Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tommydee_gw

all my new mailorder clems are in

16 years ago

i received my clems this week.i ordered two from koi gardens jackamini and ernast markham,there was only a couple of shoots coming from the crown but the roots were huge and thick busting out of the little plastic pot.i also ordered four from qvc (Roberta farms) they were nice looking about 8 inches high but the roots were nothing like the two from koi.i got one from Donahues greenhouses, killian Donahue very nice top growth but again roots were nothing like koi's.i also went to lowes today and found some nice looking clem in bloom or buded up nicely.yes i am now addicted.my name is tom and i am a clemaholic

Here is a link that might be useful: pics

Comments (13)

• 16 years ago

LOL! The addiction strikes fast, doesn't it? I just learned what clematis were last summer and now I have 9 of them on a 15x4 balcony. :0P

I recently bought Dr. Ruppel, too. Isn't it lovely? I can't wait to see how it does!

• 16 years ago

Check out the 'Crystal Fountain' clematis. It's gorgeous. I ordered one from Garden Crossings online. It came packed wonderfully and looked great. It was about 2 1/2 feet tall and had blooms on it. I was excited.

• 16 years ago

Your addiction is just starting. Wait til Jeanne and Miguel start posting all their beauties. You'll be looking for a real estate agent so you can move to a bigger property to plant more clems. Ha ha.

Joan

• 16 years ago

Sigh. I wish Joan were kidding... but she isn't!

• 16 years ago

My addiction expanded from antique roses to clematis..I went from about a dozen clematis to over 100 different varieties in ONE year. Hmmmmmmmmmm. What's next? peonies?

Robert

• 16 years ago

Robert, in my case it was Iris :-) Tom, welcome to the club.

Carol

• 16 years ago

It's lilies for me. They'd be perfect if not for the red lily beetles. I let them go the first time I saw them, thinking it was some form of ladybug, but they're really destructive for being so small, and their habits are GROSS! I squished 30 of them Sunday. I have NO MERCY anymore. My big three are roses, clematis and lilies, but I think clemmies are really my favorite.

• 16 years ago

I feel myself falling. Falling into a clematis obsession! I got ten new ones this year.
    Carol, iris is next for me.

Carla

• 16 years ago

Where do you grow all of them??? I too love every clematis that I see, but I only have three trellises - so I only have three clematis. I'm looking for a combo to grow with The President in my front door garden so that will bring my grand total up to four. I'm willing to jump into this addiction but I need help figuring out where to grow them.

• 16 years ago

Shmeal..you can plant a white clematis to go with "The President"..just make sure it's a pruning group 2 unless you are one of those that hard prune your 2's like 3's..I have my Clematis "The President" planted with "Mrs. Cholmondeley"...don't forget you can plant them in large shrubs as well to crawl and twine up through. Walk around your gardens and think..I am sure you'll find all kinda places to incorporate clematis..
    Speaking of other Obsessions yall..I also have a thing for Crinums,Roses and Daylilys...

• 16 years ago

I got mine yesterday from Koi Gardens and you are right. Huge roots. I had to cut them out of the pots, lol. I'm sure they will do better than the ones with more top growth and less roots.

• 16 years ago

I apologize for the hijack, but Jeanne, what daylilys are you growing? I had some planted in the beds with the roses and they tried to take over the beds. I had to dig them up. I do love them but the ones I had were much too vigorous. Do the ones you grow have better manners and rebloom well?

Carol

• 16 years ago

Carol..they are all pretty much vigorous..LOL..you must divide them every 3-5 years so they will bloom better as well..I just divide..move around to other places in my gardens or use for exchange over at Dave's or trade or just give away!!...Jeanne

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!