Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctowntransplant

Morden Sunrise is BEAUTIFUL

ctowntransplant
17 years ago

I purchased morden sunrise & centennial this year as bare roots.

Sunrise (2 plants with Clary (meadow sage) as a background) is blooming now and it is covered with blooms and it is just gorgeous. Centennial is budded but hasn't bloomed yet. I just wanted to share as I am so excited and my husband is a bit underwhelmed with my enthusiam.

Comments (11)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

I share your enthusiasm! However, my poor Miss Sunrise is not doing well this year. She just gave me one feeble bloom the other day. Poor dear. She may have to be replaced. :(

• prairierose
    17 years ago

Morden sunrise is such a pretty rose. I love the color blend. Hopefully my new one does well this summer and has a good winter. I've had Morden centennial for quite a while and it is a good rose for me too.
    Connie

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Yes, they both are gorgeous roses! I can certainly understand your excitement. My DH is the same too, just can't get quite as excited as I do over a flower.........but he's getting better! ;^)

Laurie

• ctowntransplant
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am so hoping that they overwinter ok.

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

I have both as well. They both made the winter for me wonderfully with no other protection than snow. Keep them well watered this summer and I'm sure they will be fine.
    My hubby acts the same way.LOL. He often comments that he wishes that he was a rose, so I would get that excited about him. I tell him ... Dream on.
    Shelley

• northspruce
    17 years ago

If I tell my DH to smell a rose or my mock orange, he smells it and makes a face and says it smells like his grandma. LOL I guess he's kinda right. His grandma learned about perfume in about 1925.

17 years ago

The only thing i got my dh to smell was the allium "Honey Garlic". :>

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Did it smell like chicken wings? My DH would like that!

17 years ago

LOL Pretty much! My dh is the garlic king around here (she said with her eyes watering). :>

• pamelak
    14 years ago

I just went to a Garden Tour in Fort Collins, Colorado where I saw two Mordens Sunrise roses flanking a doorway. They were mostly yellow with pink-tinged edges. I am 5'8" tall and they were a little taller than me. They were about the same in width too. I am not a yellow person but these were stunning! Other garden sites post that this rose is orange and pink and I'm attributing this color difference to our clay soils. It isn't supposed to get this tall either but the nursery here told me they will. I had to purchase one and it is flanking my wrought iron fence! Ohhh-can't wait till next summer!

• glen3a
    14 years ago

Perhaps the color difference may also be attributed to the weather around the time the blossom forms and opens. The same way the blossoms on Morden Blush are usually white tinted with pink in cooler weather but can be just white in hot weather.

The height might make sense. In our zone, my Morden Sunrise starts the year anywhere from ground level to a foot high (depending on how much died back over the winter). By fall it's 2 to 3 feet high. In a slightly milder zone perhaps it doesn't get killed back to the ground as much so already starts the season at a decent height.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012