Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keets_gw

NE Augusta, Ohio Plant Swap

keets
16 years ago

Saturday June, 7, 2008

Place: Augusta, is in NE Ohio on route 9, in-between Minerva and Summitville, in Carroll County. The swap will be held at the FiremanÂs Park on Andora Rd NE, you need to turn north at the Strawberry Festival Banner, the park is just up the road.

Time: 10.00 AM

This is our first swap. We have had a lot of interest in this and have been placing flyers in the surrounding areas. Anyone close enough that would like to join us, welcome. Come, meet new people, make new friends, enjoy yourselves, and get some beautiful plants. Please e-mail me if you have any questions.

1. Trading Materials: plants, well rooted cuttings potted up, bulbs, shrubs, nice sized seedlings, garden material, lawn or garden ornaments, gardening implements etc. Please mark all plants with name or if name is unknown mark the care needed on a tag.

2. Plan For The Day:

10:00 to 12:00 Â people arrive, sign-in with the number of plants they have, get their name

tag. Place plants in viewing and swap area, they will be marked with plants varieties. Visit

with the other traders, and view the plants.

Noon: Lunch, after lunch door prizes will be awarded

1:00 Â Swap begins

Round 1 1-plant choice

Round 2 1-plant choice

Round 3 pick two plants

Round 4 pick three plants etc.

3. Door Prizes: We will have door prizes. If you would like to donate anything for a door prize

it would be appreciated. A donation can be any thing you would enjoy receiving yourself. A special plant you would like to share, a craft item, something you think a gardener would appreciate.

4. Pot Luck Lunch: Please bring a dish to share with a serving utensil. Please bring you own

beverage with personal plates and silverware. There will be a donation jar if you would like to help with the cost of the shelter rental.

We will have a table with brochures from the area cottage businesses. Some of you may enjoy visiting them while in our area. Carroll County has a wealth of interesting places and things to see and visit. There will be no selling of any kind.

If you are looking for a special plant, ask here. Someone might have one they are willing to share or they may be willing to make a private trade.

Image link:

Comments (43)

• kin2mice
    16 years ago

Count me in!! I love swaps!
    I'll have a list of things that I'll be bringing after the Central Ohio swap is over! There is always plenty left over

• keets
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kin2mice, I'm glad your coming, I am looking forward to meeting you. We have started advertising this swap and have a lot of interested people, some from out of state. I haven't decided what I am bringing yet. I have many plants to split this spring. Twila

• jeanie43945
    16 years ago

I will be there too , don't know what I will bring yet. There are some really nice little shops in the area to visit after the swap . Looking forward to meeting every one. Jeanie

• keets
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I got another door prize today, a good one! Does anyone know what they are bringing? I will maybe bring some daylilys, hosta, spring bulbs, lugworts, and coral bells. I don't know which ones yet, I will have to check what needs split.

• popeye_1
    16 years ago

I will be coming to the swap,don't know what I will be bringing yet but I did see a couple of the door prizes. Keets is right ,they are good ones.

• kin2mice
    16 years ago

I'll always have pond stuff (yellow water iris, horse tail, water celery, and maybe a few others)Don't know what else as I have just started to dig for the Mid ohio swap in Hilliard. I might have some of my woodlands or bulbs that would need divided. I'll see about rounding up a few door prizes as well. Twila I think we met already a few years ago at a small swap in some little town I can't remember. I had a van with writing all over it.
    any if not can't wait.
    I may bring a friend or two.

• maozamom NE Ohio
    16 years ago

I've been cleaning my flower beds the last few days. Although it's a bit early to know exactly what I'll be bringing I can tell that some of the flowers are getting crowded. I should have a nice selection for the swap.

• keets
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cathy, the coral bells look terrible but I am going to start spliting them next week. I know I will have some different lugworts this year. Maybe some daylilies, not sure as they will just be starting to bloom. I have lots of bulbs to dig. Maybe some iris. It will be good to see you.
    kin2mouse, I have only been to the fall swap in Hilliard. I met some great people there and had a fun time. I can't go in the spring as I am out of town. That is when we decided to have a swap of our own, it was so much fun getting to go the swap there. I am looking forward to meeting you. Twila

• andreaz6wv
    16 years ago

Hi,

I am in WV, but have family at Guilford Lake and Minerva, so I might come up. I have never been to swap and am new to a lot of this, so I won't have many plants. I wrote a post to the Hilliard swap, so maybe I'll try both :)

Andrea

• keets
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Andrea, we would love to have you come. I have only been to the one in Hilliard in the fall for the last two years. It is so much fun. I am out of state in the spring when they have their swap, so we decided to have one of our own a little later up here. You don't need a lot of plants. A lot of gardeners bring more than they take home. I know I did last year. I have quite a few things this year, I am just looking things over and deciding what to take now.
    Twila

• andreaz6wv
    16 years ago

Thanks for the reply Twila. I think I'll make plans to be there. Ok, I see you say people bring more than they take back. So what's a good number of items to bring, especially if 3/4 of my stuff might be non-plant items.
    If this is a silly question, sorry.

Andrea

• jeanie43945
    16 years ago

Andra, so glad to hear you are coming , Bring what you can. We are located in the what is called The tri state area, where Ohio, Pa, and W.V. meet. We know we have people coming from Pa . too.
    Its the first plant swap in this area and we think it will be a big one . The local Carroll County visitors Bureau is involved too. Went to a Craft Show sat . and there was a lot of talk about it there , every one seems so excited about it .
    Dad and Mom lived at Guilford Lake , so you will just come on down Rt. 9. Jeanie

• keets
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Andrea, just bring what you can. I took about 25 things to the Columbus swap last year and did not take that many things home. I might bring some non-plant items. People seem to like them as well as the plants. I do photo flower cards that are very nice. We have already gotten some nice door prizes. I may have some starts of Cappuccino and Choc. Ruffles heucheras and maybe some others of them. I have lugwort Victorian Brooch and Silver Shimmer. Some ensata iris I grew from seed, white and dark purple and light purple. Maybe some verbena bonariensis, I really like it. Some prennial sunflower, they can be invasive but are easy to pull up. I may also bring some Smugglers Gold daylily. At least that is what I am looking at right now.

• andreaz6wv
    16 years ago

Sounds great now that I know I can get crafty too :) I talked to my Grandmother at Guilford and she is going with me.

Andrea

• keets
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We have a couple of these for door prizes and they are beautiful. I want one! I am posting this link for Rhea.

Here is a link that might be useful: picasa

• jeanie43945
    15 years ago

if you haven't looked at the door prize posted by Keets at Picasa, please do so . I have one of these and every one loves it , it is about 10"tall . I have quite a few smaller toad stools , this one is new this year , plan to hide in some Hostas. Hope to see you all at the plant exchange . Looking like it is going to be a large one . Jeanie

• chrizty
    15 years ago

k i maked this on my calender, dont know if i can go. but just in case:)
    is pampus grass ok to bring? im just now cleaning n cutting mine i could pot some,?
    i have forsythina bushes i could pot up?
    are no names ok to bring? i have purple bearded iris but dont know the "names" n some daffodils, n hostas.
    n how many bulbs do you put in a pot?

• keets
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chrizty, look forward to seeing you, hope you can make it.
    I am sure someone will want the pampus grass and the forsythina bushes. OK to bring No Names, just put the care needed with them. Sun/shade tender or invasive, stuff like that. I am also bringing iris, I am going to dig them the night before the swap and not pot them. Same with daffodils. Like you I am not sure what will make a pick. Hostas I am going to pot them up. I don't know how many I will have and some daisy type tall flowers. I have some named lungworts, (pulmonaria) Victorian Brooch, maybe some other named ones. Some named and unnamed heuchers or coral bells. We will be having some awesome door prizes.

• chrizty
    15 years ago

thanks Keets:)
    ill watch my alliums n see what i can dig up, right now i got some wild onions growin in with em n cant tell whats whats! lol ill have to wait till they bloom. i potted up a bleeding heat so far it looks good
    LOL i dont know if i can make it but im sure planing on it :)

• maozamom NE Ohio
    15 years ago

So far I have hostas Lemon Lime, Francee, and Striptease. I'm sure I'll have more hosta. I also have goatsbeard, brunnera, ornamental strawberry 'Lipstick' and a number of sedums, both tall and creeping. Is anyone like an Angels Trumpet? Send me an e-mail if you're interested in a private trade of hosta or perennials. mao

• chrizty
    15 years ago

what every one bring for the pot luck dinner?
    im almost 2hrs away so a cooked plate might not be a good idea for me to bring?

• shasta_2008
    15 years ago

Hi All, I'm coming too & I'm bringing my sister with me!! I'm a newbie so I don't know what I'll bring for plants. I'll see what I can start digging up. :) Can't wait to meet everyone!

• keets
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was thinking I might make Sloppy Joes. Also some pecan caramel cookies.
    Cathy I potted up some red bee balm today, also I have a peony but it is not a single, I think a double pink.

Shasta, I'm looking forward to meeting you and your sister. My two sisters are also coming. they are great cooks and bakers.
    Chrizty, you will have a long drive, I know everything seems to get eaten and enjoyed at the Columbus swap. I will need to keep an eye on the bleeding heart, mine died last year and I have been wanting another. I potted up some Brazilian verbena, it is hard too pot up when it is larger, so it is very small but grows fast. Some pink sanguneum geraniums, and Red Husker Penstemon, maybe some Tovara and more named and unnamed heucheras. Also have lots of unnamed hostas.More later.
    Plants on my want list helleboras, bamboo, trillium, and some jack-in-the pulpit, anyone got any of these for private trades?

• kin2mice
    15 years ago

I just posted my plant list here on the gardenweb (or at least I think I did lol) these are plants I am bring to the Central swap but if anyone wants something let me know now and I 'll save it. Also I'll have at least one coworker with me and possiblly my mum. I haven't started to dig yet for this one but I have a big list to work on!.
    Can't wait to come I just love road trips!

• shasta_2008
    15 years ago

I have a silly question, can we bring annuals too? If not let me know, my feelings won't be hurt :)

• jeanie43945
    15 years ago

Shasta, annuals, YES, any thing that is garden related . Who doesn't plant some annuals . The door prizes are worth coming for , we have some dandys, The latest is a night at The Spread Eagle Tavern and Inn. The Tavern is an artfully restored Federal style three story historic brick inn.Built in 1837, it offers really fine dinning, in a charming historic setting. Large open beam ceilings and hugh stone and brick fireplaces. Guests rooms are on the upper floors . The town has a lot of really old buildings . The inn is located on Hostoric Plymouth Street. Not far from the plant swap. Good luck to all on this one . jeanie

• christieb199
    15 years ago

Sounds like fun.
    I would love to attend.
    I am a newbie, so only have daylily, hosta, and sedum, all that I do not know that name for.

Is this at a covered area with picnic tables? Or are tables and chairs suggested?

If hot food is being made, is there electric available to keep food warm?

Do you receive tickets or something of like per plant that is brought? And the garden art and craft items are traded as well?

Sorry for all the questions. This is my first swap that I will be able to attend, as I am sure you can tell :)

Thanks
    Christie

• keets
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcom Christie, there is a covered picnic area but if you have room it might be a good idea to bring a chair, we seem to be getting a lot of interest and we might have a lot of people. You will get a name tag with the number of plants you are swapping and you can take that many home and sometimes there are extra plants left over. There will be electric to keep the food warm. Garden art and garden crafts are welcome. This is our first swap in this area and the first one we have given, so we are excited. Looking forward to seeing you there. When you are just starting out it is hard to have named plants, in the beginning I just put them in the ground and forgot names, so I am sure there will be unnamed plants there. Twila

• jeanie43945
    15 years ago

Got another nice door prize today , a gift certificate for $15.00 at local Amish hand made furniture shop. They have very nice stuff. Jeanie

• diggerb2
    15 years ago

i'd really like to come to this one, but will be in chicago that week end. would you put me on an email list if you decide to have one in the fall too/

Thanks
    diggerb

email:
    dinerwillyb@yahoo.com

• popeye_1
    15 years ago

Been digging. Have perennial geraniums,nepata,sedums and more sedums,violet "Freckles" . Lots more to dig. Now am thinking about whats for dinner?

• keets
    Original Author
    15 years ago

diggerb, I will post here on this site next year. I hope you can come and join us then. Twila

• jeanie43945
    15 years ago

Well it is getting close , we have looked over the grounds again and we will have lots of room , lots of parking space , electric , covered picnic area, and from feedback I am hearing lots of plants , and food. If you have a folding chair would be a good idea to bring it.We will also have an area for you to unload . If you can think of any thing I have missed ,please let me know , or any ideas that you might like to see done .
    This week-end is crammed full for me . This is the week-end we have the big tractor pull at Mechanicstown , if you are close come on down and get a peach or apple dumpling at our church booth. They are so good . Jeanie

• keets
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Time is getting close. Thrusday Jeanie and I went hosta shopping. We were discussing our plant swap with the owner and when we left he gave us Hosta June and Orange Marmalade and a hanging basket for door prizes. He has hosta growing in a slat house and they are hugh, worth making a side trip when you are here, he has great hosta with good prices. Then went to lunch at the Blue Bird Inn and they gave us (without asking) a lunch for two with a little glass blur bird. We were excited.

• shasta_2008
    15 years ago

I can't wait! Are you going to have a local map of the area available for the side trips? We plan on spending some time in Augusta after the swap but have never been there before. The prizes sound wonderful, sounds like you're doing a great job getting the door prizes! Is this event rain or shine?

• keets
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shasta, we will try to have some maps for you. We do have some things. If we don't have what you need then we will figure it out for you. Looking forward to seeing you there. Here are a few things I am bringing. The hostas are some of my crosses and Lemon Lime. Mouse, my big boy will enjoy the pond flowers, hope I get some, Twila

• maozamom NE Ohio
    15 years ago

It's a good thing this swap is soon or I might give away all my best plants. Just Monday I had a couple walking by my house and we started talking and before I let them leave I gave them Iris Jewel Baby, hosta Striptease, and daylily Pardon Me.

I also bringing two different brugmansia, angel trumpets. I hope someone wants these, they really need to get out of their tiny pots I rooted them in.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone Saturday.

• keets
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You gave me one of the iris Baby Jewel when we traded. I am bringing two, it grows so fast. I love it that it blooms so early and it is beautiful. I have some other things I am bringing, Penstemon, Red Husker, hosta Leola Fraim
    hosta lemon lime
    hosta Chinese Sunrise
    hosta some of my crossed babies, mimi
    red bee balm
    prennial sunflowers
    hosta Snow Flakes
    daylily Smugglers Gold
    several different types of iris
    columbine pink, blue
    daisy
    lungwort
    huechera
    verbena bonariensis, I have about 8 of those potted up, if you don't have it try and get some, I love it, a butterfly magnet
    someother things to put in are: pots, potted spider plants, flower cards,I make my own from my photos, who knows what else. Also things for door prizes

BABY JEWEL

• jeanie43945
    15 years ago

Hi , Have been working on the door prizes and we have over 20 now , all nice. Be a good idea to bring a lawn chair. The way it is raining over Ohio ,bring your rain gear. we will be under roof to have lunch. Forecast is warm and showers , mostly later in the evening. We hope it misses us. Now its time to start thinking about food.I am looking forward to that .See you, Jeanie

• jeanie43945
    15 years ago

Hi , Some one has ask for directions from Columbus.there are different ways , but this is the way we go to Columbus.We take rt. 70 out of Columbus to rt.37 , you are only on this rt for a short while until you hit rt. 16 this takes you right in to Cochocton, where you will take rt36 to rt. 71 to New Philadelphia, where you will pick up rt.39 into Carrollton.From Carrollton you will take rt. 9 to Augusta, where you will see the banner over the street for the Strawberry Festable.Turn left and we will be waiting for you. This is all good roads.
    Or you can take rt.70 to rt.77 and come into New Philadephia that way . Again take 39east.
    Or take rt.71 to rt.30 east into Canton ,take rt 30 to Minerva. At the first red light , turn right.you will cross the railtoad tracks , cementery on your left, come to a stop sign, go stright, the next street you will turn right and the next road you will turn left, there is a little beer joint thereon the right and right up the street you will see a greenhouse on your right.this road takes you right into Augusta , about 4 miles or so. again you turn left at the banner.
    If you have any questions , please just ask . also let me know which way you are coming , if its thur Carrollton , will take you to Rt. 9 I hope this helps Jeanie

• jeanie43945
    15 years ago

Mistake , big mistake , when you go up rt.36 out of Cochocton you will get on rt. 77 north to New Philadephlia. NOT 71. Sorry about that.
    Hoping I get a piece of Angel Trumpets . Will check and see if anyone has a cell phone ,so you all can call if you get lost ,but that is very unlikely. Very easy to find . Jeanie

• shasta_2008
    15 years ago

Twila, I wanted to let you know I had a good time at my first plant swap! It was nice meeting you and some of the others, my sister enjoyed herself as well and is excited to become a gardener! I had my eyes on the canna bulbs and was so excited with the swap I totally forgot to grab them, good luck to the person who did end up with them. :) I did come home with a nice variety of flowers and will be planting later this evening. The door prizes were great, when we left we headed straight to Manfull Orchard Farm Market to use my gift certificate, I came home with two different kinds of salsa, honey & apple butter. It's a nice shop to visit. I met Joyce who owns Bluebird Farm and will be taking another trip down to visit. I just wanted to let you know we had a great time and the food was wonderful, thanks for organizing the swap-it was a job well done!
    Carol

• keets
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carol, it was so nice to meet you and I am glad you enjoyed your first swap. We had about 50 people which is good for our first one. But next year we want to get more of the locals to come out and join us. We don't have plant swaps as a rule around here so it was something new, but everyone enjoyed it. We will advertise more next year. The food, there is no words to describe the food, I just took a spoon full of each thing so I got a taste of everything, and desserts, there was no way I could taste everything and I wanted too.
    Joyce is a doll and you would enjoy the Blue Bird. But if you go you MUST make sure that you go into the toy museum, you don't want to miss it. Of course you must stop at Betty Kaye Bakery. In the fall The Perennial Place has a big sale and it is only a little way out of town, he has nice plants.
    I was so tired from the night before, I dug until 9:30 as I wanted the plants to be fresh. I took 75 things, some were for my son, he was the one who gave the beautiful bud vases of the girls head and the flower dog. I wanted to have a good selection of plants so everyone got something they wanted. Next year you can always get on here and tell people what you are bringing and what you would like to have. Sometimes there is someone out there who has extra and they are willing to share them. (I wanted to make sure there were plenty of plants for people who wanted extra.
    In the fall (spring too) they have one in Columbus, it is fun to go there.
    I took some pictures but they were not very good, I will try to get them posted this week. I am leaving for 9 days in the Outer Banks on Saturday. I must get these plants and in the ground before then.
    Out mike wasn't working and we have a few things we may change next year but overall I thought it was great.
    One of the young girl was so happy, she is a new gardener and she said she had the best pile there. I told her everyone thought they had the best pile, each one was unique. One of the children was so excited, he got a yucca and he was so happy he had the biggest plant there. Every plant ended up gone, and everyone helped cleanup, it was such a good day. Thank you and your sister for coming and helping to make it such a success. Twila

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022