Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
_plantgrrl_

Aerogarden + Sarracenia= ?

plantgrrl
16 years ago

So just curious...I have an Aerogarden I got for christmas (yes it really works...yes it is easy to use) and have decided to try growing Sarracenia in it from seed. Has anyone else tried CP in the Aerogarden? If so, with what results. I'm going to try the Herbs setting and see how it goes but I would love some imput.

Don't know what it will do, but I've planted 50% Sarracenia, 50% Mimosa pudica (sensitive plants).

I'll post again if something grows. :)

Comments (6)

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Could you post a picture?

• sehtnepen
    16 years ago

Those aerogardens seem kind of small. You could most likely germinate stuff in it just fine, but you will have to transplant eventually. I don't really know what the humidity requirements are for Sarracenia germination since I only grow Nepenthes, but I do know they can take lower humidity at times. Aeroponics is by far the best way to grow a plant if you can keep up with the maintenance. It trumps hydroponics and traditional soil/media. The main problem is making a large enough container for the roots, once the plant gets bigger.

• ilbasso_74
    16 years ago

From what I've heard of them, don't they use some sort of nutrients to assist in the growing? That could be hazardous to CPs. Did you cold stratify the seeds first? They need that to grow.

I'm curious to see what happens. Do you know what kind of light it uses and the power?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

Yes they use tablet ferts definitely NOT for CPs!

Aerogarden does work but I don't think they're really CP compatible.

• plantgrrl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everyone!

I know it's been a little while. I just wanted to say, that though I appreciate your concern, aerogarden would just be an aeroponic vehicle to grow the Sarracenia in. You don't HAVE to use the fertilizer, you can add it or not at your discrection. So let me try again here. Using the aerogarden, with no fertilizer and river water (stream in front of my condo)--I am trying to start Sarracenia seeds. Does anyone have any experience with Sarracenia and aerogarden? I am wondering what photo period and pump settings would be most benificial. Currently I have it set to 'Herbs' cause that seems to be the most reasonable. The attached link in the light/pump period for the aerogarden. If anyone knows what setting will be the best I would appreciate it.

I will be transplanting the sarracenia and memosa when they reaches a transplantable size.

PS The Mimosa pudica are growing great! Still waiting for germination on the sarracenia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aerogarden pump/light cycle

• Kyle Polvere
    last year

So, 14 years later I am in same boat and curious if it ever worked for you.

Sponsored