Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

My Cannas as indoor plants(pics)

v1rt
15 years ago

Tallest: Tropicanna Black

Variegated: Bengal Tiger

Glossy Maroon: Australia(I love it)

I decided to not put one of each to sleep. I'll be monitoring them how they progress on an area that only gets 30 mins of direct sun. Those were just prepared today.

I'll keep you posted after 2 weeks.

{{gwi:538884}}

{{gwi:538885}}

Comments (19)

• nynewbie
    15 years ago

Hi!
    I'm new with plants in general, and bought a canna pink sunburst in the spring. The foliage grew lots but it didn't flower - i guess it's too young?

I was wondering what is the secret to keeping the canna indoors during the winter? I keep mine in a pot on the rooftop, and don't really have a basement or garage to winterize it... sooo, can i just bring it indoors, place it by a sunny window (southern exposure) and water it occasionally? Or is there more to it?

Appreciate any feedback!

thanks!!
    judy

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

I can't imagine that they would not live through the winter however I think they will get a little leggy and need to start over when planted next spring.I have some canna stuttgart that I bought on e-bay and these are already sprouted,so I will be growing them in a south window.I think this particular variety will do well inside although it may turn a little more green inside untill it can be put out next year,I will let you guys know how they do and will post a pic of what they look like when I bring them inside and again in spring when they go back out and then again at the end of the season and then....well you get the idea-LOL

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi jimhardy,

Here is the latest pic as of 5 mins ago. The Australia put out a new leaf in 7 days. I love the new leaf that is coming out. It became a varigated yellow and maroon. I love the color combination very much! :) Looks like the foliage changes when it doesn't get enough sunlight.

I have not seen any canna like this. I can auction it on Ebay with a ButItNow button for $130. LOL. But honestly, I'm in love with the new colors.

{{gwi:538886}}

{{gwi:538887}}

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

Very cool,new leaf almost looks like a flower

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My firewall went down last Friday night so I didn't have internet access. It was only today that I was able to reinstall the o.s.

Btw, the yellow is vanishing. I will take a pic tomorrow and post it.

• nightrider767
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting pictures of your project. I'm going to try and do that with one of my plants. I don't expect too much, but I don't think I'll hurt the plant.

• scottneeley
    15 years ago

You might want to check that for virus, the spots on it are tell tale canna virus.

• mcbdz
    15 years ago

how about a weely update to give us something to look at this winter. :0)
    Pattie

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here you go. :) I added the ensete maurelii. It was previously at the south window about 2 ft away. However, it couldn't withstand the cold temperature draft. If you notice the leaf, there is a yellow spot. The yellow spot started during its new leaf stage.

Anyways, for the cannas, it's just ok. I think it will do better if it gets more sunlight. The only time it gets sun is from 9am to 9:30am and she'll be lucky if I will be able to open the blinds too which seldom happens.

What I have noticed is that they don't grow anymore. It does provide leaf. From the date from my picture above, it has only provided 2 new leaves.

I think the Australia Canna did grow. I will check after posting this. :)

{{gwi:538888}}

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi mcbdz,

I think I should post monthly rather than weekly as I don't see much changes to them.

Hopefully it's ok.

Thanks,

v1rt

• mcbdz
    15 years ago

I guess that's best. Just wish there where more pics. Mine look really ratty right now
    Pattie

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

That Australia one is a real beauty! Thanks for sharing your photo of it.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, Australia is tough as well as Tropicanna Black. The Bengal Tiger is weak. I'm having a hard time growing it. When I bought this, the seller told me she pulled it from a pond. She also told me that it will live in soil which it does. But again, it's weak.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is an update. Literally, it's not receiving anymore sunlight/heat for more than a month now. My Bengal Tiger died. It's not on the picture anymore. Hopefully, the rhizome that I dug the other day will make it when I plant it in spring.

Anyways, I put a rope led lights few minutes ago to apply some heat to the soil. Hopefully, that's what it's looking for. I'll monitor it for a week. I'm sad that's they're not doing well. I checked the temperature of the led lights and results fell in between 95F to 102F. Hopefully, something good will happen. I'll keep you posted.

{{gwi:538889}}

• cheerpeople
    15 years ago

Gosh, those are not happy canna. Maybe a south window will work better and really close to the window for max. sunlight. The Christmas lights are a nice festive touch! Also might be time to put them in storage before they exhaust the energy stored in the rhizome.

For those big leaves in a houseplant may I suggest Big Bird? This has been a wonderful houseplant. Here I just took a pic with christmas lights too! This is the black/white flowering form of bird of paradise. Giant bird of paradise. It was $20 at Home Depot on a 50% off sale. It has grown a foot and is almost touching my 10 ft ceiling.

:)

Just a thought--

{{gwi:538890}}
    Karen

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

Plants won't grow without light.
    And, seeing as these plants are indoors, I'd be more concerned with appropriate lighting than soil temperature. Good luck,

Josh

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is an update. I dug my Australia half an hour ago. However, after seeing the rhizome, I planted her back. I saw 3 new shoots. That means, the heat that the rope light was giving was helpful.

I also noticed that the water I was giving to her was not enough. It was very dry at the bottom. Also, I couldn't believe the length of the roots.

Anyways, I cut the roots so that it will regenerate more roots. I also cleaned her up. I'll update you next month. :)

What I will do is water it really deeply once a week. I'm not worried about bottom being wet since the medium I prepared has a good drainage.

This is how she was few minutes ago when I was about to decomission her. LOL.

{{gwi:538892}}

{{gwi:538894}}

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

How are they doing? Continued growth?

Josh

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I dug them because they were not looking well but rhizome looked fine. It's hard because there isn't enough sunlight. I was planning to put it under growth light but decided not to due to the electril bill.

If you look at my post on the other thread, I've been asking for help regarding reviving my rhizomes. I'll just hope that they make it by May. 4 more months of wait.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County