Software
Houzz Logo Print
koganroach

Do these pillows match?

14 years ago
Trying to bring some color into our room! These are great, high quality down pillows...but they didn't have 2 matching....so I bought an assortment. Do they work together? Or just a couple together? Would love thoughts!

Comments (42)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    is there mauve anywhere in the room? your walls seem to be beige...i dont know whats on the floor or windows....if you want to layer a few differnt prints, the colors should work together...i would skip the blue and maybe swich the long mauve one for someting a bit more textured to add interest...but the other three actuall work well together..
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    The two geometric patterns don't seem to work together, not enough of the same colours to tie them together..Rather than just not use it try recovering it. Pull colour from whichever one that you would like to keep. My suggestion to bring more colour into this arrangement is recover the blue one..The other pillow works better with the other two.Green would work well plus it will go nicely with your headboard..
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    No they do not go together. You need something which ties all the colors together and that can be tricky... Here are some pillows which could coordinate with your 2 geometric pillows...


    [houzz=
    Multicolored Ikat Toss Pillow · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Fuchsia Contemporary Throw Pillow · More Info
    ][houzz=][houzz=][houzz=
    Decorative Designer Indoor / Outdoor, Suzani Pillow Cover By Loubella1 · More Info
    ]

    Hope this helps...
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Well, the problem is more not having a pair of something, but you knew that. I can see where you were going with this and you took a chance in the hopes there would be enough mauve to pull everyone together. The eye needs to rest somewhere and unfortunately in this instance, that is not possible. It is measuring one geometric next to the other one, and is also attempting to understand the blue in a single pillow. I would suggest you find a pair of something and re-integrate what you can. You may have to give up a pillow or two in the process, but that is the price you pay when you go against your better instincts. I have to give you credit for really trying on this. Just take your lumps and move forward. We all have our mistakes but we don't live with them. As I said, just take your lumps and see if you have other places where some of your pillows can land. Good luck. Be proud of yourself for trying a different drumbeat. Also, I would like to add, if you are willing to stick with this and see it all the way through, you will find from your mistakes there will come some very unexpected results. :)
  • 14 years ago
    Thank you all so much for the input! Sounds like I just went in the wrong directions....and since tags are still on everything, I'll probably start from scratch. Thank you thank you thank you!!!
  • 14 years ago
    This quick tutorial from Brian Patrick Flynn has some great pointers on mixing patterns: https://www.houzz.com/magazine/decorating-secrets-how-to-layer-patterns-right-stsetivw-vs~369483
  • 14 years ago
    I think the beige one with the round orange design and the rectangular one in front work the best together. The one in the middle with stripes doesn't belong at all. It's something about the patterns you picked that doesn't work.
  • 14 years ago
    @koganroach - I bet you if you tried again after reading through these posts that you'd come out with a better combination. Why not try it again. You can always return them! Good luck!
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Take the middle blue striped one away and replace it with another solid in an eggplant. Material could have a little texture to it.

    The long pillow in the very front is a little plain. Maybe jazz it up with a tassel added to each corner.
  • 14 years ago
    YOU NED MOORE PILLOWS TO SHOW OFF YOUR ACCENT PILLOWS LOOSE THE DART PILLOW DON'T. GO WITH THE REST! TRY TWO KING, QUEEN. AND STAND PILLOWS TO GO BEHIND THE ACCENTS ONE TO GIVE THE SOME SHOW OFF POWER! MAKE THE BED COVERS SMOOTH AND NEAT! HOTEL STYLE !AFTER THIS IS YOUR PLACE OF PEACE!
  • 14 years ago
    ADD A PICTURE OVER YOUR BED!
  • 14 years ago
    DARK LOL
  • 14 years ago
    Love the idea of colored king and standard pillows to add to it. And yes - bed usually made nicely and hotel-like....just need to get this pillow thing done...as for something above the bed.....that's a while other topic! I'm so not enjoying decorating this house - andnitsbusually my favorite thing to do! Nothing I try works!! Here's the expensive sofa I just bought for our living room. Think it looks weird....and a 15% restocking fee to return (nearly $800!). But power recliners that are sooooo comfy. Space is just so funky!!
  • 14 years ago
    suck up the restock fee on the sofa. It looks a bit dated. Try Mitchell Gold bob williams they have wonderful modern & ecclectic pieces. If you can't swing the price at least you can get a good idea of something more modern. Also go to Z GALLERIE, they have inexpensive sofa's that are great looking.
  • 14 years ago
    Hi, I would go with one of the striped pillow and find 2 solid pillows that match one of the colors in the stripes. Let's say you pick the blue, I would either pick the blue or green for 2solid pillows and then use that color elsewhere in the room, mabe a blue throw on the end of the bed and some blue asessories around the room.
  • 14 years ago
    Maybe you could experiment with dropping the blue one and playing up the green and maroon theme? What you could possibly do if you are reluctant to buy new cushion covers is go hunting at fabric stores for swatches that match and sew them yourself. Cushion covers are really easy to sew! That's what I do here in Mumbai because we have such incredible fabric so easily available. (We also have tailors who sew them in a flash.) It is really the cheapest and most immediate way of changing the look of the room or adding those bursts of colour. I tried to photoshop your pic to get some shades that worked together. I am sure you will be able to do much better once you have worked out what colours you want to work with. Another suggestion is a throw at the bottom of the bed to emphasize your main colour (that unifies all the cushions.)
  • 14 years ago
    Ooops, I have no idea how to attach a pic to this message ... it does not seem to happen in the normal fashion. But it's the last pic on my idea book if you would like to see it. I will send you an invite.
  • 14 years ago
    REMOVE THE BLUE STRIPE PILLOW, #1 RULE OF DECORATING...GROUPS OF 3 HAVE MORE HARMONY.
  • 14 years ago
    Your living roon just needs lights . I would put a library table with a lamp, behind the couch, a table at the side with a lamp, move out that tall lamp, add bright pillows and a picture and a chair , table and lamp next to the right side of your fireplace. Wish I was your neighbor so I could help you
  • 14 years ago
    I haven't read all the comments, but if you remove the middle pillow the other three will work together perfectly. Replace it with another solid. Use the zig-zag pillow on the end and find a pillow with one if those colors. The darker leaf green would tie them all together.

    You may want to try 2 Euro style pillows with white shams (so they match your bedding) then place your regular bed pillows in front of them and three throw pillows in front of the bed pillows then one small pillow in the very front. Your lumbar pillow would be perfect.

    See photos for examples of a well made bed.
  • 14 years ago
    I'm pretty much of the school of thought that you can pretty much lump any throw pillows together that you want (w/a very few exclusions). The point is, it's up to YOU if they look good together! If they make you happy, keep them. We all have our own style, and that's why every room, house, wall, or bed of pillows on this site is unique!

    Here's *my* own thought on them, should you decide to keep them together: I would put the two striped pillows on the outside, with the white pillow inside (stripe, white, stripe). Then I would put the rectangular pillow in front, just like it is.

    If you're worried about the color scheme, *maybe* replace or recover the blue-toned pillow ... or, add another teeny pillow in front of or next to the solid mauve pillow that has blue in it, to bring the color in. But again, if you like it how it is, that's all that matters. Have fun!
  • 14 years ago
    I go alright but the way the bed is made all looks sloppy to me.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    The blue pillow does not go with the other 3. I would decide which color in the mauve geometric pillow you are trying to bring into the room as your accent color. . The colors are not the only problem. You also need a different variety of sizes. Purchase 2 large pillows or Euros in your main accent color as a back drop and then throw the existing pillows in front.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    The first one from left doesnt match, but the other three together is a good combination, Contemprary.
  • 14 years ago
    As far as the pillows go I'd get rid of the blue and select a solid colored one in one of the colors that would coordinate with the other two patterned pillows. You need to make sure you also have some of these colors in the room. As far as your living room furniture what seems to be missing is tables, lamps, wall art,etc.. also I think a rug with more color and design in it would help a lot. A large picture over the couch with some of the colors of the rug in it would pull it a lot more together. It looks like you just plunked the couch down there. The room looks unfinished. I like the idea above about a sofa table behind the back of couch on the kitchen side and definitely an end table with a lamp on the other end. A few throw pillows in the curve of the middle of the couch would look good. It just all looks a little bare. I think if you just add a few things you might like your couch better.
  • 14 years ago
    I very much agree with thegriers and also suggest you turn the ottoman longways down the room. I can tell you are trying so hard and feel your frustration. If you face restock fees to return the lounge, maybe it might be an idea to check out the cost of hiring a stylist to advise you, accessorising is really all you need.
  • 14 years ago
    I would just remove the blue striped one. The other three look great together. Three's a charm with groupings of most anything.
  • 14 years ago
    Casual pillow looks like yours (lovely, by the way) look best & more interesting when done in "threes" or odd numbers, & in varying sizes. I would simply omit one of the striped pillows to lessen pattern redundancy. Probably the navy & blue. Although it ties nicely into your headboard, it looks out of place with the other colors. (Unless you have other blues in the room? Then do keep it.) Soft beiges, tans & pinks are nice in bedrooms because they're calming. But, if you're a minimalist & appreciate simple, but dramatic, modern statements - use just two pillows. Less is more. The two striped together, only, would look marvelous. Or, the pink/green stripe w/ the circle pattern. Last tip, sew or fabric glue an applique, ribbon, fringe, beads, small piece of felt/ fabric, or stencil paint the solid beige lumbar pillow to tie it into the others. It offers good size contrast & the solid color does balance the other three patterns nicely. But a simple "zipping up" could also make it a little more interesting as well.
  • 14 years ago
    look around your room and find your focal point and pull colors from that ,,,maybe from a rug or large picture and then go with the layering look like the picture from janishill showed...use different patterens but stay within the same color scheme
  • 14 years ago
    If you are frustrated and not having fun, definitely go ahead and consider hiring a consultant. It is money well spent and you sleep better. Just pull some pics together of what you like before you call. And check out their portfolios to make sure they jibe with you. The more organized you are at the start the less you'll pay. I have each gone this route a couple of times. It saves time, money and frustration in the long run because I tend to lose the big picture when working with so many details. Or find a store where you love their stuff and use their designer. My sister in law had fantastic success that way. You will get there. It will all come together.
  • 14 years ago
    I think the rectangular pillow color is throwing your arrangement off. To keep the cost of your experimentation down, I'd hunt for some swatches and throw them alongside your current combination and see what works best and then try to find two pillows that mimic those swatches. Try substituting a navy blue, dark cranberry or very deep, deep gold for the mauve (?) rectangular pillow (the darkest color in either of the geometric, horizontal patterned pillows) to see how it looks. A very deep gold (that looks like a common color between your two striped pillows?) may work well if your paint color in the room is less on the mauve side. Also throw one more pillow on, maybe a slightly different size, shape, texture, or organic pattern, for an uneven number. Remember too, you can tip one of the horizontal pillows so that it becomes vertical to see if it might add more interest to your arrangement. The fun is in the hunt and the satisfaction when you know you've found something that works well.
  • 14 years ago
    If you want to keep the sectional, I would move it closer to the television and visually divide the space in two. add a wide sofa table behind the sectional, remove the grouping from in front of the tv and make that grouping facing the kitchen, you may add a desk against the full wall,( move the planters somewhere else as the plants will die there there is no natural light going in that spot ), maybe, or move what is next to it, down the wall instead.( looks like a china cabinet ?) Try the layout without a rug first , I would add white California shutters to the window and move the floor lamp to the corner then add an end table with a table lamp on it, beside the sofa. I would consider a cow rug or a Zebra skin rug in front of sofa and tv for visual interest. A couple of pictures (or more depending on the size) above the sofa. For the half wall, you need a narrow and long piece of furniture , dresser or console add a few accessories on it and end table, about 3 colorful cushions in the rounded corner of the sofa and I think you would be happy with the result. good luck.
  • 14 years ago
    You guys are better than any designer I've worked with!! Thank you all so much for giving me your thoughts/input! Best site EVER!!
  • 14 years ago
    I think your living room with the sectional will be fine when you finish it off.

    I would replace the ceiling light over the sectional with a hanging drum fixture or a great modern style ceiling fan.

    Try your floor lamp on top of the shorter of the two tables shown behind your sofa. That will almost make it an sculptural art piece, while it also will help with the lighting. Then, where that lamp was, add a simple end table topped with another lamp.

    Add soft cream colored stationery panels to your windows. Hang on great pole, high and wide. This would be a great place to pay for a designer's expertise! Windows can make or break your room. She/he can help with material selection and bring in some coordinating pillows.

    Try pulling your sectional out just slightly away from that wall. Then give the rug a good angling underneath. Right now it is all lined up too darn straight and makes the room seem so long!

    Head to World Market or Pier One and shop for a rectangular woven basket/tray for the top of your ottoman. Use that to hold some magazines. Need to add a little life here! Also, while there check out some great metal wall hanging for over your fireplace.

    The small brown chair in front of the fireplace looks a little lost. Try placing it in the corner by the window. It needs a table, at least next to it. But it might work where it is. Can't tell from this angle.

    Hang in, it will be great!
  • 14 years ago
    No, they don't. Trust you eye and sense of balance.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Pull the blue one out and you're good to go!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I have added an image in the colour combination I am thinking you may be after..As you can see in the picture even though the design combinations are different the colours all work nicely together..
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    You could use a few repeats with your cushions, such as 2 or 3 of a kind... & more repeats of the same size. Generally speaking, display larger ones in back, medium ones next, smaller ones in front. See my photos below for inspiration where the duvets provide the basic color direction for the cushions.

    Photo 1: Notice the cushions with a tan-brown background. There is no color like it in the duvet, but I knew it would work since the color scheme needed some contrast and there are splashes of a similar tan color in the art & headboard and a browner tone in the flooring. These cushions also had a bit of sheen to them, so they'd look more tan or more brown depending on the viewing angle.

    Photo 2: I repeated 3 cushions here and used a monochromatic color scheme except for one stand out accent color, which I also used sparingly in the room's accessories. Notice the play of varied fabrics & textures, shiny & matte, satin & sheer, yet it all works beautifully.

    Hope this helps.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Check here for more Indian style cushions : http://www.mogulinterior.com/floor-cushion-covers.html
  • 9 years ago

    They look hideous. Start over.