Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesliel_gw

WANTED: It's Spring and time for the swap!

LeslieL
18 years ago

The same time and place! At the Morse General Store outside of Iowa City, and the Saturday after Memorial Day. I think we'll start at 11 am to give those who are travelling from afar time to get here. Start signing up!

Leslie

Comments (102)

• joefsolon
    17 years ago

If anyone has drumstick allium, i'd like atleast one. I love them (preferably the giant ones)

• iowgardenangel
    17 years ago

elphinstone.id like your rue. i may have water iris wtc, humminbird., anyone have milk thistle or rubeckia?? Dessa

• koszta_kid
    17 years ago

I'll see how many drum sticks I can keep from rabbits. But also bringing echinops. Have to idea lot of the plants coming up.

• kerri_m
    17 years ago

Doris - I would love some variegates Solomon Seal.

I think I have drumstick allium...

Kerri

• twin_too
    17 years ago

It looks like I'll be coming and tending to Kerri's items. If it ever warms up again, I plan to do some digging myself. But, I only want to dig what people want. So... does anybody want:

Pink balloon flowers (Platycodon grandiflorus)
    white or blue balloon flowers (campanula persicifolia)
    Phlox 'David'
    Coral Bells 'Dales Strain'
    Pineapple sage
    Artemisia 'Oriental Limelight'
    Campanula 'Elizabeth' s-p-r-e-a-d-s
    Hardy Geranium 'magnificum' (purple)
    Hardy Geranium (? - purple but NOT Johnson's Blue)
    Hardy Geranium 'Biokova' (white)
    Siberian Iris 'Snow Queen'
    Hosta 'Sum and Substance'
    Dwarf Iris 'Dark Vader'
    (Pink) Evening Primrose
    (Yellow) Missouri Primrose
    Ajuga 'Chocolate Chip'
    PERSICARIA virginiana 'Lance Corporal'(Painters Palette, also have plain white)
    Sedum (tall with lavendar blooms or short with yellow)
    bleeding heart (pink or white)
    Virginia Bluebells
    Feverfew
    Sweet Woodruff
    1 Brunnera 'Hadspen Cream'
    Columbine (white, purple, native, 'William Guiness')
    Other Hostas??

I would love to have:
    Lilac - Sensation and/or yellow
    Dutchman's Breetches
    Dark Purple and/or Burgundy Irises
    Hosta 'Choo Choo Train'
    Coral Bell 'Venus'
    Other hostas I don't have
    Short ornamental grasses

-Pam

• joefsolon
    17 years ago

Hey pam, i would like pink and white bleeding heart. I also have some dutchman's breeches.

• kerri_m
    17 years ago

Does anyone have any Pandora's Box hosta they can swap for something on my list?

• iowgardenangel
    17 years ago

hi twin too, id like some blue balloon flowers, dales strain coral bell and sum n substance hosta , i have sensation lilac, grasses and i have hydrangea toooo. and more.. any one want peony's ? Dessa

• iris321
    17 years ago

Hi Twin 2, I'd like pineapple mint
    &campanula persicifolia. I'll bring a variegated Solomon's seal for Kerri.One for Tina,too.I have extra asters,short purple & tall pink.
    Dessa,I'm pretty sure I have Rudbeckia goldsturm.Doris

• oldpeony
    17 years ago

I'm new to the GardenWeb and would be interested in this swap. Will be going to granddaughter's birthday party in Davenport that day at noon and would have to come early and leave by 11 am. Don't want to dig anything unless I know I would be able to swap before 11 am. I would especially like peonies, but would welcome any perennials. I have lots of iris: early brown, yellow and blue/white; starting to bloom white with purple edging, golden yellow, not yet blooming of unknown color. Also would have plenty of wild columbine, and wild lavender anemone (I think it's anemone). Would have clumps of light green sedum that blooms yellow. Would anyone be interested in any trades???

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Pam ~

I would love to have these from your list:
    1. Pineapple sage
    2. Hardy Geranium 'Biokova' (white)
    3. Siberian Iris 'Snow Queen'
    4. Hosta 'Sum and Substance'
    5. Dwarf Iris 'Dark Vader'
    6. PERSICARIA virginiana Painters Palette
    7.bleeding heart (white)
    8.Sweet Woodruff
    9.1 Brunnera 'Hadspen Cream'

I can bring you:

1. Dutchman's Breetches
    2. Dark Purple Irises
    3. Hosta 'Choo Choo Train'
    Other hostas 4. Coquette, 5. Antioch, 6. So Sweet, 7. Diamond Tiara, 8.Golden Tiara
    Short ornamental grasses 9. Strawberrys and Cream Ribbon grass

Sound good?

Does anyone have Hostas "Wide Brim", and Snow Cap" they can share? Thanks

Tina

• twin_too
    17 years ago

It looks like I've got some digging to do! ;-)

I should be able to fullfill most of the wants, but I'm not sure if I'll have enough brunnera and white bleeding heart to go around. I will get back to everyone once I get to digging and see what I have.

oldpeony, I'd like some of your white with purple trim iris. I can come early to trade with you.

-Pam

• iowgardenangel
    17 years ago

peony, i have diff peonies to trade for diff. iris, i can come early, dessa

• elphinstone
    17 years ago

Hi!
    I would trade some trumpet vine to joefsolon for some Jacob's ladder if you still have some left. I may have some white bleeding heart, too. I haven't gotten to that garden yet except to see the prize winning dandilions rearing their heads.
    I'll bring the globe thistle, the rue and I just found some malva that I potted up yesterday.
    How do you get your wisteria to reproduce? Mine is sure pretty but I never get any seedlings. I'm also looking for Sweet Anne, I opened my package of seeds and promptly dropped all of them on the lawn.
    Elphinstone (actually it is Jo) but I kind of like the name Elphinstone, it is an old family name.

• LeslieL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello All! I feel like I am missing so much here! As many of you may have seen on the news this past weekend there was a house in Morse next to our store that caught fire and burned. Thank God no one was home. The family, who are dear friends of my husband's and mine lost everything. Their insurance agent has been out and already taken care of their claim, thank goodness they had good insurance! But Stacy is going to have to move her plants from around the house in order to save them from the demolition that is just around the corner.
    We are going to dig her a bed where she can store her plants until their new house is finished, and will be moving many things. Unfortunately many things were lost to heat and foam and ladders, etc... If any of you could find it in your hearts to bring her a special plant I would be ever so grateful. I will tuck them in her bed, and save them to be transplanted after the new house is up. She loves clematis, roses, and daylilies. Thanks in advance!
    Leslie
    ps. I can open the doors to the store at 10 am for early trading, but will many things going on that day besides the swap, so please no earlier than that. Sorry.

• elphinstone
    17 years ago

I'll bring something from my garden for Stacy. What a terrible thing to happen! What else are they needing? I have some extra funiture,etc. Please e-mail me and let me know.
    Elphinstone

• iowgardenangel
    17 years ago

i have extras including clematis. ill bring. Dessa

• LeslieL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the offer of furniture Jo! It's very generous. Unfortunately right now there is nowhere to put it until about mid August. They are staying with his folks and I know quarters are a bit cramped right now to say the least.
    Right after the fire happened she tried to give me all the plants that weren't destroyed. I reassured her that she would again have a beautiful garden. So, I think plants will make her very happy. Again, thanks for your generosity, and you too Dessa!

• twin_too
    17 years ago

I saw the fire on the news and thought about you right away Leslie! I know all too well about the casualties of fire! When they get settled into a new place, she's welcome to anything in my garden. In the meantime, I will bring her something nice to the swap.

-Pam

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

I need to ask a huge favor. Except for Joe, Jay, lesliel, and Mary, I am having a difficult time trying to figure who gets what. Could you please post what I am to bring you if you are not on the above list? I would appreciate that very much!

Looking forward to seeing all of you very soon!
    Tina

• iowgardenangel
    17 years ago

ok so far i have grapes and jenny robin perennial for JAY for iris diff colors. JOe gets forsythia for barberry. i have yellow canna for maude and some plant trYS,I have for Koszta , trumpet vine for poached eggs.I wanted ballon flowers coral bell d strain TWIN TOO, for which i had sensation lilac and grasses. iris is giving me white lilac for?? i have hops, h sucle, to tina for?? i have some peonies for oldpeony for diff iris. did i miss any one? il have extra things also, Dessa

• koszta_kid
    17 years ago

I still have to ID some of the plants I need to divide. But getting some ready to today happen to have this Am off.

• oldpeony
    17 years ago

Hi from the new gal!
    Dessa: bringing peonies and maybe a clematis for iris and herb books
    Pam: bringing white bell flower, rosea coreopsis, purple Monarda, white iris, mum, pastel purple asters for fernleaf peony and iris
    Mary: pink Texas sage, phlox of sheep, pink geranium, ?white butterfly ginger for garden-themed cards and ?
    Tina: hopefully we will make a trade

I don't have many plants, but will try to bring other garden related things to trade with other people. Does anyone need 2-yr. blue flax? I planted them in a meadow garden and there is lots of flax and also lots of an orange cluster flower that I don't know what it is. Can't wait to meet you all.

• twin_too
    17 years ago

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to check in. I have everyone's wants, I just have to finish digging them up. ;-) I've added Hosta 'Gingko Craig' to the list of stuff I'm bringing. I'm sure I'll be adding more, if I don't run out of time!

-Pam

• iris321
    17 years ago

I was bringing a nice large potted Forsythia for Joe.I see someone else is bringing him one,so maybe it is still available.I'm bringing a hydrangea for Leslie. A white lilac for Dessa.I think there will be another white lilac.Have purple short asters.,Purple Dome Tall pink asters.Honeysong Pink. pink coneflower.Does anyone have a single flowered peony?I really want one.I like coleus starts,if ones I don't have. I will bring variegated Solomons Seal.Have Boltonia Snowbank.Blue Mirror or Blue Butterfly Delphinium.Forget which 1.
    Doris

• iowgardenangel
    17 years ago

oh i was getting globe thistle and rue from someone too???? and im adding more jenny ragged robin perennial and pink sea thrift,and red spotted dianthus perrennial.to list im bringing Dessa

• elphinstone
    17 years ago

Will send complete list of trades after work, running late this morning.
    Jo

• iowgardenangel
    17 years ago

maude, im bringing you big pot or pots plus trays and yellow canna, IRIS i may have single , i think my pink with yellow center is .if you did have rudbeckia, still want some. i did make list, im bringing extra also GAUra, Tequila sunrise coriopsis, jenny ragged robin,rain sage,yellow flag water iris.pink sea thrift, red 2tone dianthus hardy, 1 japicona peris[ not a good speller] 1 hy drangea.pincushion flower, TWIN too, had sun n substance hosta, blue balloon flower and i have sensation lilac and grass, also extra sensation strts.i have clematis, diff kinds.i have a honeycucle for Tina and 2 others one yellow one red white n yellow.EPLHINSTONE, i wanted your rue and globe thistle, what did you want?? Dessa

• elphinstone
    17 years ago

Hello,
    I am bringing :
    White mini rose for Jay
    Mountain Bluet-several, am still digging
    Globe thistle
    Kerria
    Two very small disease resistant elms
    Tulip tree starts, again very small
    Single red peony
    Small red cedar tree
    Hardy forget me nots
    Some ferns-assorted varieties
    White bleeding heart
    Pink fern leaf bleeding heart
    Yellow violet(s?)
    Malva
    Rue
    Have herbs, if anyone wants them:
    Sage
    Taragon
    Oregano
    Golden margram
    Thyme
    Winter savory

Trumpet vines(s)
    Gardening books
    I may have single red peony
    Anything else I can find

I'm still looking and digging. I want the magenta violets, please, and Jacobs Ladder.
    See you all soon,
    Jo

• twin_too
    17 years ago

Ooh, Ooh, I want Tequila Sunrise Coreopsis! Mine got dug up by the snow plow this winter - serious bummer! I'm also bringing Krossa Regal hosta. Maybe an astilbe, don't know the color, and some white perennial phlox 'David'. We'll see what all I have time to dig.

Anybody want some columbine 'William Guines'? I have some that Have to be dug up.

-Pam

• joefsolon
    17 years ago

These are my trades (the ones with the dash are the plants i'm bringing for that person:
    Doris: -Dark purple iris, light purple iris,
    For: Lilac, forsythia
    Dessa: -Barberry
    For: Forsythia,
    Tina: -Dark purple, burgundy irises, Jack in the pulpit, JacobÂs ladder, Walk on me, Sedums
    Elphinstone:
    -JacobÂs ladder
    For: Trumpet Vine
    Pam: -DutchmanÂs Breeches
    For: Bleeding Hearts
    These are plants i said i would bring but, sorry to say, they died in their pot (except for passion vine which is not up yet):
    - Passion vine
    - Wisteria
    Hope to see you all there and IT'S GETTING CLOSE!!!!

• joefsolon
    17 years ago

Here's pics of the plants i'm bringing;
    The order of pictures is:
    Sedum, Sedum, Walk on me, Yellow sedum, Jacob's ladder, Barberry, Hepatica, Mums (don't know color), Irises, Phlox, Phlox, Hardy Prickly Pear Cactus, Some type of fern, Jack-in-the-pulpit, and Maidenhair fern.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swap plants

• iowgardenangel
    17 years ago

ok Twin too, t sunrise varigated coriopsis is yours. i might have one more besides that one ill see .also adding choc. mint, lime mint applemint, Dessa

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

If there happens to be another Tequila Sunrise Coreopsis, I would love to trade for it. I lost mine over the winter, don't know why, but I lost all of my coreopsis plants :-(.

Let me see if I have this right, the swap is NOT tomorrow, but a WEEK from tomorrow......right? Hope so, LoL.

See ya'll soon,
    Tina

• iowgardenangel
    17 years ago

tina ,its a week from sat. in a hurry??? me too. LOL anyway, i have other coriopsis too, i think one is moonbeam and other mouse ears so , i should have something.I always rake my leaves over everything in fall. Joe, my passion vine doesnt come up sometimes till later in june, i always wonder did it make it then , there it is, for 4 yrs now. it is sheltered by house. Dessa

• LeslieL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just an FYI. It used to be that when a post on the GW reached 100 enteries it would get archived. And we seem to be getting dangerously close to 100! I don't know if that is still the case, BUT just to be on the safe side I suggest to anyone who posted a list of swaps that they save it on their computer also just in case! The responses have been overwhelming this year so it looks like it's going to be a great swap!
    Leslie

• paws4pets
    17 years ago

I can't make it next weekend. I really wanted too. I have the Farmers Market Sat morning and have to get ready for the Pigeon Clubs Flea Market in Burlington. Have done really well at them. Being currently unemployed it will come in handy. Is there ever a Swap in the Fall? Looking forward to this for awhile, so disappointed. Have a great time all!!
    Paws

• oldpeony
    17 years ago

I guess I better find out where the swap is located since it's my first year and I dont know. I'm bringing quite a few iris, double pink columbine, herb books, and some unrelated items to trade (in addition to those I've already prearranged a trade with). Really looking forward to it. Someone please post the location!!

• iowgardenangel
    17 years ago

hi all , think im already, JOE, forsythia for barberry, MAUDE, im bringing 1-2 big pots , trays and yellow canna,TINA , hops, trumpet, honeysucle vine. ELPHINSTONE, i want globe thistle, and rue , you want???? TWIN TOO, I wanted balloon flower, sumnsubstance hosta,i have grass,and t sunrise coriopsis,some for Iris too for the white LILac. Old PEONY, i have a clematis, and peonies, for Iris's and herb books. JAY, i have your jenny robin ragged, a hosta, grapes. a jap.peris, bush neat pink flowers itll have. for diff color Iris. ive mentioned above some extras im bringing, plus maybe 1-2 dapple willow[varigated] and some rose of sharon,and asst coriopsis.and clematis.oh my I need a truck LOL.I will trade for gardening books also, more i can read on tthe better, evryone thinks i know it all at Lowes LOL so far ive fooled em...... well i do TRY to keep up. see you all sat. if somthing spec, you want email me. I do have tropicals here too. Dessa

• twin_too
    17 years ago

Dessa, were you still going to bring the sensation lilac?

oldpeony, I will explain how to get to Morse. Take I-80 to exit 246. This is Highway 1. Head North for about 3 1/2 miles until you see the Morse sign. Turn right onto Morse Rd. It will be a couple of miles down on the left. It's the Old Morse Store. Hopefully, we will already be there getting ready. What time will you be there?

-Pam

• iowgardenangel
    17 years ago

oops yes TWIN TOO i do have your sensation lilac. im also adding to list im bringing, a dapple willow bush/tree its varigated white pink n green. DEssa

• LeslieL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay! Rain or shine, the swap is tomorrow! See everyone there!
    Leslie

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Dessa ~

I would LOVE the dappled willow. I seen one at Lows this week and thought it was so beautiful. If you happen to find an extra T. coreopsis and grapes, I would love those as well.
    If anyone needs to divide any peonies, I am looking for quite a few of them for a hedge.
    Looking forward to seeing ya'll.

Tina

• iowgardenangel
    17 years ago

well this is late but if any one checks in and has it im looking for cornflowers... thanks see all tomorrow, Dessa

• iowgardenangel
    17 years ago

THANK YOU LESLIE, for a GREAT swap, has a wonderful time, Dessa

• elphinstone
    17 years ago

Thank You!!
    To all of my new friends,I can not begin to tell you what a fantastic experience my first swap was yesterday. I can't wait to get the new plants in ground.
    Where do you "hang out" on gardenweb.com when you aren't busy getting ready for the swap, I would like to stay in touch as much as possible.
    Thank you again, what a pleasure you provide.
    Jo

• Maude_IA
    17 years ago

Thanks for another great swap, Leslie!
    I arrived home as the parade in Washington was winding down, and people at our house were amazed at the variety and number of neat plants I unloaded. "You mean they just gave you THAT?!"
    I think we might have another new face or two at the next swap (they're jealous ; >)

Thanks again!

• oldpeony
    17 years ago

Just wanted everyone to know I had a great time at the swap. Thank you Leslie for hosting and Dessa, I would love to come to another one this fall. I worried about the plants in the trunk and back seat of my car because they sat there all night Saturday while I visited my daughter in Davenport. But Sunday morning I headed home and felt much better when I saw they weren't drooping! Sunday night we planted a few things in my prairie area, a few things in my only shaded area, and the rest just got planted in rows at the end of our large vegetable garden. My husband groaned a bit and said my flowers were beginning to take over his veggies, but he like the flowers too. I hope you were all happy with my trades.........hope to have more plants by next year. Keep in touch. Ruth

• joefsolon
    17 years ago

Hello everyone. It was a great swap. Thanks to Leslie and any one else who helped arrange this. It was my first swap as well and i was amazed at how many plants i took home! I thought i'd come home with the same amount or less that i brought, but i filled up a whole fourth of my garage. I hope all of the plants i gave to people are doing all right, if not, just tell me and i'll bring a new one at the next swap. When is it, any ways?? I don't have ALL of the plants planted yet because i'm in the process of weeding a 20x20 ft flower garden and i don't want to plant the plant in weeds. We're also going to till up another 100 square feet of space, so i'm waiting for that. I planted all of the irises, though. ALL beautiful colors. I mowed and tilled up a patch in the side of the woods. I made a border of skinny logs and a path through the middle. In the back,(as the "foundation", or "strong point" of the garden) i planted a back row of almost black irises, and like 5 more rows of iris colors. It will look really neat when they all bloom at once. i'll just have to wait till next year to see the colors, then transplant them. Great swap. thanks to everyone and have a happy summer!
    Joe F.

• twin_too
    17 years ago

Like usual, I had a wonderful time at the swap! It was good to see so many new faces! And, believe it or not, I didn't have to drag my son out, he WANTED to come and help!

I still don't have everything planted, but I am taking care of them! And, Tony is taking care of "his" plant. I am very excited about the things that I got, I am hoping to go to the fall swap.

-Pam

Sponsored