Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn729

Now what???

jenn729
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm new around here, and new to gardening. I have been bothering the kind folks in the "Name that plant" forum an awful lot.

I know very little about lillies, and I am learning as I go. I was so very excited to see my first blooms...

that were blown off during a storm. The remaining buds eventually bloomed, and were prettier than than the first.

But last night, another windy storm with heavy rains left them bare. Here is what they look like today...

Will they grow back this year? Is there anything I should do now? I would greatly appreciate any advice given. Thank you!!

Comments (3)

• tjsangel
    16 years ago

Hi,

Unfortunately they will not bloom again. I lost a few this year too, but it being a new plant I look forward to the show next year. Yours is very pretty.

Jen

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

That is a nice lily, but its blooming period is finished for this season. At least you got to see them bloom before the wind and rain. The only thing I'd do is cut off the little arms where the blooms were attached so the plant doesn't waste its energy setting seeds. Leave the stem and let it yellow and brown out over the rest of the growing season - it's feeding the bulb for next year. In the fall, when the stems are dry and woody, cut them down. I like to leave a little bit of stem sticking up above the soil line so I know where to look for them in the spring. Chances are good that for every lily with one stem you have this year, next year they could multiply to two or three stems and each with a nice set of blooms - eventually you'll have a nice clump of bulbs that can be separated.

• jenn729
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for the help. I will follow your instructions and await next years beauties.
    I truly would be lost without the guidance I receive from the members of this site. Thanks again! :)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz