Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Trouble?

Crazy_Gardener
16 years ago

Oh geez, today while re-applying the straw mulch on some of the beds today I saw my first squirrel in my neck of the woods. I've been out here going on 8 years and I've never ever seen them in my garden.

They are cute but I think I'm in trouble!

Sharon

Comments (13)

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I believe it was this guy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Squirrel

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

I've had them, Sharon, and they have never bothered anything in the garden, and as a matter of fact I enjoy having them around. I put out a large nut mix and they don't bother with the birdfeeders. Throughout the winter they mostly hide out, eating up all they've cached and only emerge on the balmier winter days. My resident squirrel ("Petey") disappeared over the summer and another hasn't taken its place yet but hopefully one does - Petey used the birdfeeder arbor as his personal jungle gym and provided me with plenty of entertainment.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh that's good to know Pudge, I just hope they don't dig up my tulips/ lilies and other bulbs.

Sharon

• CrazyDaisy_68
    16 years ago

We have squirrels here too and they run along the edge of my window sills all the time and keep me & the kiddos entertained during the winter. They seem to leave my garden alone so I don't mind them at all.

• glen3a
    16 years ago

My local squirrels don't seem to cause much trouble, though I do find peanuts hidden here and there (someone in the neighborhood feeds them). In fact it's sort of amazing where I find peanuts. I had a plant on the deck right against the wall of the house. I don't see them but I guess they come on the deck. I usually see the squirrels running along the telephone wires into the tall trees across my back lane, rarely see them in my yard, though occasionally they do come.

One year one of them was running along the fence, jumping into my apple tree, and running along the fence carrying apples. I don't really mind (plenty of apples) but they sometime drop the apples so I hope my neighbors don't think I am throwing apples in their yard.

Glen

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

The most frequent trouble they are here is that they seem to like to tease the dogs by going in a tree that has flowerbeds underneath full of perennials. Then the dogs don't care what they are stepping on because their mind is on the stupid squirrel in the tree.

One year they did enjoy the bids of the tulips though. A little cayenne pepper fixed that.

In the past, though, they have gotten into the garage and claimed it as their own, then it's war!

Brenda

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

Speaking of squirrels in the garage -- this past spring I went to pull down frost blankets from a high shelf in the garage. As I pulled, a shower of peanuts came pouring down on me. After I got over my initial scare and subsequent scream, I counted about 75 peanuts. There wasn't a nest or anything, just a stash of food.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

Hah! I'm picturing Glen's neighbours shaking their heads over the crazy man next door! LOL

Brenda, i know what you mean about dogs and squirrels. Red is very well trained not to go into any of the gardens, but if there's a squirrel or a mouse around all of the training is out the window!

• Konrad___far_north
    16 years ago

I'm surprised, with this cool weather just seen one yesterday!
    We have a regular red Squirrel here in our Beaumont backyard, has never caused any problem, I think you'll
    never see too many together, they are territorial.
    Yesterday and today with all that wind, some apples have blown off the tall spruce tree[again], the squirrel has saved up!
    I'm sure, tomorrow he is howling them back up again.LOL

This picture from earlier, eating a green mugo pine cone.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh wow, what a great photo Konrad!

• Konrad___far_north
    16 years ago

Thank you Sharon!
    Cold weather is moving in,....haven't seen it for a few day's...I guess it's hibernating time.
    Konrad

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Konrad, I didn't realize they hibernated, I thought they hunted all year around?

• Konrad___far_north
    16 years ago

You're right Sharon,...not sure, where I have been hearing about that squirrels hibernate, I guess some do.
    All I know for the past few years with heaving squirrels around, they are not seen in very cold weather until
    it warms up during the winter., I should say he went into hiding.
    Konrad