Software
Houzz Logo Print
tryingmybest

Making a brick wall functional

14 years ago
Spec: A family room, contemporary style in the rest of the house. The family room is 18'5" long X 13'6" wide with a ceiling height of 7"9". The brick covers the entire wall. The wood burning fireplace is NOT centered (4'8" to the right and 5'8" to the left). The elevated base is 1' high X 1'5" deep and runs the entire length of the wall

What we'd like: a mantle above the fireplace and then we'll mount the tv above that. The fireplace and 1-2' on either side will remain exposed brick, floor to ceiling. For the rest of the wall, I'd like practical shelving and lower-level cabinets. Cabinets will store toys and should be easily accessible for young children. Shelving will store cable box, surround sound, etc. Of course, I'll add decorative accents and family photos to 'pretty' it up. Functional is definitely more important than beautiful while the kids are still young.

Issue: I have seen LOTS of great ideas for fireplaces when the base sits only immediately in front of the fireplace. Have yet to see photos of how to handle a long base like mine. Tearing down the base is not an option for us. Am thinking that building cabinets/shelving on top of the exposed base would look awkward..but I could be wrong since I've never seen it before. Am not a big fan of painting brick but would consider it if the rest of the design idea works

I would appreciate any ideas and suggestions. If you have this same type of brick wall, post a pic so I can see your design. Thanks!

Comments (15)

  • 14 years ago
    Could you build it on top, but add a "kick plate" in the same material as the cabinet of sorts to cover the section of brick?
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Perhaps adding a different material on top of the brick hearth could help with your issue. It would be nice to match the hearth cap with your mantel And of course, decorating will make a huge difference. Your idea to add a nice mantel is on the right track. A fireplace surround would be an acceptable solution as well. I'm not sure how the shelving will fit, so I'll leave that open for others to help out with. Here are a couple of ideas for you. I know they aren't brick walls, but you can see the different materials used and how they match up. Hope it helps a little.
    Gas Fireplaces · More Info

    Angelo Fireplace Surround · More Info

    Florentina Fireplace Surround · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks, Rustic! I like the Angelo surround. The soft colors in the stone and mantle have the same earthy tones as I've used in the rest of the hose
  • 14 years ago
    Television screens should be at eye level when you are sitting down. Above a fireplace is usually too high unless you use a tilt-arm mounting bracket. Be aware that heat from the fireplace might impact the television.

    This particular whole-wall-of-brick Design Dilemma has been coming up frequently. Some folks are building cabinets below the mantle, with the television and related cables out of sight behind a cabinet door when not in use.
  • 14 years ago
    Over-the-FP TVs are now being installed on a tilt so as to aid viewing, so don't worry that it will be too high to watch. I'd be more concerned that it will dwarf the FP opening itself and look unbalanced, and top heavy.Working with such low ceilings won't help with this large tv either. I'd consider continuing with the visual offered by the bookcase on the left. Wrap a built-in matching it around that end of the FP and wire for tv installation to the left of the FP opening.
  • 14 years ago
    Tipi - I'm not a big fan of tvs over the fp either but we've tried a variety of configurations and there is nowhere else for it to go. The corner it is in now eats up a ton of space and with young kids, I need all the space I can get. Also, we haven't been able to use the fp since we put it there. Not that we're big on using the fireplace (maybe 3 or 4 times a year) but it would be nice to get some use out of it. We'd definitely get the tilt-arm mounting bracket to help with viewing though.

    Deco - the tv is 44" across and 28" high while the fireplace (with no surround) is 34" across and 31" high. I do plan to add a surround so I'll look at possibly adding 5" to either side. That could help with the balance. I hadn't thought about placing the tv in with the built-in. Will have to sketch out some designs and play with the room layout to see if I can make that work.

    Thank you both for posting!
  • 14 years ago
    If you could put the television in a built-in as deconenthusiate suggests, I think you will be pleased. I was not able to explain myself well enough for you to understand that we were both thinking along the same lines.
  • 14 years ago
    paint it - paint it - paint it !!!! A neutral color, like taupe. I would then hang a very thick interesting mantle, to break up the wall, and have the mantel start at one end of the fire place across to the other side.... horizontally.....I would then hang the TV over the mantel. Looks like you could use some lighting through out the room. I would do this for starters!!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Extend the fire place and tile it to give the wall a better proportional look. Skim coat the brick hearth to level and cover it with natural stone such as Granite, Marble, etc. Install television above the mantel.
  • 13 years ago
    here is a long base of fireplace and it looks nice!
    Vail Village Guest House · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I think that you make better look of your fairplace with mantel...and long base is really really nice!
    Traditional Living Room · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I would paint it white or light color. Here is a shorter fireplace painted and she made a great DIY mantle that looks like rough hewn lumber. http://www.addicted2decorating.com/diy-rough-hewn-wood-fireplace-mantel.html
  • 13 years ago
    Here is a picture of that fireplace with diy mantle
  • 13 years ago
    You may have seen this one but this is another massive red brick FP painted light that made a huger difference. http://www.younghouselove.com/photo-gallery-2/room-by-room-source-list/sources/