Software
Houzz Logo Print
ohio_green_thumb

Fenestraria aurantiaca

20 years ago

Waiting for this one to bloom gives me a sense of what it must be like to be an expectant father outside of the delivery room, without the pacing of course! It's one of my favorites, probably because I almost killed it but it forgave me and survived despite my inexperienced cultivation techniques!

Please ignore the slug damage that it suffered this summer. I'll be more diligent about killing the little slimeballs next year. Also, any white spots you might see are not mite damage but "husband painting the porch in a hurry" damage!

Amy

{{gwi:486763}}

{{gwi:486765}}

{{gwi:486766}}

{{gwi:486767}}

Comments (6)

  • 20 years ago

    Nice pics. I recently learnt that it is now considered that there is only one species of Fenestraria, being Fenestraria rhopalophylla.
    I grow two distinct forms of this plant. They differ by the size of the leaves, one being significantly larger than the other. This is not due to cultivation differences since they have been grown beside each other for several years and have stayed true to original. Perhaps they are varieties or subspecies? Has anyone else observed this?

    Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Desert Tropicals site

  • 20 years ago

    I checked GRIN taxonomy & they have 3 listed:
    Fenestraria rhopalophylla
    Fenestraria rhopalophylla ssp. aurantiaca
    Fenestraria rhopalophylla ssp. rhopalophylla

    Unfortunately, I do not know what characteristics distinguish them from each other. I always thought "aurantiaca" would indicate a yellow flower. As far as leaf size, I have no idea.

    Nice pix of your pretty plant, Amy!

    ~Rosemarie

  • 20 years ago

    F. rhopalophylla ssp aurantiaca has yellow or orange flowers and is found at the southern end of the species range near the border between South Africa and Namibia. F. rhopalophylla ssp rhopalophylla has white flowers with a yellow centre and possibly some yellow in the petals and is found at the northern end of the range in Namibia. I believe that the natural ranges for the two species are completely separate. Flower colour varies quite a lot by habitat location and some with very strong colours have been collected as cultivars. I've seen a lot of variation in leaf size but I don't know if it corresponds with the subspecies. I know if you fertilise you can get some really huge leaves.

  • 20 years ago

    Since I have no idea where mine might have originated, should I change the name to F. rhopalophylla ssp aurantiaca since it has solid yellow flowers?

    Amy

  • 20 years ago

    Another nice little mesemb Amy. My, how names change... F. rhopalophylla was once considered a form af aurantiaca the difference being that rhopalophylla has the white flower (to 30mm), which is smaller than aurantiaca (up to 70mm), and rhopalophylla offset less freely.
    I have 2 species of Frithia, (humilis and pulchra) but I have not seen Fenestraria on any plant list for many years... so for me it exists only on my wish list at the moment.

    Cheers, CP

  • 15 years ago

    I bought "baby toes" and it had one yellow flower, fully opened and looked great. Later that day, the flower closed. I assumed it would open again in the morning, but it didn't. I have 3 more buds. How long do the flowers last?

0
Sponsored