hosenemesis

Rare Treat (pics)

hosenemesis

I don't grow Rare Treat, but I grow Classic Look, a similar plicata. I think Rare Treat may be even lovelier. Here it is at Matilija Nursery this last April 12:

And a clump on the San Fernando Valley Garden Tour on April 10:

Here is a clump of Classic Look from several years ago to compare:

{{gwi:503062}}

And a close-up:

I think both are beautiful. Classic Look has nicely flared falls. Rare Treat seems to have more ruffles, and that pretty pattern on the purple edges. Both are very clean and the contrast is great between the white and the blue-purple. The standards of both seem to glow in the right light. I don't know how prolific Rare Treat is, but once it gets going, Classic Look is a great performer, and it seems to do better in cold climates, according to some growers.

Renee

• Nancy

I have both of these, & would have a hard time choosing between them. Rare treat is newer, but seems to be growing nicely.

• marricgardens

I think I like Rare Treat. It an come live in my garden any time!

• gottagarden

Gorgeous!

• bear_with_me

Admiring these.... Spring is so far away! I have American Classic, variation on the theme. Rare Treat looks like it has finer stitching and paler blue. Beautiful.