Software
Houzz Logo Print
pieter_gw

Some flowers today

20 years ago

Echinofossulocactus hastatus

{{gwi:471222}}

Mammillaria saboae

{{gwi:471224}}

Mammillaria gracilis 'Antje'

{{gwi:471226}}

Enjoy!

Pieter

Comments (12)

  • 20 years ago

    Just lovely!

  • 20 years ago

    Neat flowers Pieter.
    Could you tell some more about the name of the last one? Strange name in the cactusworld don't you think. My imagination jumps to a lady in old fashioned costume on wooden shoes somewhere in the desert finding this species.
    greetz hablu

  • 20 years ago

    Hi,
    This last one is a Dutch cultivar, not a true species. That's also the reason teh name Antje is written between the accents.
    Pieter

  • 20 years ago

    Nice flowers and photos.

    Thanks for posting. I like the mamm saboae and it has been on my list of wants for a while as I like the large flowering mamms.

    Toni-Marie

  • 20 years ago

    Hi Toni-Marie, This saboae is not very easy to find in Europe, but its close relative haudeana shouldn't be too difficult. Shall I buy one for you next time I'm at De Herdt? They usually have this species for sale.
    Pieter

  • 20 years ago

    Hello

    I owe you some plants still, don't I? You know I still have a bunch sitting here intended for you and they have grown a bit since I first put them aside, haha.

    I'll email you privately to give more details of what I have to send and then get them sent off......finally...

    Since my collection has grown quite a lot and space is limited, I have now limited myself to certain types of cacti that I like the best. I like blooms so anything that is a good bloomer is in and also a few more perculiar types that are interesting in their own right...without blooms.

    Large flowering mamms are one of the types I go for with the added bonus of them being small and compact and many of them are also choice species.
    I just recieved mamm albicans today which I got off ebay.

    I know of plenty of online nurseries in the UK that do Mamm saboae, I just haven't gotten around to ordering one yet, lol.

    Also, my sister and I keep looking at that A. Asterias you sent me and it is looking more like a super kabuto all the time. It hasn't got much less flecking on it than the super kabuto that Gringo sent me.
    I should take a photo and let you look.

    Toni-Marie

  • 20 years ago

    Or else I could come to get them at your place ;-)
    Yes about that A. asterias, I bought the seeds as being normal asterias but I also think they must have been polluted with super kabuto genes. I still have 4 left from that batch and they all look great. One of them only has 7 ribs, another has flecks in lines along the ribs (like a haku-jo, but not as strong). It might become a beautiful plant ;-) But nothing compared with the superkabuto I got from Gringo (plant from Miles) as that plant is almost completely white...

    Pieter

  • 20 years ago

    Pieter,

    I cannot get my Mamm saboae to bloom ( not that I really know what to do but look at it & wonder?? LOL) I just don't know whether to kick in more water or not right now.

    dvl

  • 20 years ago

    That's as fine a set of flowers on the E. hastatus as I've yet seen. Thanks for that post and the others as well.

    Al

  • 20 years ago

    Haha, yes, if you want to come here and collect them, you're welcome, lol.

    I sent you an email with the list if plants. There are quite a variety including echinopsis hybrids, rebutia hybrids, noto, pachphytum that you wanted, lobivia, chamaelobivia and more.

    My kabuto from Gringo is still only small yet and I know that their markings develop as they mature so I'm waiting to see how that one turns out.

    Have you heard anything from Gringo lately? I know he lost a lot of plants to the cold the winter before last but I've not seen or heard from him in ages.

    Toni-Marie

  • 20 years ago

    Hmmm Gringo seems to have disappeared from the internet. The last time I heard from him was last autumn I think. I have my doubts he's still much into cacti. Not sure, just thinking...

  • 20 years ago

    My saboae has been watered only twice this season, so lack of water won't be your problem I suppose...

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH