Software
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

clematis 'Carnaby'

20 years ago

I just saw a beautiful clematis flowering called Carnaby.

Will this clematis do fine with morning through 4pm sun and late afternoon and early evening shade?

Once it grows 9 feet or more tall the top growth only would get full day and early evening sun.

One site mentioned that it needs afternoon sun and can handle morning shade if the site is well draining.

Since our summers are so sunny, and this summer we experienced 20 more triple digit days of high temperatures than the few we used to get, it seems likley to me that this clematis would welcome that late afternoon early evening shade on the lower 8 feet or so of its growth.

Is the above listed logic correct? Or is there a better June through September blooming Clematis, with just as beautiful of flowers, for that location? What ever is suggested needs to be able to tolerate USDA Zone 6b/7b; since the planting location experiences both those zone's low and high temp extremities.

Comments (9)

  • 20 years ago

    I like my carnaby a lot, but they fade badly in the sun. I have mine under a large spruce tree where it gets at most two hours of late afternoon sun. I have it in a container because it couldn't compete with the tree roots in the ground. As much as I like carnaby where it is, I do not think I would want it where it got direct sun anytime between mid-morning and mid-afternoon because it would fade too fast. I posted a picture in another thread to answer a question. You can see it here: Nelly Moser?. Just click the link and scroll down the page. I think you can make out the circumstances in the picture.

  • 20 years ago

    What a beautiful display of blooms. Yes, it is clear why you keep them in a pot.

    It is simply amazing to see such bloom coverage when you keep them in so much shade. Every thing I have read indicates that most clematis cultivars will only bloom sparcely in such shade. Is that photo taken during the first bloom period of the year?

  • 20 years ago

    Katrina,
    I have a feeling that all these sun/shade recommendations were made for the northern zones. My potted clems felt really bad getting just 4 hours of direct morning sun when we have 100+ F. I moved them in the dappled shade. They were much happier there. I returned them to the morning sun spot when the temperature came down to 80's.

  • 20 years ago

    I agree with Alina..the further south you go..the less hot evening sun clematis can take...6 hours of morning sun is plenty..I have some in HUGE Pots on my pergola and they are growing like a weed with only the filtered light through the top...and of course I have those on a drip system and they love it!!!..Jeanne

  • 20 years ago

    That was a first bloom. This year I decided that when I cut it back after first bloom I would put it in a half barrel and change the trellis-it was just a tripod and I wanted to spread it out. Here it is on July 2:

    {{gwi:617032}}

    and here it is today-a month later:

    {{gwi:617034}}

    Looks like another 2 weeks it will be in full bloom again.

  • 20 years ago

    It would be two months, Bob, since July 2nd :-)
    Bob, how large is your barrel? Do you trim her that hard every year? She is a beauty even without flowers!

  • 20 years ago

    Fantastic for 2 months growth..Hey Bob..what zone are you in?...Jeanne

  • 20 years ago

    I never was very good at counting. It's in half of a 55 gallon oak wine barrell. I don't know what kind of wine was aged in it, but it hasn't retarded the growth of the clematis. I'm in zone 9 with a long, cool growing season. I think we have had 4 hot days this summer and they were all in a row. Got up to near 100 degrees and may have gone slightly over for a couple of days. Most days are low to mid 80's. It's a dry summer area, no rain usually from April to October. Just 30 miles north of the golden gate bridge in Petaluma.

  • 20 years ago

    Here's an update. Not in full bloom yet but it's getting there.

    {{gwi:617036}}

0
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Remodeling Company in New Albany, Ohio