 12 years ago

    Here's one plant...

  • 12 years ago

    And the other. Tough to get plant shots at this time of year. The wall behind is 4'. I moved this one in April (I think?) of this year, so it's still recovering. There is more moisture in this spot so I hope it improves. That solid blob of foliage at the upper right is neighboring 'Tamora', who is a monster of foliage and canes and flowers.

  • 12 years ago

    This is mine, much denser growth, there are one or two long canes that are new growth, they will have to be cut back this winter.

  • 12 years ago

    I grow mine in a pot, pegged. This is YL in the spring, after a hard prune in Jan.

  • 12 years ago

    This is YL in the summer--after a light prune--notice the long canes on the right!

    This post was edited by prickles on Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 19:33

  • 12 years ago

    Don't laugh--because it's a losing battle and I'm getting lazy--YL in Oct.

  • 12 years ago

    Maybe I need to give mine some fertilizer.

  • 12 years ago

    Here is a photo of mine, I highlighted were the blooms are, since they are not near the plant.

  • 12 years ago

    After seeing those pictures, I can only conclude growing YL will be "challenging".

    Ingrid

  • 12 years ago

    I have concluded that it is going in a pot and will be closely watched. OMG!!!

    Lynn

  • 12 years ago

    Caldonbeck's picture shows the value of traditional shrub-rose pruning. Take a firm hand with roses that throw long shoots.

  • 12 years ago

    1st year - nice rose.
    2nd year - loses its leaves, blooms are not pretty, it gets blackspot, the shape of the blooms and the growth habbit reminds me of a Tea rose. Not impressed.

  • 7 years ago


    This is the Young Lycidas here. I don't get the floppy canes, but it is pretty compact. Not in a great spot and it was bad last year for lack of water. It's doing better this spring, and I'm going to make sure to supplement it with hand waterings.

  • 7 years ago

    Beautiful flowers, that's undeniable, but this rose scares me. I will just admire it here when it's shown.

  • 7 years ago

    I don't understand why Young Lycidas would scare you, Ingrid. Mine is extremely healthy, and I have never sprayed it. It is a profuse bloomer with beautiful individual flowers that are old-fashioned and very fragrant. It does have some canes that flop under the weight of the big, heavy flowers, but that is becoming less and less of a problem as the plant matures and develops more and more substantial canes. I just cut the weak canes short after they have bloomed. I have a number of favorites in my garden, including Olivia Rose Austin, Tamora and Boscobel, but I would say that Young Lycidas ranks up there near the top of my list (my Olivia Rose Austin is so beautiful at this time that I am unable to consider any other rose to be my favorite).