My builder uses Houzz Pro to plan the timeline and give detailed estimates and daily updates with photos of progress, and provide invoices at pre-agreed key points in the build. This made the whole experience much more efficient and stress-free.
I was wondering what type of pots you keep your episcias growing in? Up to this point all of mine are in plastic pots. One is in need of repotting and I was thinking about trying a self watering pot. Does anyone use these for theirs?
Plastic pots are fine. Be sure to use shallow pots. Episcias like to have their roots fairly close to the top of the soil. Many people are growing them in saucers for this.
I have grown them up into big pots. But, they are not long lived in the same large pot for an indefinite period of time. Episcias really need to be worked on frequently. They like to be repotted and propagated. Often you can get your future best plant by starting a stolon off your current best plant. So, a plant can be moved up into a larger pot, and be grown into a monster, but eventually it will start to decline--and then, the large pot becomes too large and the plant declines from suddenly being overpotted. I don't know why this is the case, since this is a terrestrial plant that creeps along the ground, making big patches of plant, rooting as it goes.
So, in general, they like small pots--and shallow pots work well for growing them onto a larger size--you can pin down several stolons to make a very nice full pot. I like to use six inch bulb pans but have one looking good in an 8" bulb pan. But, generally I grow them in 4-5" pots or smaller.
I always wind up using 4-5" pots and you are right, they do grown into monsters, but they are beautiful monsters until you absolutely have to start them over.
My main monster episcia (my first) came to me growing in a very large glass bowl, with shallow moss,etc., in the bottom. Do you mean I'll have to eventually remove it from there? If so, how? It's so big, it pretty well fills the bowl, though I'm trying to thin it out. Thanks for your help. Becky
robitaillenancy1
BeverlyAL
Related Professionals
Evansville Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Elizabethtown Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Cincinnati Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Auburn Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Gary Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Augusta Landscape Contractors · Baton Rouge Landscape Contractors · Bakersfield Landscape Contractors · Dallas Architects & Building Designers · Lynchburg Architects & Building Designers · Beckley Architects & Building Designers · Fargo Architects & Building Designers · Youngstown Architects & Building Designers · Tacoma Architects & Building Designers · Cheyenne Architects & Building Designersjon_d
BeverlyAL
perennial_girl
stonesriver
Beckworth