Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sierra_z2b

Finished plantin' ?

sierra_z2b
17 years ago

Is everyone finished planting everything now?

Just finished today.....Yay! I'd do a happy dance but I am tooooooooo tired right now. Wish I could say all the weeding is done....but I can't. LOL!

I have a pepper comming along in the greenhouse. Also tomatoes have set already....this looks promising.

Sierra

Comments (39)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Everything for the veggie garden is in now, but I still have a few annuals left from winter-sowing that I have to find room for. I've still got about 20 perennials in pots to go in the new bed. And I'm still waiting for my daylily/lily order to come from Floral and Hardy. That'll all go in the new bed too.
    And this saturday, I'm hosting a plant exchange, so who knows how much stuff I'll have to plant after that.
    I figure by this time next week, I should have it all done. At least that's the plan.............;^)

• northspruce
    17 years ago

I'm all done, except for some small succulents I started for the rock garden that never materialized... but they are doing fine in their pots on the deck. Still not sure what to do with them but maybe I will rig up some kind of basin or trough.

Oh yeah and the Yuccas from Sharon that I WSed, I have no idea where to put them because I didn't realize how big they get.

• maggiemae
    17 years ago

I, too, am almost done. Just a few annuals to put into containers. The garden is up really well, could use a bit more rain. Hubby dusted Potatoes yesterday, darn bugs are coming fast and furious. My 2500 glads are doing well, and many of the perennials are about 2-3 weeks early this year. Wierd! I've never experienced this before. A real change in the climate, don't you agree? Marg

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

No. How come you guys are all so fast?? :>

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

I still have about a dozen perennial wintersowings to find homes for, as well as my Floral & Hardy DL order (it better be in the mail tomorrow since they sent me an email noticed on the 5th). Also awaiting my Cacti order from Gardens North. I'm also planning a day trip to Holes in Edmonton when DH gets back home this weekend, hopefully he's up to it. And then my dear friends, I'm done planting that is until Fall ;)

Sharon

• glen3a
    17 years ago

No offence, but I'm actually glad I'm not the only one still feverishly trying to get stuff planted.

I'm making progress. For me there's a few packs of impatiens, pansies, etc. A couple of perennials where I have to create the planting spot first and then also my grape vine and cedar.

But, most of the "time sensitive" stuff is planted, that is, tomatoes, assorted vegetable seeds, etc.

Hopefully I can finish, or almost finish, this weekend. It really slows me down when I have to weed a bed first, or amend the soil before planting a vine but I know it's worth doing that.

Glen

• luv2gro
    17 years ago

Finished plantin' ?

Are you kiddin' ????? Hardly started . . . or so it seems.

We took a five day trip to Vancouver last week that really set me behind. I got most of the veggie seeds and the tomatoes in, as well as a few annuals and purchased perennials, before I left. I've had one nice day since I've been back and it turned out to be a busy day with life. Now . . . it's pouring and it's going to be too wet to plant for a couple of days after this rain stops. I'm not starting to panic . . . yet. But, I will be soon if I don't get at 'er real quick.

Shauna

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

I have lots to plant yet. 6 roses, 4 flower trays, and about 8 shrubs. It is raining now, so tomorrow I'll be planting in the mud....again. I took a few days of planting off. My back was acting up again. Hopefully I will be done soon. Then I can enjoy my gardens.
    Shelley

• alalbertaz2b
    17 years ago

I'm mostly done. I have a few alyussum still to plant but I delayed it because it was supposed to rain. We got about 3/4 inch so far so should help the dry ground. Will finish this weekend and should only take an hour or so.

Cheers Al

• Pudge 2b
    17 years ago

I have a dozen Penstemon hirsutus, a dozen Penstemon gormanii, and a couple dozen Inula ensifolia that still don't have a home (all from seed this year). My holding bed is full of annual flowers this year. My Bluestem grass order arrived a couple of weeks ago but I planted them into pots and have been looking around the yard, wondering just where I had intended to plant them. One more shrub to plant but the area where I'm planting it currently has a big grass that needs to be dug up and moved first. I'm kinda hoping to get it all done this weekend but we're also working on the birdfeeder arbor project and hopefully will go gather rocks tomorrow. The weather might get in the way of all plans though - cold and raining.

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

I do still have a number of things that still need to find homes and it sure does help that my neighbour and a few friends needed plants ;^)

Ang

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, we took two weeks off, and work as a team. Dh hates planting but will weed as long as I am planting. :-) A lot gets done. I wanted to get it all done before Monday and back to work....so the weeding is done where the new plants were planted....now we just have to finish the rest of the weeding.

Keep us posted as to your progress.
    Have fun,
    Sierra

• durtcom
    17 years ago

Oh my gosh... Where did all these efficient gardeners come from?
    I am so jealous of you guys - I am not even close to being finished!
    In fact, I fear an uprising brewing in my plant holding area...

Susan

• northspruce
    17 years ago

LOL Susan too cute!!

As we all know, I threw caution to the wind and have been planting since April... a little at a time. It's good to have it done. Luckily everything that got killed by frost has since grown back, which included salvia and tomatoes.

I also had to give a lot away, mostly to my mom and I brought some perennials to work to plant. Hey... I might take the yuccas to work too, it's full sun. Good idea.

• prairierose
    17 years ago

The end is in sight. ( I have excellent distance vision with my contacts.) I almost finished my new rose bed today - just a few more annuals to pop in to fill the blanks. My boys came out after supper and helped me dig and move my old rose hedge. It's going to be the windbreak for the new bed. I might have finished tonight, however the sun went down... Next, I need to do my front flower bed, move a bunch of that lovely goutweed to where it can't swallow anything important, do some... and then move some... I do have a few less annuals to plant though. I had my trays on the north side of a shed, and the rain from the roof yesterday washed some of the plants right out of their little cells. Good thing you guys reminded me. I keep forgetting to plant out my tomatoes and pepper. Better do that first tomorrow.
    connie

• vrie
    17 years ago

I think I'm done here too-- unless I find some more plants I just can't pass up LOL Like those extra tomatoes earlier this week!

Actually, I am waiting for 2 lavender plants that are being replaced by gurney's since they died! But they have a place reserved for them.

Veggies are almost edible-- well salad anyway- With all this rain I can look out my bedroom window and practically WATCH them grow!

Also, I keep starting some seeds in window boxes and the sunroom- but some will be for sale this summer at our farmer's market.

I do find it ironic that I am off work for the summer, and I finished all my projects BEFORE the break! That was 3 new flower beds and an extension of the veggie garden and improving 4 other beds!

Oh well, I'll have plenty to do with pots and veggies and with all this rain- sigh- weeding. Maybe I'll move that tree- LOL

• hunnerbun
    17 years ago

Are you ever really finished planting?
    I don't ever feel like I see the end of it....
    Today I started out weeding...see new thread I started: Mares tail... then I moved into digging stuff up....See posting in Favorite clematis thread....and I got a few other things I the ground...a couple of Astilbes and some Salvias, the Morden Blush rose that I thought was dead...miraculously began sprouting sometime this week, so into the ground it went, along with a bunch of annuals that were like Shauna's crew there, crying to be uncrowded from their tiny pots!
    Hmmm....moved 2 wheelbarrow loads of soil, then I came in for a drink of water and called it a day...I think I was at it for 5 hours straight.
    Still have a bunch of stuff to get planted...ohhh Castor Beans...what was I thinking...these things are giagantic...and they only have their seed leaves up. Silly me, I planted 10 seeds and every one of them germinated! I also have a few perennial Morning glories and a canary bird vine that I started from seed that are getting a bit crowded out in the protable green house. Good thing I took today off work, I got a head start on things and...shoot me now...I am planning a trip to a green house tomorrow...Just to see what they have....LOL...I can hear you all rolling your eyes and snickering!
    I still haven't gotten my Day Lily order from Les Vivaces Nordiques...I'll have to call them on Monday and see whats up...I need them before I go away on the 20th so they can get planted. Can't have them sitting in a box for 3 weeks while I am on holidays!

• kristal
    17 years ago

I will be, just as soon as I dig out a new bed all the way around the back side of the house and pawn a few things off to my mom and at work. In other words, not even close. (All thanks to winter sowing.) I am in such big trouble.

• dannie
    17 years ago

I have a looooong way to go but I did get started today. All of the perennials are planted including the stawberry jar full of sedums. It looks nice already so it will be gorgeous in a week or so once the sedum recover from getting squished into the holes. I did get some of my shade containers done and I have the large pot on the steps done. So I am pretty happy with at least having put a dent into the 30+ containers that I plant each year.

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wooooohooooo.....the major weeding is done!!!! I split some more plants as others were getting crowded. So all looks good and airy again. LOL! Now the plan is to pull the little weeds as soon as they appear so in theory it takes less time. Lets just see if this works. Hmmmmmm

Sierra

• SeaOtterCove
    17 years ago

Not even close! I managed to get in a bunch the other day and then yesterday I planted everything I got from a new gardening buddy but I still have lots. Oh, I do have a few things from him still, a mayday tree, grape vine and a gooseberry bush. Will the mayday tree overwinter in the pot or due I have to plant it? I know where I want to plant it but I have to wait until drainage is done and that might be in the fall. Or should I just stick it in the ground and replant it next year?

Syreeta

• hunnerbun
    17 years ago

Well I am done for now....
    I did take a drive to that greenhouse I said I was going to....it is 100 km from me and I needed to break in my new truck...so I packed up the four legged kiddies and off we went for a drive. It is a very small privately owned greenhouse, but she had some really nice stuff. Pretty good prices too.
    I got 2 small flats of Dusty Miller (9 plants in each) 2 of Coleus (6 plants in each)these were $3.50 each, 2 Osteospermum $3 each and a good size hanging basket that had trailing Verbena, Aztec Silver Magic, around the edges a beautiful pale lavender, more mauve actually and in the center the most gorgeous orange coleus I have ever seen this was $25. Of course as soon as I came home I immediately snipped of 4 pieces of the Verbena and 2 pieces of the coleus and am trying to root them! I figured since I had such great success with my Million Bells, it couldn't hurt to try!
    I actually managed to get everything into the ground when I came home, I figured if I didn't do it who knows when it would have gotten in.
    Tomorrow is cleanup day...hubby already asked me if we could move the greenhouse off the deck so we could have some room to sit out there now! Guess I better get that done tomorrow, I think I'll move it down beside/behind the shed, out of sight out of mind. I still have a few ws flats with nothing happening in them also, so they'll go down there too.

• kashacres
    17 years ago

You all scare me, is it not too risky to plant cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, egg plant, okra, squash etc? Friday night we had a threat of frost. It has been cold and wet. I am itching to put the tranplants out, but I thought it maybe too early. Up here they say wait till June 15th.

Oh, anyone try growing hot and sweet peppers in containers? If yes, what size containers can be used? The ones I started from seed are about 15 inches high now and need to be put in bigger pots or in the ground.

• hunnerbun
    17 years ago

I don't do peppers but I do put my tomatoes in 5 gallon pails kashacres. I got them from the Safeway bakery center, cleaned them out and took a drill to the bottom and made lots of drain holes. I put landscape fabric over the bottom to keep the soil from washing out filled it up and planted them. The good thing is that because they have handles you can move them around to get the sun, or out of the sun as in my case when we go on holidays. That way I don't have to worry about them frying.

• greenlove
    17 years ago

Whew! I can't believe I'm done but I started in early to mid-May. I have two astilbe's, and an Engelman Ivy and a couple of creeping thyme plants to go in but I've managed to plant something like 10 roses, a veggie garden, a herb bed, some annuals and perennials grown from seed and some purchased and about 15-20 shrubs of varying sizes. I said I was going to focus on my yard this spring and managed to despite working 2 days a week as well as consulting and designing for clients. If I can remember how to use Photobucket I'll post some pics of my front and back yards. They're really starting to come together. I love it!!!
    I had a really successful year under the lights thanks to suggestions like using a fan to keep fruit flys away and camomile tea as damp off. Now I'm taking your advice on spit bugs and roses. Thanks everyone! You're helping me to become a REAL master gardener.
    Kate

• zima
    17 years ago

I have finished with my flowers, But my kitchen garden is a summer long planting, with some breaks. I am pulling redishes to eat every day and replacing them with beans and summer squash. One more bed left to eat and I will plant okra in it. By that time i will start seeding my fall lettuces and cabbages, as soon as my Norly peas are done, which will be by mid July, they will go in. And now I still have to seed more basil and second seeding of dill.
    This year I am planning to try to plant very late winter lettuce , see how long it will survive
    Ella

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

6 roses
    5 shrubs
    2 daylilies
    3 clematis
    1 orential lily
    1 Evans cherry tree (with a few cherries)
    This is my list of whats left to plant. Maybe I'll get some in tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

• hunnerbun
    17 years ago

Well I called Vivaced Nordiques today to find out about my Day Lily order and when it would be sent...Well he said they were still working on the March orders and I sent mine in May! He found my order form and said it would most likely have been sent the end of June...well I am going to be away until July 6 at least so they are going to hold the order and ship it then. So I guess I am officially done planting...unless I find something that follows me home in the meantime!
    Ohhhh and if I find Abundance in Brandon when I am down south!

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

3 Josee lilacs
    2 roses
    left to plant.
    I can't dig until it dries up a bit more. Maybe in a few more days.

17 years ago

Will you guys stop asking this question??? Obviously, the answer is NO! LOL

• prairierose
    17 years ago

I officially finished last week. Except for those teeny tiny perennial seedlings in the greenhouse, and some cuttings,... But yes, I am done (sort of, maybe)Of course, now we're having a heat wave, and the last of the plants I put out are suffering.
    Connie

• vrie
    17 years ago

At least for now I'm done again. I'm watching stuff grow and flower (mainly weeds I think!) Anyway, when I come home in 2 weeks, I'll start planting stuff for fall-- new radishes, turnips, onion sets and seeds. And 6 billion dandies and lamb's quarter seedlings! Oh well!

• luv2gro
    17 years ago

I'm with Marcia. I still have lots to do but gradually I'm getting there. I really don't ever remember being this late but it will get done. I did some more pots up today so that took out a good chunk of what I had left. I still have a couple more pots, a few more perennials and then a few more annuals for filling in.

Shauna

17 years ago

I need to get done this week, like pronto, because we'll probably be out at the lake for a week off and on starting on Friday. Three days. I wonder what they'd say at work if i told them i wasn't going to bother coming in because i have to finish planting? :>

• kristal
    17 years ago

I still have 20+ containers of foxgloves, a dozen lupines, some columbine, penstemon, and numerous slow sprouters waiting to go somewhere!!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Wahoooo!! I'm done planting FINALLY!

I'm so happy that I'm doin' the happy dance!

I think this has been the craziest year ever for planting. I think I got a bit carried away.........I did some totaling, and I put it about 130 new perennials, shrubs and clematis. I don't even know how many annuals this year..........I'm too tired to go out and count them too.
    Phewww *wiping brow* :^)

17 years ago

I'm pretty much done too. There's a trumpet vine i'm not sure what to do with - might take it to the hort. society's plant exchange next month. I have two catalpas i'm not sure what to do with (should post separately about that, eh?), and the sweet woodruff i bought yesterday. Later on, i'll be digging perennials out of the containers i put them in because i didn't know where to plant them - does that count? :)

Laurie, you get a month off and then it's time to start planting bulbs!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Marcia, I've only got one package of tulips coming this fall. And that's it.

Who knows, there might be some kind of bulb that grabs me in a box store this fall, but it'll have to be something special!

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

haha....well you guys are just plain slow.LOL! Laurie, I wouldn't even begin to try and count the number of plants that I planted this spring.

I have started what I consider to be fall planting. It started with my iris order.......now I have to keep watch when the perennials come on sale at the nursery.....they come on really really late here.....who knows what I might find there....then the fall bulbs from Costco (200 minimum)....and the orders that I placed....hopefully will all be planted before the snow flies. hee hee.

Sierra

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!