Software
Houzz Logo Print
deefar

Please ID

20 years ago

This first pic I am almost positive that it is a Mammillaria rhodantha

{{gwi:493333}}

Could this also be a some form of a M. rhodantha

{{gwi:493334}}

I'm not sure what kind of Mammillaria this is

{{gwi:493335}}

Thanks for your help,

Dawn

Comments (12)

  • 20 years ago

    Dawn,
    I just bought one of these the other day (at least I think they look the same) & it was tagged as Mammillaria bombycina. Doesn't mean it's correct, but something to check out. I haven't done that fully yet. A couple I've seen look close.
    Here's mine:

    {{gwi:493332}}

    ~Rosemarie

  • 20 years ago

    Yep, I think Rosemarie has got it! Mamm bombycina!, I think you might be right about #1 looks like rhodantha, not sure about #2 though, looks more like a haageana ssp conspicua, (or M. vaupelii which is also haageana ssp. conspicua), all my books are packed away until renovations complete so I can't check. S&B may be able to confirm.

    Happy new year. CP

  • 20 years ago

    The first one seems to be a regular M. rhodantha.

    The second one might be also, but is probably a M. haageana. Look to see if the tubercles are at all four-sided, particularly where they join at the base, that would be M. haageana. Also look for areoles that have less than four central spines, which I think I see on some of them. Two centrals would mean M. haageana. More than four centrals would mean M. rhodantha.

    The last one is M. bombycina.

  • 20 years ago

    The second plant has hooked spines. Not alot though. Here is a pic to show them. Some of the areoles have 2 cenral spines and some have 3 cenrals. The hooked spines have me baffled.

    {{gwi:493337}}

    Thanks,
    Dawn

  • 20 years ago

    Maybe M. rekoi then?

    CP

  • 20 years ago

    CP, I took the name Rekoi and did some research. I think it is a M. rekoi ssp. krasuckae. I did find some areoles that have 4 centrals and it does have wooly patches. The old flower buds that were on the plant appeared to be pinkish, but it was hard to tell because they were so dried and shiveled. Hopefully it will flower again soon so I can give this plant a name. Thanks.

    Happy New Year!!!
    Dawn

  • 20 years ago

    My first pic of the Rhodantha, could it be a ssp. fera-rubra?

    Dawn

  • 20 years ago

    I don't think so, just looks like the straight species to me.

  • 20 years ago

    Thanks for everyones help.

    Dawn

  • 20 years ago

    Hi everybody!

    The first plant is Mammillaria rhodantha ssp pringlei (a reddish spined form). The third one is Mammillaria bombycina.

    cheers

    Robi

  • 20 years ago

    ok dawn, you know i am not a cactus collector, but about #3 - and now i will show my ignorance - those short white spines are just too cool and with the long fishhooks, well, they look a bit like a fireworks display to me. very striking plant and great pic too! tfs - jo

  • 20 years ago

    Jo, If you would like to have the plant I can send it to you when I send you my box of goodies, just lmk.

    Dawn

Sponsored