Software
Houzz Logo Print
capricek

Paint color is off

14 years ago
I purchased a color called brilliant beige from Lowes and when I finished painting a room, it looks almost peachy!! Is there something I can do to get the tan/beige that I want?

Comments (7)

  • 14 years ago
    All paint is going to look different in different lights. Early morning winter sun is different from mid day summer sun, not to mention cloudy days or artificial light. Other colors in your room can reflect color onto your walls, as well. If you have much red, it can intensify the red in a neutral color.

    If you do decide to repaint, get sample cans and paint a decent section of the wall with the sample and look at it in different lights.

    I have a slate blue that seems to have greenish tints at some times of the day and none in others.
  • 14 years ago
    Pick up as many paint samples that are close in color, no matter what the brand is. If you tape them to the wall and rate them in daylight, at night under artificial light and in different kinds of weather, after a while your eye will pick out the closest match. The paints that are more expensive reflect light differently than less expensive ones. Like good makeup, the ingredients really count. Where you live makes a difference also because climates reflect the light differently. A color that really goes in Florida might look washed out in Detroit and vice versa. Also - what are you painting over? What is under the paint affects it also. It might take several coats of base and multiple coats even in good paint to build up the glow you want.

    The white on my ceiling and living-dining area walls is actually a pinkish-white. You can't tell it has the pink cast unless you match it to a refrigerator white. I lived with the samples on the walls for a whole month before choosing because it had to go with permanent carpeting in tan. To everyone my walls look white.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Do you have photos of how the paint color looks like?
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Yes! If the color does not match the paint chip from Lowes, you should complain and I would hope they would supply you with new paint in the correct color. Humans are only, well you know, human, so they can make errors when they mix paint.

    I had a big job that I did with Sherwin-Williams paint. We had bought a sample can and tried it and when the painter finished a large part of the house with the same color from SW, it didn't match our sample. I remember clearly my client painting on the wall these letters "ASW" using our original sample. The letters definitely stood out against the painted wall. So when the SW rep came out to take a look, he asked, "What does ASW mean?" My client quietly said "It stands for your company's slogan, "Ask Sherwin-Williams"! I'm happy to report that SW made good on not only the paint but the labor too!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Dip your finger in the paint can and smear some on about half of your original color chip. That is the only way to tell whether you actually received the color you thought you had purchased.

    My painter did a large job a few years ago which required multiple color matches...out of something like 8 colors, the local big box store's paint desk managed to get a passable match on only one or two. Now when we buy anything requiring color matching or tinting, we go straight to our local paint store and work with the people who will make sure the color works. A few years ago, we needed to match up some wood to prefinished cabinet doors and it took several rounds of "bit of this, bit of that" on our sample board to get the color but we got there and the color match was right on time when we put it on the trim work.

    I always recommend using a good paint store...what big box store will even answer the phone when you call and ask them to "mix up another gallon of that paint I picked up yesterday"???
  • 14 years ago
    Look for your swatch at the store and then follow the colors to the dark end. Like if the dark color is green the lighter paint will have green undertones. If its too peachy move away from that area and find another beige on a differnent row