Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardencrazy_gw

Sedum Seed

gardencrazy
14 years ago

What about Sedum Seed? Can you see them? How do you know when the Sedum has set Seed. When Token sent me Sedum seed back in the winter I thought he forgot the seed. The little bag had some little specks of crum looking things in it. But I W/S it anyway and I got 4 nice sedum plants.

My Sedum Autumn Joy still has a redish color on the flower head. I want to collect seed from them but do not know what to do. And will the frost kill the seed?

Comments (20)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

I collected sedum seed very late last year, maybe Nov or Dec. I picked it like a bouquet, and brought it in, and then shook each sedum head over a piece of white printer paper. I just harvested the seeds from the heads as they were wanted/needed. I then wrapped them up in tissue paper labeled them, and put in a little plastic envelope.

Sedum seeds come to mind when I see so many folks recommend sending 1/4 or 1/8 ts if seeds are small. Heck, all of my sedums wouldn't yield 1/4 ts of seeds so it really can't be recommended that 1/8 (or 1/4) ts be used as a measure for very small seeds.

Sue

• token28001
    14 years ago

Does anyone know if a variegated sedum will reproduce variegated plants? I have both solid and striped. They're the upright variety, like Autumn Joy.

• v1rt
    14 years ago

Sedum is very easy to propagate. I don't trim my sedum in fall or winter. In spring, I still have dead hard branches of them and still up. Once I see small growth at the bottom, I break them and transplant them. They're tough as nails.

I also pinched a low growing sedum from a friend's garden. It was 1" tall. I planted it and now it's like 3" tall.

When Mone gave me plants, there was one broken sedum about 1" long also on the pot. I also planted it and it's alive today.

Here is my sedum autumn joy.
    {{gwi:439730}}

14 years ago

Does anyone know if a variegated sedum will reproduce variegated plants?
    I'm not sure about those varieties, but a member gave me a sedum grown from Neon seed and it is not exactly like the Neon I bought, but it is neater...shorter and more vibrant.
    My guess is that they most likely will not result in variegated plants.

Sue

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

I have always been puzzled by questions on Sedum seeds. Why bother growing from seeds when they are so very easy to grow from cuttings or divisions. Any broken stems lying on the ground will grow new plants too.

They are also very difficult to kill. Those pieces that I tossed would survive even with their roots exposed.
    I have 3 different kinds that I need to divide in spring: 'Autumn Joy' & 2 two kinds of low growing sedum that I forgot the name. I can send you chunks and pieces in spring. I'll dig them up for the June plant swap that Ellen is planning too.

• floodthelast
    14 years ago

I find it easier to sow tiny seeds of sedum and heuchera by filling the small plastic baggie I got them in with water and pouring it into the cup I want them to grow in. It worked with all my seeds. Much easier than trying to get them out other ways.

• northforker
    14 years ago

That is a great idea (to add water and pour)! I will remember that for tiny,tiny seed.

I have a wonderful low growing/creeping sedum that I got as a few cuttings from a friend. It is about 6" high and gets nice yellow flowers. It is perfect right up against the walking slate in my garden paths and I wanted a LOT of it to fill these "pain in the neck to weed" places. I could not figure out the seed last year, so I just crumbled the dried flowers up - seeds/chaff/all of it. WSed the whole baggie and got tons of plants. If I am not trading the seed (where I feel compelled to send clean seed)I find it very easy to do this with lots of flowers that have hard to find/hard to work with seed. I recommend the "just crumble it" method!

Nancy

• gardencrazy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you to everyone for the great advice. I will try it all. I took 3 cuttings of Sedum from my FIL last spring and they rooted so quickly that in 3 weeks I planted into flower bed and they flowered in the fall. I was amazed. The seed I WS this winter did so good also. They are flowering too (maybe they are the neon cause they are bright pink unlike the autumn joy) and being a WS junkie I just have to try collecting the seed also! Can't let them babies go to waste. lol. But I did not know that you can divide them. Do you really just dig them up and divide? FIL has a huge massive clump. I bet they need divided! hehe
    Glenna

• bookjunky4life
    14 years ago

I had a big mound of the kind of sedum like autumn joy but its a pink/lavendar blooms. THe blooms have just got done, as in they're not pink/lavendar anymore. I prepared about a 3 by 3 foot area and just stuck in little cuttings all over the place. I don't know if its too late in the season for them to root. But this is always how I've grown them since I was really little. I also cut off the flower heads and stuck them in a card board box, hoping they'll dry and I can try to WS the seeds. Will there be mature seeds since I didn't let the blooms mature/dry out while still on the stalk?

14 years ago

Will there be mature seeds since I didn't let the blooms mature/dry out while still on the stalk?
    I would guess not, as here in my zone (the same as yours) the seeds will not be ready for harvest for probably another moth or so.

You can try them of course and see if they release from the spent flower heads later, and plant them. You might get something a bit different and really pretty.

Do you really just dig them up and divide? FIL has a huge massive clump. I bet they need divided! hehe
    I would not suggest doing it any more this fall, but instead do it first thing next spring when it starts to emerge. I kind of think the upright sedums are capable of being left undisturbed for years and year without it being detrimental to them in any way.

Sue

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

My garden soil is rich with compost and organic matters, so my Sedum 'Autumn Joy' grows big and tall. The clumps need to be divided every 3rd year or so. Or they flop open in the middle.

The ones grown in poor soil don't grow as tall so don't really need to be divided as often.
    I am sure your FIL's Sedum can be divided. He may want more for his garden too. :-)

• vera_eastern_wa
    14 years ago

I normally cut my Sedum 'Autumn Joy' back in early summer when it first starts making flower buds because I like it to bloom in fall. I remove the flower buds and use these clippings as cuttings. Find a place and stick them in the ground and within 1 week to 2 they will be rooted. Very easy!!

Any of my ground cover sedums I just remove pieces and do the same. For these just scratch of the soil surface enough to lay the pieces/leaves just barely under the surface. Keep moist but not too wet and they root pretty quickly!

Vera

• karendee
    14 years ago

I have a sedum I got from the Chicago swap. I have pinched off stems and leaves and put in plastic cups with dirt. Now I have 7 small plants from one small plant. it almost looks like the cuttings grow faster than the plant.

I love sedum!!!
    Karen

• gardencrazy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They are great. Two weeks ago I found a broken piece laying on a table at lowes. I couldn't just leave it there to die. So I stuck it into a pot of something I was buying and took it home and it has roots already:)

• liza070831
    14 years ago

Isn't sedum wonderful. Part of my mother plant was half mowed down but I just picked up the pieces, stuck them in the ground and they are growing just great.

• karendee
    14 years ago

I have some pink sedum that I ws'ed and it is just blooming. they are smaller plants but were easy to grow from seed also. Yesterday I was out seed collecting and thought I might get some from the pink ones. Not yet they still have small flowers.

I got the seed from an SASBE last year. I hope I can gather some seeds and maybe propagate some too.

Karen

• tracylynn121273
    7 years ago

Hi it's been since 2009 since anyone left a comment but I'm going to try. My mother in law passed in Dec 2015 and we dug her plants up took home to be planted with us. There Autumn Joy I assume being a newbie to this plant . It has taken off like a wild fire already 1 to 2 feet high . My question is how do I cut and when to start rooting them. I'd love to fill my walkway with her favorite plant. I have two that are huge and I found 2 pieces in the dirt with roots I thought it got separated but maybe it broke and rooted themselves? Any help would be appreciated so I can keep this wonderful plant going another 100 years.

Thank you

Tracy

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    7 years ago

Hi Tracy, are you still with us? You could 'divide' the sedum, sort of ;0), by cutting out a bit with roots from the outer edge of a clump and moving it.

You can take cuttings now in early summer: In early summer when plants are actively growing and the stems have gotten tall enough to take cuttings, use clean pruning shears to remove stems that have four to six leaf nodes. Take off the bottom two pairs of leaves before putting the stems into soilless potting medium to root. Use commercial cactus and succulent mix or make your own media by combining equal parts of peat and perlite. Small, shallow pots are best for rooting the cuttings, because shallower containers allow the soil to dry out quickly between waterings. Put the bottom part of the stem into the potting medium and place the container in bright, indirect light. After a few weeks, tug gently on the stem to check for rooting. When it resists being pulled, roots are forming.

And you can winter sow the seeds after it blooms. Take a dried flower head and tap it over a sheet of white paper to see and collect the seeds, they are small. The seeds will germinate without winter sowing, they don't need the chill, but winter sowing makes it easy.

And of course - my sympathies on the loss of your mother in law.

• tracylynn121273
    7 years ago

Hi yes I am still here as its the only post that has answered I guess this is where I'll stay! Thank you for your answer I will tomorrow take a cutting and try my green thumb (lol)

I have had great luck with the two I planted knowing not what they were so cross ur fingers this goes well.

I have found yet another small sedum in a box of dirt should I winter her or plant and hope for the best. ?

Thank you she was a very lovely lady greatly missed.

Talk soon mb so pictures soon

Sponsored