Software
Houzz Logo Print
ariole

Orostachys pic

19 years ago

Posting this just for fun. Hope you like it.

Clic on pic for larger image

Al

{{gwi:471316}}

Comments (20)

  • 19 years ago

    I want one !

  • 19 years ago

    This is Orostachys? I have never seen a variegated one...it's SO cool. and if Orostachys, probably hardy here. ;)

    May I ask where you found this?

    Dave
    Zone5
    Milwaukee

  • 19 years ago

    Dave, it was a gift from another collector.

    Orostachys malacophyllus v. iwarenge 'Fuji'

    Al

  • 19 years ago

    Looks tasty, mint flavoured perhaps ;)

  • 19 years ago

    How adorable! ^^

  • 19 years ago

    Thanks Al...I'll have to look around...;)

    Dave
    Milwaukee

  • 19 years ago

    Is it possible to NOT like this one?! I think it looks wonderful!

  • 19 years ago

    And Hardy! out door hardy!

  • 19 years ago

    It's adorable, Al!

  • 19 years ago

    Gosh!!!

    I'm sure happy you all like this one.
    Dave, not wanting to rain/snow on any parade, but I seriously doubt if it's hardy in zone5. I'm in zone7 and keep this treasure inside.

    Al

  • 19 years ago

    O. iwarenge is hardy here Al. I have yet to find an Orostachys that is not. ;) Check your source on this one. I think you might be surprised, especially in zone 7. I currently have malacophyllus, iwarenge, fimbriatus, spinosum, spinosum minor, and some Skrocki(sp) hybrids. All are hardy so far.

    Dave
    Milwaukee
    a frigid zone 5 (hehehe)

  • 19 years ago

    Dave, should my plant prove hardy or not, I'm ultra impressed with your list of Orostachys. If time permits and you have the inclination, would you be so kind as to post pics of some of yours? Please.

    Al

  • 19 years ago

    I sure will

  • 19 years ago

    Just beautiful, charming variegation: lusting from afar!

    I first saw these a couple of yrs. ago & though I'd try some, but heard they need strong light, perhaps as much as Crassulas, which don't work so well for me here in NYC.

    Can you confirm or deny pls. if they need strong light or not?

  • 19 years ago

    I grow outside under light shade in summer. This one can be a real pita to maintain. No offsetts unless the growing point is destroyed. Doesn't come variegated from seed so when it blooms, without offsetts, it's done.

    Al

  • 19 years ago

    How cold do you keep your's Al? As you would a Semp? Do you have any more of interest?

  • 19 years ago

    Dave, forgive me for being dense.

    All my Semps are outside all year with less sun than I might like -- 10 till 2 or so.

    You ask if I have any more of interest. Are you referring to Orostachys? I have 3 or 4 surviving kinds but no longer with names. The diversity of my c&s inside is the collection of one gone out of control. The list of hardy cacti living in pots outside is much more limited.

    Probably not what you were seeking.

    Al

  • 19 years ago

    A fun pic:

    {{gwi:471318}}

    Al

  • 19 years ago

    I will have to take some pics of mine and send them or post here. Some Orostachys do better than others for me. All of mine are planted outdoors in my cactus garden. But for your variegata I would say definitely do not risk it this way. Most iwarenge that I have seen send out massive numbers of offsets on their own...if this does not then it is too valuable to risk it blooming. Is there anyplace commercial that sells Orostachys? I hardly ever see them offered. Even Squaw Mountain is limited this year. I love these plants, as you can tell.;)

    Dave

  • 19 years ago

    That is a great looking plant. It very closley resembles Echeveria subsessilis 'variegated'.

0
Sponsored