Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sahoyaref

Anyone order from Breck's Bulbs before?

sahoyaref
18 years ago

I got their catalogue in the latest Canadian Gardening mag. They have a lifetime guarantee on all their bulbs, and they claim to be the best anywhere. If you get what you pay for, they must be the best, because their stuff sure is expensive!!!! Anyone have experience with them?

Comments (32)

• mollyzone5
    18 years ago

I ordered last year,used the coupon, everything bloomed ok.Also bought tulips ,daffodils,lilys etc,marked down at Home Depot,Zehrs and other stores.The ones I got at the stores bloomed ok also.The only difference,price.I guess if you want the real fancy stuff you have to pay more.I will use the coupon this year for Tom Pounce lilies, but thats all, so I will get them FREE,and thats the best deal.

• shafferlc
    18 years ago

I just got a bunch of bulbs from Breck's this year because of that $25 coupon. I was pretty disappointed. I ordered from Spring Hill, Hirt's and Van Engelen and all of them were better than Breck's. Breck's bulbs come from Holland, so the shipping took forever (3 weeksish), they arrived moldy, were mostly missing the onion skin stuff and there was at least one undersized one slipped in with each bag of ten. They were very expensive without the coupon. I would really recommend Van Engelen or Hirt's instead. With Van Engelen you need to order a lot (25 or 50 really isn't as many as it sounds anyway) but the price per bulb is great and they were large and healthy looking. They even allow you to change your order if it hasn't shipped yet. I only ordered saffron crocus (hard to find) from Hirt's but they arrived promptly, they're and they look great.

• leonhardt2
    6 years ago

I ordered an amaryllis from Brecksville on Nov 14th. It was the perfect gift for a picky person. I kept waiting to receive an email that they shipped it. Last evening (12/11/17) I did receive an email- but it stated the plant was out of stock and they cancelled my order!!! Two weeks before Christmas!!! No phone call or email to ask if I wanted to substitute or anything. In the email there was a 10% off coupon on my next order- like that is any help. When I called customer service I got a bored employee that just kept stating that the order was cancelled. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, she put me on hold for 5 min. Then came back stating I could get $5 off my next order. “No supervisor was available to take the call” I was told. Horrible service. Do not order from this company.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

Breck's Bulbs and Breck's Canada get terrible reviews on the Garden Watchdog, which is a mail order and online nursery clearinghouse and review site. I would never order from any company that did not receive satisfactory reviews on that site!!

btw, these are both associated with the Direct Gardening Association, which is a bunch of affiliated mail order nurseries that ALL share terrible reviews and bad customer service.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I have only ever placed one order to Brecks (that being about seven or eight years ago) and everything had arrived in good decent order and bloomed true to name, so I guess I was fortunate with that. A friend had an order arrive a year or two ago and said that everything was also in pretty good condition, though she later lost all plants due to her own stated neglect.

• PRO
    Rezen development
    3 years ago

I ordered 6 bulbs ($140.00) from Brecks Canada and 2 were completely dried up and the other 4 in rough shape. This is the first and last purchase that I make from them. They are expensive, very slow delivery and terrible quality.

• Susan Pommier
    3 years ago

I ordered three iris bulbs, early last June. Today, 10/8/20, I received two of them. One is out of stock. I'm disappointed because the two I received are dried up and will need to be thrown away. These bulbs were promised to be sent right away and I'm sure the three-month delay will be blamed on COVID. Isn't everything these days? COVID or no COVID, it shouldn't take three months to send two bulbs. This is the last purchase I'll be making from Breck's.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Fall planted bulbs - which bulbous iris are - are sent out in time for fall planting, not in the middle of summer! So while there might well have been a shipping delay, it was only a a matter of a few weeks, not a few months. I would not hold Breck's responsible for sending out the bulbs at a very appropriate time for planting!!

And if the bulbs are still solid and firm, not squishy or withered, then they are still in perfect shape for planting.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Rezen, that's a terribly high price for a mere six bulbs, what had you ordered ?

Susan, I'm in Canada and have at times ordered from Veseys, most of the stock I've received has been of rather good quality, some folks have reported otherwise though. In my region, bareroot iris season is now behind us, there simply does not remain sufficient time or warmth to follow for much rooting to occur, September planting is ideal for me.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    3 years ago

On twitter, I follow a lady that had shown a fantastic display of super nice really unique tulips all from Brecks.

Glad your bulbs arrived safely Angelacb !

• Gargamel
    3 years ago

I’ve ordered amaryllis and Daffodils from them and they’ve been nice bulbs

• FangJun Jia
    3 years ago

I ordered some peony one month ago, didn't get any shipping notification so far

• HU-189529956
    3 years ago

I order 9 jumbo arborvitaes in in August 2020 ($415). Received all 9 in October 2020. They were the smallest, skinniest shrubs I have ever seen. Properly planted them upon arrival. 4 of the 9 made it through the winter. 4/14/2021 Emailed my pics of the dead ones to Breck's for replacement, because there is no such thing as a refund at this scam house. Heard nothing for a week. Call customer service (some Indian call center) and was told they were already out of stock and I would not receive my replacements until next season! Who the hell wants a bunch of shrubs that are 2 seasons behind the rest in your landscape. This company's business model seems to be wrapped around their inability to receive lines of credit from their vendors. They sell a bunch of stuff they don't own, use your money to place orders to fulfill previous orders. They only exist because they take in millions of dollars in orders and collect interest on that money for months at a time. They are a scam and should be shut down for their shady business practices. If their long-time vendors do not trust them, should you? BAD,BAD,BAD company to do business with. Once they get their hands on your money, they are done with you.

• Emily Wolf
    3 years ago

Breck's is a scam company.

My first order was placed September 2020 for dahlias. Expecting spring shipping, I thought nothing of waiting for six months. However, weeks after estimated shipping, there was no product. Finally I got a your item has been shipped email. The next ten days the tracking information sat at pending. So I called and asked what exactly "pending" meant. I was told to wait another ten days. After that and still "pending" I was given a "replacement certificate" which I used the same week.

However, because it's Breck's....Today looking at my bank statement, I saw a -22.23 from Brecks. Not an email we're sorry your shipment has been cancelled. So I logged into my account and see that multiple items have disappeared from my order. Not only that, the balance for the order currently states $2.25. However, when I called customer service, I was told the replacement certificate balance used for this order was $50.93. This is very unsettling because neither of these numbers match each other at all, or the retail price of $13.99.

Because of this clear disregard for reality, I tried to cancel the order since it has not been shipped. There is no shipping information, there is no tracking information, and once again, a product that was supposed to be in port 3 days ago is now at least three weeks away. Yet I am told I am unable to cancel the order because it has already been shipped?

Run. Run. Run.

• Lucia Wong
    2 years ago

I ordered some bulbs from Breck's recently. When I called to follow up on my order this morning, ( According to my order form, today is the last day that my order should be shipped out ), the lady who answered my phone was of no help at all. In fact, she demonstrated a bad attitude about customer service, she said that she didn't know how to help me check my order , that she had no idea when the shipping department will ship out the orders, that she could not do anything for me. In short, she didn't want to help customers. I am quite disappointed with this kind of customer service and the employees attitude at the Breck's . This is my first time order from them, and will be my last time.

• HU-503831877
    2 years ago

Do NOT order from this company. My bulbs arrived 3 months late so too late to plant as ground was frozen - and they looked funny. Customer service was horrible, told me I was fine to plant in spring but of course they never grew...

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I ordered from Brecks for the first time this year, largely because of one particular hosta I'd not seen mail order before: 'First Blush'. I rounded out the order with some Siberian Iris, Incarvillea delavayi, Trycirtus and Creeping Phlox. The only one to struggle is the Creeping Phlox, the Trycirtus was supposed to be a pack of 3 and it arrived with only 2 roots, one of which was puny. I contacted them and they gave me a replacement certificate for the value, works for me!

Pieter

• Jeffrey Green
    2 years ago

Don't waste your money. I ordered just over $100 in dahlias, flox, bee balm and a lily in late January 2021. The package finally shipped in mid-May -- not good for the British Columbia garden season that was well advanced. The products shipped were in poor condiiton. The two types of dahlia tubers were badly broken -- the live crown on each of the four plants had only 1-3 tub ers attached. The rest were broken off. The phlox plant ($20) was a tiny stem in a small peat moss container -- surrounded by a large bag of peat. Nothing has sprouted after 4 weeks of warm weather. The bee balm (3 per package) consisted of one decent stem with two other stems so small I almost did not find them in the bag. I complained on the dahlias and got a refund. But when I submitted a complaint on the flox and bee balm -- they asked for photos of the product -- which I could not proivide since I planted all of the order. Although I told Brecks this, i got no response. So for $110 i basically received 3 lily bulbs worth $15.

• Lauri Mccormack
    2 years ago

BUYER BEWARE!!! Seems they never ship until you threaten them with a letter from your lawyer. They wont refund either, I am so disappointed, and this is a SCAM!!!

• Jeffrey Green
    2 years ago

After waiting the summer to see what came up in my $110 order, I got one lily plant and two small misshapen Dahlia plants (there should have been 6). No phlox @$22 and no bee balm. The dahlias I bought at Home Depot for a third of the price were spectacular. Brecks is a scam. They sell trash products and respond poorly to problem issues. Just google “Brecks Bulbs and complaints”; you’ll get an eye full. My experience is more the norm than the rare exception.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    2 years ago

I didn't have time to read the whole thread, but just to add, that Breck's has had a questionable reputation for a long time. If you want a reliable company to buy from you might try Garden Watchdog that reviews garden related companies.

• chankit08
    2 years ago

I rarely write comment online. But, please DO NOT order from this company. I placed an order about a month ago. 5 items came. I received an email that 2 items are in backordered, still haven't received them. They keep changing the date.

Now, I am chasing back for an item that I placed, but the customer service said I had never placed the item, instead they told me I placed something else which is out of stock. I told them I never placed that item, and I have the original order which was sent to my email. No supervisor available. Everytime I called, I am talked on the phone for an hour and a simple problem is not sloved. All I need is to have money ($15.98) back to my creditcard for the items out of stock. Not asking for more. Very very frustrated!!!

• Jeffrey Green
    2 years ago

I do not understand how this company survives. So many people have had major issues with them. they do notvstand behind their product and are cheap if not unwilling on refunds. It must be newbie gardeners who get sucked in with all the gorgeous photos

• Gargamel
    2 years ago

I have ordered from them a few years ago (amaryllis) and had no problem. Now I order bulbs from Vesey’s. There is very little choice (I find) in companies in Canada to order bulbs from.

• Debbie Chartier
    last year

Received my first order and one item never came they sent me soil with a label of my plant. Received the rest and they all look healthy.I have been waiting 4 days for a response from them .Will not order from them again 😒

• Jeffrey Green
    last year

I had an even worse experience. I ordered a variety of plants from Brecks in 2020. All of the "shrub-like" plants came in dry, dusty soil bags. Most of the tiny root masses were dead or look in poor heal;th -- none sprouted in to plants. All of the dahlias tubers were broken badly -- so the eye often had one or no tubers. Of the multiple dahlias I ordered, only 1 sprouted, the plant was stunted and died. So for $128 dollars of plants I ordered, only one of the lliles actully grew and flowered. Beck's refunded $25 dollars but it should have been more like $115. This company is a rip-off. Just google reviews of Brecks -- they have a rating of 1 out of 5 on multiple sites. Save your money and try other vendors or companies. Brecks is shameful.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    last year

Well, guess I'm a sucker for punishment and placed a small order this year and received it yesterday. I ordered Bletilla striata - got 4 in a package of 3-, Trycirtis, Monarda and another hosta -as if I needed another one. All potted up and we'll see how they do. Will keep this updated.

• Debbie Davis
    last year

I have purchased from Brecks for years. There have been times when a Hibiscus plants dies, or a daylily dies,and all I have had to do, was contact Breck's, and they promptly send me a new plant. I would highly recommend this company.

• NADINE STEGER
    last year

I have been begging for earlier shipment of replacement bulbs that didnt bloom. received bilbs today and how am i supposed to plant in 30 degree weather through snow? Guararantee doesnt cut it : I’d rather my money back and go elsewhere

• HU-949240781
    11 months ago

I just bought some dinner plate dahlia tubers from them. They were very expesive and terrible quality! I bought two plants and it was basically the dead stems from last year, but no tubers were attached. I’m sure nothing will grow from them. I would recommend avoiding this company!

• jvbonomo
    last month

I just received an order of 4 heuchera and a Hosta and all of it was garbage. For almost $90.00 I expected more than some dirt and roots I was sent. No stems on the Heuchera, just roots and dirt.