Unpotting hedychiums
Last year I ordered some hedychiums and potted them up 4 to a pot, thinking I wanted the pot full. Now I am realizing that they are winter hardy and I would like to put them in the ground.
I've got 2 pots full of them, and they seem to have multiplied.
So today I tried to unpot them. The roots were huge and all tangled. In trying to separate the gingers I broke some of the bulbs or corms or whatever they are called. Mucho roots were broken. I ended up only breaking the 9 gingers that were growing in one pot into 3 sections and planting the 3 sections. I am scared that they are going to die since the corms are broken and many roots are gone.
How should I have done this properly? I still have another pot and it looks like 10 gingers are growing out of it. How do I separate them? Should I not separate them at all and just plant them all together like that? I would think that 10 gingers in such a small area would be a bad idea. Do they multiply quickly?
Thanks for any help you could give, I've never dealt with gingers before.
Carrie

sowandsew
Related Professionals
Cincinnati Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Portsmouth Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Erie Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Eau Claire Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Monroe Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Magnolia Landscape Contractors · Gainesville Landscape Contractors · Dayton Landscape Contractors · Clarksburg Landscape Contractors · Wheeling Landscape Contractors · Lancaster Landscape Contractors · Lewiston Landscape Contractors · Hagerstown Architects & Building Designers · San Luis Obispo Architects & Building Designers · Salem Architects & Building Designers