Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hispoesis

impatiens mystery

hispoesis
11 years ago

I have had masses of impatiens all summer. Every year they just spring up, "volunteers" in all colors. Suddenly about two weeks ago, I only have bare stems with a few leaves at the top and here and there a single blossom! Huge plants are only bare stems! What is most odd is that I can see no fallen leaves! What happened to them? Could it be downy mildew (read about on this Forum). We have have had a wet, humid Spring. I live in Central Virginia.

Thanks very much!

Comments (5)

• Violetvamp
    11 years ago

Sounds like what happened to mine!!I live in Portsmouth VA.next to Norfolk VA.I hope mine did this because of the wet soil and not mildew!See my post on drowning impatiens...

• hispoesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much, Violetvamp. It's nice to know my experience is not unique! Where do I find your post on drowning impatiens. I am new to this site.
    Thanks.

• Violetvamp
    11 years ago

Hispoesis,My post titled "Drowning Impatiens" is on the Forum a few posts above yours.I went out to look and I did find some downy mildew on some potted impatiens (which are also now dying)!!There is a good article on the post on this forum titled "Sick Impatiences"(spelling is wrong).Scroll down and read the comments and you will see one with a link called "Downy mildew".Click on that and it takes you to an informative article on the impatiens problem!!By the way what does "hispoesis" mean?

• mistascott
    11 years ago

I haven't seen a healthy looking impatiens (walleriana) plant in my area for a couple months. Downy mildew appears to be pretty widespread.

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

That's awful about the disease epidemic of downy mildew.

I've read where incorporating vermicompost into the potting medium helps boost immunity to several plant diseases. I wonder if it would be effective against this disease?

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths