Software
Houzz Logo Print
apiet

1950's bath - low cost update ideas?

14 years ago
Need help with low-cost ideas on how to clean up, modernize, improve, etc. our 1950's bath. Just bought the house and completely renovated the kitchen so we really don't have a budget for this "bathroom" improvement.

What I like about the bathroom: the sink and toilet are relatively new (by Kohler) and the floor is simple white tiles... well that's about it!

What I don't like: the burgundy border. The grey tile isn't bad as far as 1950's bathroom tile goes but the border is unfortunate.

I don't believe we can remove the tile; we demo'd a tiled half bath off the kitchen and the tile was cemented to the wall, with wire mesh. We had to rent a demo hammer to chisel that off and nearly went deaf.

I have a few ideas but would love input, some fresh perspective or pros and cons of my thoughts.

Current ideas:
- glue beadboard over tile
- paint tile (not sure if this will be effective in the shower)
- use a grout removal tool to re-grout floor

Ideas? Thanks in advance!

Comments (20)

  • 14 years ago
    Here's another photo for a view of the shower/bath. The ceiling is arched and the burgundy border runs the outside, above the shower curtain.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    You can have the burgundy tile professionally recolored. Call for pricing. I don't think it's very expensive, but there will no doubt be a minimum charge. Once that is done, paint will be your best took for an easy makeover. You'll be able to either remove the wallpaper or paint over it if you don't like it. I would put a shutter on the window when funds become available.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks for the ideas Carolyn! I'm a DIY type and would feel pain hiring a painter, unless tile painting is really tricky. Love the shutter blind suggestion for the window. I mentioned re-grouting the floor as a DIY project because I am going to have to kneel next to the tub to give my toddler nightly baths. Things can never be clean or fresh enough! Challenging without a complete make-over budget.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Amy Butler Bucharest Shower Curtain · More Info

    Paint the wall above the burgundy tile white. Install white plantation shutters on the window. Hang a shower curtain similar to this. Now you have grey, white and an accent of burgundy. Oh, paint that little door to match the tile.
  • 14 years ago
    Nice ideas by judyg. Since the burgundy is just a little bit can you work with it? But remove those cup holders or whatever they are above the sink.
  • 14 years ago
    I've heard your can clean tile, then TSP (tri sodium phosphate) it, rinse very well, let dry, then Kilz (seal) it, and paint with high gloss enamel. Afterward you can seal again with high gloss poly. Personally, I'd try to work with the burgundy if you don't want to do that much work. It isn't too bad and you can still find bath linens that pick up the color. I agree with the plantation shutter idea.
  • 14 years ago
    Why not embrace the tile and find a bold wallpaper to show it off? Like this:
    Red Office Bathroom · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    I would call a "Bathtub Refinishing" company in your area and get a bid, it will be surprisingly affordable . They'll come and spray a couple of coats of epoxy on what ever tiles you wish. These companies do a great job, and the paint is a better epoxy than than the epoxy you can buy in a store. Unfortunately this is not a DIY project if you want it to last many years. Please do not paint the tile yourself, you'll actually cause more problems for yourself later.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Great advice from crazylife!
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks for all the good perspectives. Very true, I really should NOT do a DIY tile paint project. Will call on tile refinishing quotes or leave it alone.

    Love the shower curtain and the idea of an interesting and coordinating wallpaper (all though floral wallpaper would be a tough sell to my husband).

    I did try some really heavy duty tile/grout cleaning efforts and it's just old, stained and brittle tile. It's 55 years old.

    Definitely going to do something about those cruddy burgundy cup/toothbrush holders. Maybe tear out, replace two tiles and anchor a small white wooden shelf over them.

    My recently revised plan is shutter blinds/plantation blind for the window; it's a great asset to dress up. Remove current wallpaper and likely paint walls gray. Also going to borrow a grout removal tool and re-grout in a light gray. Tedious work but powered by my overwhelming toddler mom clean standards.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Bravo for you! Let us know how it goes.
  • 14 years ago
    I had a somewhat similar problem. I removed the wallpaper, painted the walls "White Dove" by Benjamin moore, added new fixtures, faucets, and a new heated floor. I had the pink tub reglazed white and I am pleased with the result!
  • 14 years ago
    If your tile is 55 years old it probably contains lead. Please have the tile tested before you start demo!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    I'm with bobby p's idea of either cleaning it and if planning regrout check for lead , and No Offence , take care of Hygiene but over Hygiene ? not very good , even doctors don't recommend .
  • 14 years ago
    Clean enough to be healthy, dirty enough to be happy!
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Apiet: Please be advised the profession re-glazing people can spray your floor tile, all or none of your wall tile and the burgundy ceramic soap dish and tooth brush holder. If your tub finish is a bit worn, I'd have them do that too. You do NOT have to clean or scrub the floor. They have special prep treatments all their own. This will be like a factory applied epoxy that will last carefree for many years. All you have to do is choose the color. I know they have at least white and almond.

    Love the plantation shutter idea.
    Best Wishes.
  • 14 years ago
    I think a tan color on the wall ouuld go nicely with the color of the tiles . On the floors add a tan plush bath rug. Could you replace the medicine cabinet with a large oval mirror or another rectangular one. Take down the round towel racks and hang up a straight chrome steel towel bar or two chrome towel hooks on each side. The window would look nice with trim put up around it and painted white. Add a nice shower curtain in a nice brown and tan color or pattern.
  • 14 years ago
    Could you work with the burgundy tiles? Our br had the same trim but was all white. I removed every third tile and replaced it with color(s) I wanted for the scheme. Wasn't that difficult.
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Remove the wallpaper and paint the top part of the wall the same color (in high glass) as the burgundy tile border?