Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairierose_gw

When It's Springtime in Alberta

17 years ago

Who wrote that song anyhow? My flowerbeds are covered in three foot drifts of white again. How are the rest of us in the storm area doing? The s***fall warning has ended, but it's still coming down - I definitely won't be planting my glads out this weekend. Do you think my crocuses are happy in their wet white blanket?

Connie

Comments (10)

• 17 years ago

Oooh poor you Connie! The crocuses will be fine, they are built for it. We're supposed to get buckets of rain on Sunday from that storm. Thank goodness it will be liquid and not solid :0/

• 17 years ago

The ground was white when I left for work this morning but has all melted during the day, but it is wet,WET,WET. I think all my plants better sprout web feet so they can get out of this and dry out. Forcast is for it to stay showery all weekend. Will it ever end?????

Cheers Al

• 17 years ago

I don't think I've ever heard of that song, who sings it?

Luckly we did not get the s****, just lots of fresh beautiful rain. Everything is just perky and greening up fast. Just an hour north in Tofield, they sure got dumped on with heavy wet s****, unbelievable!

(PS> using the computer at work, my computer at home has a virus we think!!!)

Sharon

• 17 years ago

It's an Ian Tyson song - here's the chorus

Just like spring time in Alberta
    Warm sunny days endless skies of blue
    Then without a warning
    Another winter storm comes raging through
    And the mercury's fallin'
    I'm left all alone
    Just like spring time in Alberta
    Chills me to the bone

Anyone dealing with white rain has my sympathies. Thankfully that's one storm that passed us by - we got rain today (not white, not buckets and rather refreshing) but tomorrow and onward is supposed to be sunny & fairly nice.

• 17 years ago

My sympathies to all of you with the "white blanket". I know only too well that it could be us. We're lucky at the moment - temperatures in the high teens the past couple of days and the promise of a couple of days rain, and we really need that.

Btw, the first crocuses bloomed today. :)

• 17 years ago

Hmmm...I was thinking it was Johny Horton's "When it's Spring Time in Alaska....it's 40 below" only replaced with Alberta. (Never heard the Ian Tyson one.)

We've got a good 8-10 inches of the "white rain" accumulated on the ground in the last two days...it's extremely wet s***, and my one pine is about three feet shorter than usual with the weight of it all. My tulips are up about 2 inches underneath it. I hope they have good gills. :oP

I suppose it could always be worse, at least we have power, and by next week it's supposed to be back up into the double digits. OH and the Costco greenhouse in Red Deer open up on Monday!!

All this nasty weather sure hasn't dampened my spirits any...Yesterday I waded out through the half foot of snow and got a large stack of seed trays and spent three hours last night planting several hundred seeds...Don't know what I'll do with 'em all if they all come up...but it sure did cure my spring-blizzard-blues. :-)

Verena
    Sticking my tongue out at old man winter..."Your days are numbered!!"
    (My one friend's dad used to open the door and spray aerosol cans outside whenever a late storm like this used to hit...)

• 17 years ago

OMG Verena, my kids are wondering why I'm laughing at the computer! I wonder if I can find aerosol cans to spray? LOL

• 17 years ago

So you got it too, Verena. Should be gone by midweek, if we hit the temps they're calling for. That's the song I was thinking of, Pudge! There's crocuses blooming under this:

{{gwi:691737}}

Connie

• 17 years ago

We woke up to some nasty "white rain" one day this week too, but it didn't last too long though. By mid-afternoon it was mostly gone again.

We are going back up to double digits apparently again tomorrow -- 11* sure works for me! Apparently going up to 15* for Tuesday. Yay!

• 17 years ago

What the heck is Mother Nature up to this year?

Sponsored