Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiegal_edm

What shrub/bush should I plant?

prairiegal_edm
13 years ago

Hi all! I'm looking for some planting advice, I wish I could post a picture. I live in an older home in Edmonton, with a West facing front yard. There is nothing on the NE side of my house next to my front door, and I want to plant something, for some interest. It's a shady and dry area. I want to plant a shrub or bush that will have some height, 4-5 ft, and some width. It has to be easy to grow and pretty all year long. Do you have any suggestions for me? Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• beegood_gw
    13 years ago

You know to see what things look like and do well in your area drive around the neighbourhood and see what appeals to you. Ninebarks have lovely golden leaves and will grow in partial shade.

• northspruce
    13 years ago

I have grown bridal wreath spirea and mockorange in similar situations. My only complaint with mockorange in part shade is it tends to put out a lot of weak growth that gets attacked by aphids, which it doesn't do in more sun. It still blooms nicely though.

• hykue Zone 7 Vanc. Island
    13 years ago

Maybe someone can help me out here . . . can dogwood take dry conditions at all? If so, if it were my house, I imagine I would plant a dogwood. There are many kinds. They look nice all the time, especially in winter when the red- or yellow-stemmed ones add some color in the whiteness. I know they can take shade, and maybe if they were mulched they could take dry as well?

You can post photos (if you have them) by hosting them on Picasaweb or Photobucket and copying the text to embed the image (in Picasa it's called "embed imgage", I believe). Just in case you would like to.

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

No dogwood doesn't like dry conditions, but it would like the rest of the conditions. No shrub that grows 5 feet should be planted closer than 3 feet of the house anyway. Rerouting the water from a downspout with a plastic sleeve would keep any shrub well watered

• prairiegal_edm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info! Here's my attempt on trying to load a photo. The soil in that corner is very dry, grows weeds, and seems to be some animals' toilet. I want to cover it with woodchips and then plant something beautiful. I'm not a very green thumb, so I want something that takes care of itself.

From Yard

Here is a link that might be useful: Yard

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

I'm thinking some Lilac...or a Amur Cherry if you want a tree, the bark
    is a nice bronze to look at in winter.

Konrad

• hykue Zone 7 Vanc. Island
    13 years ago

Lilac is a great suggestion. They're really simple to look after, and mine don't seem to mind the dry. Their flowers are pretty and smell nice, and they're fairly attractive the rest of the time too. But I still would be tempted to put in a dogwood and water it. I'm sure the other suggestions are good, too, but I haven't any idea what those things look like.

• bigfred12
    13 years ago

I'd go for a Coppertina ninebark, and maybe a Snowmound spirea as well. Dwarf Korean lilacs have a wonderful smell, but you need to do some work with lilacs to make them really nice.
    Go for a variety of heights, not just one size type of a look.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor