Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anna_lisa_gw

cucumber

anna_lisa
15 years ago

has anyone planted cucumber under the light and have they grown to full size and what do they taste like?

Comments (5)

• tflinton
    15 years ago

i have, taste fine although watering evenly becomes a huge problem. I have two growing, one in which i let grow inside the grate that's at the bottom of my fluoro light (however i've noticed this produces a lot of condensation on the leaves). The other method is to put up some chicken wire about an inch below the fluoro and let the cucumber plant grow along that. The cukes taste fine btw.

One note of caution however is that growing cukes indoors is very temperamental. Not because of the lighting problems but because watering must be even but still well drained. Any lapse in watering, or not watering deeply enough (to get the bottom soil wet) will start to cause the leaves to rot, and even low amounts of water could cause the cukes to distort or go bitter.

• tflinton
    15 years ago

oh one other note, pick up some pipe cleaners or a small paint brush because you have to fertilize the flowers yourself. It's pretty simple, just in the morning rub the brush inside the male flower and then rub it inside the female, i've never had any problems with it.

• arcobill
    15 years ago

Am growing Armenian cucumbers hydroponicly. They are supposed to be F1 hybred.They are producing about 90 %, what I presume to be male flowers. I have been pinching all of these off. Am I doing it wrong ?

• tflinton
    15 years ago

Typically you have a larger amount of male flowers to female. If you have a lot of damaged leaves on your plant try cutting off a few of the most severe. I've noticed this causes more new leaves/vines to grow and typically produces new female flowers at the same time.

My guess is it's normal and just the genetics of the plant.

• arcobill
    15 years ago

Had lots of cucumbers w/my little stealth system, but the vines took over my small indoor, hydro growing area.
    I have built anew system, out of 4" ABS tubing & rockwool medium. Cukes & tomatoes are growing great. Have 16" between plants. Also have learned, that excessive nitrogen, can cause the all male flower problem I was having. It also caused my bell peppers to abort thier blossoms.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner