Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmfreedom

tropical fruit trees

farmfreedom
18 years ago

Who grows : star fruit , mangosteen , tamarind , monstera, durian fruit, mangos, pomellos, coco de mere , and other tropical fruits in Hawaii ? Which ones have I left out ?

Comments (2)

• leilaniguy
    18 years ago

I have star fruit, lots of monstera, no pomello, it's too wet here in the rainforest to get good fruit-too watery and bland. No mango, it's slow growing hardwood and gets very large, takes up too much space. Same with durian and mangosteen. My neighbors have a coco-de-mer, but no nuts yet. On my lot I've got coconuts, avocados, cacao, ice cream bean, tamarillo, malabar chestnut, coffee, tea, miracle friut,(a shrub) 2 kinds bananas, plantain, papaya, several type citrus, strawberry guava (an invasive pest tree, the fruit is resinous-tastes like turpentine) Ti, not really a tree, but gets 15' tall, not edible either, but used as wrapping for baked meats and fish, adds a very good flavor. Would love to have more things, but I only have an acre, much of it covered in large ohia trees I want to keep. What most people do here is swap the excess of what they have with others growing other crops so we all get some without growing everything.

• jscu
    18 years ago

Aloha. We have mangos, pumelos, figs, star fruit, coffee, papyas,guavas,pomegranites, sour sop, cherimoya, passion fruit, oranges, limes, avocado and coconuts growing in our garden. We also have some weird things that I don't know the name of - a type of cherry that has high vitamin C and also a type of peach (or at least it looks like it, but tastes kinda sour. This year we are going to try to put in mangosteen and a lemon.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor