Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maschnei

Ornamental Grass ID help

maschnei
16 years ago

Hi,

New here and need some help identifying what type of OG this is. I purchased three plants a couple years ago and I need to replace one, but I don't remember what they are. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of my OG

Comments (8)

• grass_guy
    16 years ago

It's a miscanthus sinensis, but can't be sure what variety. Flowering that's kind of high above foliage, could be Malepartus, Graziella or several others. Blades look a bit wide to be Graziella. Definite midrib. Hard to say for sure. What month were these photos taken last year? Did you lose a plant due to cold this winter?

• chestnutpatrick
    16 years ago

Morning light?

• maschnei
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Grass Guy, these photos were taken Oct 28 last year. I had already lost one of the plants the previous winter. It went dormant and just never came back. Height may be a little deceiving in the photos but they are only about 38-40" high.

Chestnut, Definately not morning light, those are much larger.

• grass_guy
    16 years ago

Maybe Miscanthus 'Adagio' or 'Yaku Jima'? Does have a silver mid-rib. Bloom time would be right for Adagio and height with plumes is about 3 1/2'. Hardy to zone 6, so a colder than normal winter in zone 6 could cause loss.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miscanthus Adagio

• willowmist
    16 years ago

I'd agree with Adagio. The height and borderline hardiness certainly fit (though they do fine most years for me in Zone 5), as well as the more rounded base foliage. You certainly could use Adagio and they'd look so alike that few if any folks would know if they're not the same variety.

• calumagrostis
    16 years ago

It looks to me like it could be m.sinensis 'Kliene Fontane'

• chestnutpatrick
    16 years ago

Adagio is probably correct. The grass is in full bloom and the plant is only 2'-3' tall. Makes sense to me.

PC

• maschnei
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the input folks. Adagio might be a winner.

Sponsored
More Discussions