Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maple_grove_cr

Brand of T5 tubes

maple_grove_gw
11 years ago

I need to replace some 4 ft. T5 tubes. Is there a difference in performance between the Hydrofarm and Sunleaves Optilume Grow tubes? Both are 54 W and are described as 6500 K, but the Hydrofarm bulb is supposed to mimic the spectrum of daylight, whereas Sunleaves states it's optimized for plant growth. If that's true, Sunleaves sounds like the better one...If anyone has experience with these bulbs I'd love to know if you think there's really a difference here.

Comments (4)

• overdrive
    11 years ago

i use a PAR meter to evaluate the light - this gives me a measure of photosynthetic active numbers of photons/unit-area/second. sounds like you are looking at lamps that are "marketed" for growing, and thus the premium price. I find that regular T5 that is used for commercial lighting, such as a supermarket - warehouse - factory - etc. works 100% just as well as any specialty type lamps.
    for example: this $3 lamp will work perfectly:
    It is made by Maxlite, and your plants will grow perfectly. Don't worry, I actually have a PAR meter, and I grow all kinds of plants indoors, with a lamp that is exactly like it, except I use a T8 by the same make. 5000K gives plenty of blue: my plants are short, stocky, and extremely healthy! Erin Shine only sells by the case, so it is 75$ plus shipping. Another place to buy T5 is from businesslights dot com, or gladiator lighting. sometimes the shipping can be a bit high so shop around.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to lamp

• overdrive
    11 years ago

so, i find the actual brand does not matter. just look at the numbers of lumens, and make your purchase based on that, and do not look at any lamp costing more than $3. (or so).

• overdrive
    11 years ago

so, i find the actual brand does not matter. just look at the numbers of lumens, and make your purchase based on that, and do not look at any lamp costing more than $3. (or so).
    Your hydrofarm lamp costing $7 will work exactly the same as the $3 Maxlite.

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the link...very helpful.