Software
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Guess This Plant / Garden Quiz Game 2

19 years ago

Carry-over

Here is a link that might be useful: Guess This Plant / Garden Quiz Game

Comments (149)

  • 19 years ago

    Sorry I didn't check in sooner. I ended up spending the night at the hospital. I may be going back in tonight if I can't keep my pain under control.

    So far no one has the answer. So what I will do is email marcia the answer and she will hopefully for me (please?) let you guys know when you get it right. This way you don't have to wait for me to get out of the hospital if I spend a few days there.

    I will be nice and give you a hint since you aren't even close. It is a flowering tree.

    Talk to everyone soon.

    Syreeta

  • 19 years ago

    Cherry?

    Gosh I hope you're feeling better soon Syreeta!

  • 19 years ago

    Is it the basswood?

    I also hope you will be feeling better soon, Syreeta.

    Brenda

  • 19 years ago

    You guys still don't have it. I didn't think this one would be so hard. Sorry, I am suppose to be letting Marcia do the quiz for me. :D

    I may be around but I could be admitted at any time. I'm hanging on by my teeth right now staying at home. I've already spent one night in the hospital and if I can't keep the pain under control with what I have at home I have to go to emerge. They may keep me at any time. Today I am going for tests so hopefully they show something. Plus I have to go to emerge to get my IV flushed, they are keeping it in in case I get admitted. All I know is it hurts and I'd like it out. Having the IV in reminds me of how sick I am. Thanks for the well wishes and I'll keep everyone updated. I'll go pull up the old thread from before when I was sick.

    Syreeta (who really didn't mean to highjack this thread.)

  • 19 years ago

    Boxwood?

  • 19 years ago

    Syreeta or Marcia,

    What about the Flowering Dogwood?

    Brenda

  • 19 years ago

    Hope you feel better soon Syreeta.

    I really know nothing about pianos or playing pianos so I've done some very interesting reading this morning! It does seen like Spruce (because it's lightweight and strong) is a favourite choice...... but I don't think it flowers! LOL

    OK.... sorry for digressing there.... back to searching! LOL

    Ang

  • 19 years ago

    Malus?

  • 19 years ago

    Brenda, Syreeta told me the answer was dogwood, so you got it! :) How about an easy quiz that i can get? LOL

    Syreeta - thinking about you!

  • 19 years ago

    Easy...? You guys see if you can figure out this plant...

    I am evergreen and I can be found inside the airport in Orlando, Florida. I also would hate to live outside in the Far North where you all live because I do not like freezing temperatures.

    Brenda

  • 19 years ago

    Sabal palmetto
    Common Names: sabal palm, cabbage palm, cabbage palmetto
    Family: Palmae/Arecaceae (palm family)

    Here is a link that might be useful: Sabal palmetto

  • 19 years ago

    Sharon, yep. the palm tree.

    Just couldn't help but think of the first time that we landed in Orlando and saw palm trees in the airport. I never expected to see a palm tree so soon. I even think I took a picture of it with my old camera because it was so unexpected. The week before we got there they had temperatures at around or just under 32F for a few nights and all the palm trees we saw in Orlando had lower branches that were all brown from the frost.

    Brenda

  • 19 years ago

    Oh so Brenda, you've been there and back already from your trip? Would love to see some photos of your trip.

    Ok Marcia, if you don't get this one? I don't know!

    These 2 rose colours do not exist? There are no true ______ or ______ roses, as the pigment structures in the rose do not permit these colors to be bred.

    Sharon

  • 19 years ago

    Blue and black?

  • 19 years ago

    I know blue for sure, probably not black, and no greens that i know of! LOL

  • 19 years ago

    Heeeeeeehaaaaaaaaa, Marcia got it!

    Your turn next ;)

    Sharon

  • 19 years ago

    Ohhhh-ohhhhh, we're all in trouble now. Marcia has a whole library to do research from. Everyone get ready and put your thinking caps on. BTW, Marcia, it was teal green, wasn't it? (Your housecoat) So you can't ask that one. LOL

    Shauna

  • 19 years ago

    Sharon, no, we have not been to Florida yet this winter. Next week we go. My daughter and her husband are coming to live at our place and take care of all the animals.

    We went to Florida 6 years ago and again 4 years ago. Both times the kids were along and we did all the rides at Disney. This time my girlfriend and I are doing the underground tours and the greenhouse tours etc, while our husbands go golfing and fishing at Disney. Then after a week there my DH and I are going down to Miami and spending 3 days there. We would like to take a day and drive to Key West and I would like to go through...

    www.keywestsecretgarden.com

    Nancy has a wonderful hidden garden in the center of Key West. Like a little mini oasis in the center of town.

    Sorry, about this in the middle of the quizzes.

    Back to your color quiz.

    Brenda

  • 19 years ago

    Umm not that I want Marcia's turn, but what was the answer? Is it not blue and black? There are green roses.

  • 19 years ago

    Yes Gil, the answer I was looking for was blue and black. Yes there is a green rose called Rosa chinensis viridiflora / Rosa Monstrosa.

    Oh, I see Brenda, well make sure you take photos for us, I've been to Daytona years ago at a biker rally, but I don't think ya'll want to see phtotos of those. ;)
    Have fun!

    Sharon

  • 19 years ago

    OK just checking ;0) Go ahead Marcia!

    (Brenda, have fun on your holiday!)

  • 19 years ago

    I think Gil got it before i did....

  • 19 years ago

    No that's ok Marcia, I can't think of anything, you go ahead.

  • 19 years ago

    Marcia, get up on the plate and play the game, it's your turn.

  • 19 years ago

    What if i don't want to, eh??? :>

    Okay, i have no idea where you guys find these questions, but this is all i could come up with that's relatively interesting.

    The juice of what plant was once used to clean gunshot wounds?

  • 19 years ago

    Marcia, I know, I know...but I won't tell...cause we are going on holidays right away.

    My mom planted 7000 of these plant seeds yesterday (she does the farmer's market). I like this plant in my soups, hamburgers and with perogies. I still have 2 bags of them downstairs to use yet this winter.

    Am I close??

    Brenda

  • 19 years ago

    Are we talking onions or agave(which tequila is made from)? Probably onions go better with Brenda's menu! ;^)

  • 19 years ago

    You're right, Brenda, which means it's Laurie's turn now! LOL

    Have a great vacation, Brenda - take lots of nice flower pics for us to drool over!

  • 19 years ago

    Oh, I figured I'd get stung with this one!lol This is like being back in school having to do research >:O I was able to find something interesting, and I do hope it hasn't been done before.

    *This plant is native to Europe, North Africa, Asia and North America.
    *It was used as a dye-stuff in the medieval period.
    *Extracts of this plant have been used to treat arthritis.
    *Flogging one's body with this plant is done as a folk remedy for rheumatism.
    *There's a pub in England that holds a World Championship to see who can eat the most of this plant.
    *When cooking this plant you may want to throw away the first water, but you don't have to.
    *This plant has been used in shampoos to control dandruff and to make hair more glossy.

    Who am I? Genus and common name please.

  • 19 years ago

    I had no idea that this rotten plant was this useful. It is definitely a plant that I hate to accidentally find in my garden.

    Stinging nettle Urtica dioica

    Shauna

  • 19 years ago

    You got it Shauna! Can you imaging throwing those in with your salad?!!

    I never had a problem with it in my garden until I got one truckload of manure in from my Dad's farm. All I can say is, "OUCH!"

  • 19 years ago

    Apologies to all. I had a couple of busy days here and didn't get a chance to get back. This is getting harder and harder to come up with questions but I sure am learning a lot from everyone. We'll have to keep this going.


    Every year, when I dig my gardens, I find quite a few of the caterpillar form of these. What are they? - complete common and scientific name, please.

    {{gwi:690551}}

    Shauna

  • 19 years ago

    LOL, you must go to the same insect website that I go to. LOL, I couldn't resist! ;)

    Common Name: Bronzed Cutworm Moth
    Latin Name: Nephelodes minians (Guenee, 1982)

    Wingspan: ~45 mm

    Range: Alberta

    Habitat: Grasslands

    Time of year seen: August to early September

    Caterpillar's Diet: Corn and grass

    I get this guy and other strange creatures of the night, they cover my pumphouse when I have the spot lights on.

    Is it my turn? LOL

    Sharon

    Here is a link that might be useful: Insects of Alberta

  • 19 years ago

    Sigh. . . . I was looking and looking for a picture source outside of the 'net so that you wouldn't get it so fast. but i couldn't find one. I also didn't post the photo credit (Photo courtesy Whitney Cranshaw, Colorado State University) just so it couldn't be used to find the photo. All to no avail. . . . sigh LOL, I want some whine with my cheese. : )

    Yes, Sharon, this is a garden "nasty" and I really don't mind when my cat goes after these moths. Much, much better than bringing me gifts of darners and meadowhawks. I really never knew what a cutworm turned into until we started this thread and I researched it.

    Obviously, Sharon, you're up. LOL

    Shauna

  • 19 years ago

    The rhizome are edible raw. Apparently they're suppose to taste somewhat like cucumber.

    {{gwi:690552}}
    Guess this plant, botanical and common name please?

    Sharon

  • 19 years ago

    What, no guesses, did I stump you? ;)

    Clue: seeds are available at Gardens North.

  • 19 years ago

    Is it Medeola virginiana or Indian Cucumber Root?

    Syreeta

  • 19 years ago

    Yes, yes, yes, you got it Syreeta. Did you have to look it up at Gardens North?

    Photo credit in link below....

    Here is a link that might be useful: Gardens North

  • 19 years ago

    I did have to look it up at Gardens North. At first I thought it was a Trillium but I couldn't find anywhere that said it tasted like cucumber. The only plant I could find that said it tasted like cucumber was Medeola virginiana. All the pictures that I looked at had different leaves than what you showed. So I just went to Gardens North and looked up Trilliums and Medeola virginiana and I found the photo you showed. So I was on the right track before you posted the clue.

    Anyways, here is my question;

    Who developed Western Sandcherry, Nanking Cherry (Prunus tomentosa), and 'Sutherland' Golden Elder? Plus what year were they born in and what year did they die?

    Syreeta

  • 19 years ago

    I guess it is time for a clue since no one has guessed. So here it is;

    It is a man and he was born near Renfrew Ontario. He received his horticultural training at the University of Guelph and the University of Maryland. He then went on to work with the Canadian Department of Agriculture at Morden MB before coming to Saskatoon to become the Superintendent of the Sutherland Tree Nursery.

    Hope one of those helps!

    Syreeta

  • 19 years ago

    Western Sandcherry - ?
    Nanking Cherry (Prunus tomentosa)- ?
    'Sutherland' Golden Elder William Leslie Kerr (1902-1983)

    You got me on the other ones, I've been searching for hours! LOL

    Sharon

  • 19 years ago

    Sharon, I'll give it to you. Les developed all three plants. Where did you eventually find the information? I got the question out of this months issue of Gardens West. They talk about the "Prairie Horticulture Pioneers". This includes Cecil F. Patterson (1892-1961), Les Kerr (1902-1983), Percy Wright (1898-1989) and Bert Porter (1901-2000). A very interesting read.

    So, you're now up!

    Syreeta

  • 19 years ago

    I got it, LOL, here I was looking for 3 people!

    I did some googling and came upon this website. Yes, very interesting read.

    I'll be back to give the next quiz.

    Sharon

    Here is a link that might be useful: Saskatchewan Horticultural Pioneers

  • 19 years ago

    A fertilised ovule develops into a __________?

  • 19 years ago

    a plant embryo or a seed.

    Syreeta

  • 19 years ago

    You got it girlfriend!

  • 19 years ago

    I have to think of something AGAIN!

    Syreeta, off to go through her books

  • 19 years ago

    Okay, I'm finally home for a little bit from the hospital. (I've been having to got there for IV meds for my kidney infection. So far today I've spent 5 hours and I have to go back here in an hour for who knows how long.)

    Anyways, here is my question. What is this plant? Common and botanical please. And yes it will grow here.

    {{gwi:690553}}

    Syreeta

  • 19 years ago

    That is pretty cool, is it Woodsia glabella fern?

  • 19 years ago

    Sorry Sharon, try again.

    Syreeta

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus