Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldpianogarden

Variegated banana clumps w/green pups

goldpianogarden
13 years ago

I have several variegated banana clumps all over my yard here in Brunswick, GA.....all ones I originally bought from Thailand and places like that. This year, I have several solid green pups that have come up in the clumps. I was wondering if I should remove there, for fear of the clumps slowly reverting to the green, or if they are safe to leave... Thanks!

Comments (5)

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I would move them but you can grow them for your own enjoyment maybe in hopes that it, or its pups will revert back. But I dont think its something you want leave on.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I would move them but you can grow them for your own enjoyment maybe in hopes that it, or its pups will revert back. But I dont think its something you want leave on.

• statenislandpalm7a
    13 years ago

Many bannanas have to be at least a foot tall to start showing color. Give them some time if they are not vareigated you can still trade them or sell them

• sfhellwig
    13 years ago

I am curious about reversions myself and have some studying to do. However I don't believe that bananas revert. I know that on variegated Japanese Maples if a branch reverts you must cut it off as it will continue to grow green and will be more vigorous. Blood Grass is the same, the reverted sprouts will crowd out the good colored shoots. I suppose anything can happen but I have never seen any of my bananas change their coloration. I only have a few but have not heard of it from anyone else. So hopefully they will color up soon and someone please correct me if I'm incorrect.

• jus256
    13 years ago

How much do these variagated bananas from Thailand cost?