Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikesc_gw

Dykes?

mikesc
11 years ago

Isn't the Dykes Medal usually announced in mid-July? Anyone have any ideas about this year's winner?

Mike

Comments (6)

• irisrover
    11 years ago

The voting deadline was changed for August 1. Winners probably won't be announced until after August 10. Likely to be between Florentine Silk and That's All Folks, with the former the favorite.

• mikesc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Florentine Silk has never done a thing for me here in SC Zone 8!

Mike

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I have heard that a lot- but it appears that many people vote based on prettiness rather than garden-worthiness, despite the rules. I think 'That's All Folks!" is spectacular. The form of the iris is always good too. It performs well here in Southern California. I have not heard that about Florentine Silk. But it sure is pretty!

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

Florentine Silk didn't look very happy at Blue J's, either, at least not the one that I noticed. I had to look up That's All Folks!, and it is really something. Well, we'll have to wait and see. We can always "vote with our pocketbooks", as they say.

• mikesc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, the weird thing is that both FS's parents grew reasonably well for me. I don't have "That's All Folks," but Mr Maryott is such a nice guy (have dealt w/ him re: daylilies) that it would be nice to see him win a Dykes!

Mike

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

Based on performance in my garden, more than 75% of Dykes medal winners since 1960 should not be awarded ANY medal, let alone Dykes. The list of varietes that did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING before dying is impressively long. Just to mention a few: New Moon, Kilt Lilt, Mystique. Terrible rotters: Jesse's song, Silverado, Mary Frances. The list of performers is pretty short: Dusky Challenger, Song of Norway, Stepping out, Amethyst Flame, Victoria Falls, Before the storm.