My builder uses Houzz Pro to plan the timeline and give detailed estimates and daily updates with photos of progress, and provide invoices at pre-agreed key points in the build. This made the whole experience much more efficient and stress-free.
Yes, this moth was big, about 4 1/2 inches from wing tip to wing tip and had a large heavy body. The coloring is even nicer than pictured, what doesn't show up very well is the mauve tone along the edges of the wings.
These moths have undeveloped mouth parts and do not eat and live for only a short period of time and this brief period is dedicated to reproduction. Sightings are few due to their low numbers and short adult phase. I wish I had taken more photos, though he was uncooperative and would flop around like a fish out of water.
I guess the above moth had been successful with reproduction, as a friend had spied this large cocoon of the polyphemus moth attached to a plum tree branch.
I have grown caterpillars into moths before, but my attempt with a sphynx moth this summer dropped dead the first day. Not sure why. It was in the final instar and I found it on the sidewalk.
Anyway, once it's a cocoon all you need to do is put it in an enclosure and wait for the adult to emerge.
I will need to intervene, as otherwise this cocoon will fall to the ground only to get stepped upon or destroyed in some manner. Maybe, I'll later place it in some leaf litter in the surrounding forest and possibly put a small screened enclose over it for protection and allowowing me to observe the moth emerge next spring.
FrozeBudd_z3/4Original Author
Konrad___far_north
Related Professionals
New Orleans Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Wilmington Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Vineland Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Florence Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Middletown Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Evansville Landscape Contractors · Vincennes Landscape Contractors · Baltimore Landscape Contractors · Killeen Landscape Contractors · Barnstable Landscape Contractors · Middletown Landscape Contractors · Merced Landscape Contractors · Cincinnati Basement Remodeling · Missoula Basement Remodeling · Fairbanks Basement Remodelingnutsaboutflowers
don555
northspruce
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
FrozeBudd_z3/4Original Author
beegood_gw
FrozeBudd_z3/4Original Author
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
northspruce
FrozeBudd_z3/4Original Author
Konrad___far_north