Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tommydee_gw

look whats eating my vines

tommydee
15 years ago

this is an arbor i made from concrete reinforcing wire,i planted heavenly blue morning glory's on it,was wondering what was eating all the leaves

{{gwi:611346}}

Comments (9)

• tommydee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

another veiw

{{gwi:611347}}

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Wow, is that a woodchuck or ground hog? Looks like it is time to get the rifle out and get rid of that vermin. Eihter that or electrify the fencing. LOL Looks like he could eat a ton of plants in no time!

• tommydee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i think its a groundhog,ihave seen him around for about a year didn't think he would eat my mgs.maybe he is getting high on them.he started at the bottom and now he is climbing.the arbor is over 8 feet high and in the pic he is close to the top.i tried some critter ridder from home depot its mostly pepper and and egg solids

{{gwi:611348}}

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Isn't a wood chuck and a ground hog the same animal?

I'm sorry he is eating your Clemmies but he is cute.

• tracey_nj6
    15 years ago

Fantastic pics; I'd never be able to get a pic of one; as soon as they see me, they're long gone!
    I believe woodchuck & groundhog are one in the same.
    I had one climb my 6' obelisk and devour my Mina lobata two years ago. I never figured them as graceful climbers for sure, but it just proves that looks can be deceiving.

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Omgoodness! He is a chubby bugger isn't he?! Well, if you get sick of him chomping on your mg's then stick him in a flatrate box and mail him on over to me. I wouldn't mind some help fighting my mg problem. They took over one of my beds. We tore everything out of there this spring and just finished replanting. Guess what.. the morning glories are still there! Who ever said mg's were annuals has never met this particular dratted vine!

• sdpa
    15 years ago

Ohmigosh! I posted a question recently b/c somethign was eating my mg, too. We have a woodchuck in our backyard but have never seen it up near the house where the mg are. However, seeing your picture I would bet the farm that I have the same problem.
    Cute, aren't they, if they weren't sucha pain in the bum!

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

Wow good pictures! We have at least one that lives somewhere on the road we live on as he/she scurries off the road when we drive down it. I've nicknamed it Chubby because they tend to be that way. Maybe yours has developed a drug dependency on your MGs!!! They are cute but they can decimate plants for sure. Never would have thought they would climb.

• faerycat
    15 years ago

Yep, they can climb. I never knew that either until a couple years ago, when I saw one climb a neighbor's tree! I thought my eye's were playing tricks on me. I asked a friend who's brother hunts a lot and she said they most definitely can climb trees, fences, etc. Who knew?