Software
Houzz Logo Print
rubycs

Planting Question

15 years ago

I just placed my first iris order at Schreiner's Garden.

I live in Georgia-zone 8A. I asked for them to be shipped in September. Would it be to warm to plant them at that time? I am also still confused about planting them. I read somewhere that in hot climates the rhizomes should be covered with 1 inch of soil and elsewhere that one-third of the rhizome should be exposed.

Comments (6)

  • 15 years ago

    Hi Ruby4,

    You can store the rhizomes in a dark cool place for some time. I usually dig my rhizomes in July, trim back the leaves to 4"-6", brush off the dirt and store them in a box (no plastic) in a cool, dry place. In Oct/Nov I replant them.

    Sue

  • 15 years ago

    Thanks svanessa

  • 15 years ago

    I have never read that the rhizomes should be covered in hot climates. I live in Southern California, and I leave the top of the rhizome exposed.
    Renee

  • 15 years ago

    I'm also in HOT SoCal and my rhizomes are only half buried. Where ever you read they should be buried 1" in hot areas was wrong. You will rot the rhizome if buried too deep.

  • 15 years ago

    I think that there are a lot of considerations as to how deep to plant. I live in a place that is cold and sometimes dry and windy in the winter. I also have soil that drains well. I have found that planting new rhizomes an inch deep helps them not get frost heave and they just do better in general. By the next year the rhizomes have come up and continue to crawl across the top of the soil. I think what all the posters have said so far would really be the better advice for the original poster, since their zones and maybe climate are more similar to the OP than mine. I was adding this just for those from a cold place who might be reading this later.

  • 15 years ago

    Thank you for responding to my post. I got the info from Schreiner's site about planting depth.

    "Iris should be planted so the tops of the rhizomes are exposed and the roots are spread out facing downward in the soil. In very light soils or in extremely hot climates, covering the rhizome with 1 inch of soil may be desirable. Firm the soil around each rhizome and then water to help settle the soil. A common mistake is to plant Iris too deeply."

    I am also a little disappointed in Schreiner"s after reading such great reviews I received my order this wkd. instead of in September when I requested for it to be delivered. the CS rep told me I could store them for no longer than 3 weeks before planting them. I have not prepared a bed for them yet and it is really too hot to do it now.

Sponsored