Software
Houzz Logo Print
mrbreeze_gw

effects of hydrogen peroxide on seedlings

21 years ago

I'm hoping someone can explain to me how h2o2 works in the treatment of bacterial rot in seedlings.

I'm specifically talking about orchid seedlings, more specifically, plants that are newly removed from flask and are in a community pot situation etc. These seedlings will have been used to 100% humidity and will have received all their nutrients from the agar media. Once out of the flask, the seedlings get exposed to fluctuating temps and humidities and no longer have the agar for nutrients. They tend to lose the roots that had grown into the media and during the transition stage before they grow new roots and 'harden off' they are VERY sensitive to fungus and bacteria. Thus, it is often recommended that they be treated with peroxide and fungicides.

I understand (basically) how fungicides work and why they're recommended. I do know that peroxide is used both as a preventative treatment and as a treatment for existing problems. I'd like to know why it works. What effect does it have on the plant tissue? Does it kill the bacteria or strengthen the plant or both? Does it only kill anaerobic bacteria? What about concentrations? I have 3% and have sprayed it diluted by about half. Is that too strong? etc. etc.

Any words of wisdom on the topic are appreciated.

MB

Comment (1)

Sponsored