Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jadie88

Brass Lantern or Sweet Tea

jadie88
9 years ago

Hi guys! If you had to pick only one of these, what would it be? How do they compare in vigor, color duration, wow factor...?

Thank you!

Comments (13)

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

i like them both. sweet tea is very good here in zone 5. i think they were both designed to grow well in the southern realms, if i remember my u-tube lessons

dave

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

They both have that wow factor. Sweet Tea is very orange and gets a lot bigger than BL. Brass Lantern has cool color changes-red to orangey brown to brass. It would be a hard choice for me. I love them both.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

i like them both. sweet tea is very good here in zone 5. i think they were both designed to grow well in the southern realms, if i remember my u-tube lessons

dave

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

And, if you pair them with hostas, both plants look even better

*wink, wink ... nudge, nudge*

_~

dave

• jadie88
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hehe...yeah, everything looks better next to hosta, eh! I can't bring myself to admit it back in the hosta forum, but today I blew my "Hosta Budget" on heuchs! Eek...! I'll take some pics tomorrow. :)

• tepelus
    9 years ago

I have both and like both. Brass Lanterns is a bigger plant and flowers more heavily than Sweet Tea. They are quite similar in looks so it depends really if you want one that grows a little bigger or smaller.

Brass Lanterns

• tepelus
    9 years ago

And here's Sweet Tea

Karen

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Maybe there's a zone difference, the colors on these two are pretty different for me. They are across the way from each other, but I just so happened to buy another Brass Lantern yesterday, so I sat it beside my Sweet Tea that's in the ground and I think the difference is marked.

For me (similar zone to you, Jadie), Sweet Tea has a very even color to it throughout and Brass Lantern really varies on it's color all over. Some leaves have a green base to them, some a more "autumn" coloring, some lighter, some darker, etc. Very unique color pattern of all of my heucheras (and I have quite a few different ones). Hope the comparison shot helps.

Which one would I prefer? I'd have to choose Brass Lantern because of it's unique color scheme, but I don't think I'd be without either of them.

• jadie88
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Funn! That is helpful. I ended up buying Venus, Galaxy, Carnival Watermelon, Berry Smoothie, and Silver Scrolls. I still couldn't make up my mind on Sweet Tea and Brass Lantern, so I figured I'd give it a week or so, then go back for both. :)

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

It's always interesting to see the differences in coloration between people in different climate zones. Here's my Sweet Tea:

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

This is my Brass Lantern as of today. I agree with funn. It has the most color changes. Here mine is orangey. It will go brass in the summer and bright, deep red in the fall.

I think you've got the right attitude, Jadie. Get 'em both!!

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Thu, May 22, 14 at 11:25

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Jadie, yep, go back and get them both! Funny enough, I pulled the trigger on Sweet Tea long before I pulled it on Brass Lantern, yet I lean more towards Brass Lantern now. Go figure.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

Jadie-I dug up a picture of my Brass Lantern from last Fall. I thought you might appreciate seeing the drastic color changes it makes. It's an even different color during summer, but I couldn't find a pic.

Sponsored