Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdossol

Design Help for this Built-In in Dining Room

cdossol
11 years ago
I have a lot of built-ins in my new home. I'm really having trouble with this one in the dining room with so many openings. I do not want to fill with books or china or photo frames. I want it to look modern and not cluttered...worthy of a magazine.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    I would love to see you paint the interior for depth, what accent color do you have in the room? I am trying to see your art, is it pale blue? If so paint the back of the spaces with this color, then hang mirrors such as this picture, all you would need is the paint and the mirrors to create an interesting wall. Allow a few things into the spaces such as linen bound books with the jackets showing in the same color as the fabric on your chairs. Keep anything you put back into the spaces the same linen color. You could paint some of the items you already have. Lovely room feature by the way!

Susan Mills
  • lionnessone
    11 years ago
    From the top of the cabinet to the forth shelf down add glass cabinet doors, you will need four. The first one will be attached to the first vertical unit, and the second to the next vertical unit, opening from the center, opening to the left and to the right. On the right side you will do the same. From that point down attach solid cabinet doors that match your entrance door. You are tuning your shelving unit into a built in hutch. Does that make any sense?
  • puncuz
    11 years ago
    Why don't you combine some of them ,especially in the middle-place a Buddha or so. Use modern lightening and highlight the same.
  • lionnessone
    11 years ago
    I attached inspirational pictures I found on Houzz. Now that makes sense! [houzz=
    Dining Room · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Capital Hill Residence · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    I see you have six horizontal shelves , use the third and fourth for Books and in rest of the sections put one object each for it to stand out ANM's post has a nice idea of Walnut boxes , keep then in the bottom shelf , alternately Susan's Inspirational picture has the base with shutters that too is a good idea , But you have White So when you place any object it will look Beautiful but Remember Less is More !
  • cdossol
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all for the suggestions!
  • anitajoyce
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    if you use the items in the picture, place only one in each space. It looks too cluttered the way it is now. Also, how about something to fill the space in another color like green or blue to go with the black. Mix it up. The room is very bland.
  • nmcs
    11 years ago
    Put some cupboard doors over the bottom 2 or 3 (I'm not sure of the dimensions of the space or your storage needs). Put one item in each of the rest. Consider putting some sculptured accents along the top to soften the look if you like that sort of thing, or accent with a different color on the wall behind or on the shelves themselves. Maybe some under cupboard lights in some of them for accent. Not all of these together to avoid being too busy, but some of them to create an interesting look
Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!