Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseblush1

New to Growing Heucheras

roseblush1
11 years ago

I bought my first heucheras this week ..Amethyst Mist, Silver Scrolls and and unnamed variety from Home Depot ... a healty looking plant. Altho' I've done some research I still have questions and am wondering if those of you who have hands on experience can give me some guidence.

First, are they deer resistant? I can't find any information about this. The ones I bought kind of have the fuzzy leaves common to plants that deer ignore, but deer often don't follow the rules.

Second, how heat tolerant are they ? I've read that some can grow in full sun, but my full sun in the mountains of northern California may be different than the full sun in, let's say the San Francisco bay area. My summer temps generally range from the mid-90s to 105 degrees with some peaks of around 110 degrees. It's unrelentingly hot for weeks at a time.

Third, The plants I purchased are horribly root bound and I had planned to pot them up into larger pots to allow them to grow a healthier root mass. Is this the right way to go ?

I can see another addiction coming on, but I think I need to learn the basics first. So far, my gardening books provide very general information. I'd really would appreciate any advice you might offer.

Smiles,

Lyn

Comments (3)