Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrscoyle

Need to fill a raised bed

mrscoyle
17 years ago

Well, maybe it's not REALLY a raised bed but I have sectioned off a corner of my yard (about 250 sq ft) that I want to try to grow veggies in. I cleaned it up and tilled it pretty good last year but it's still full of rocks and bricks and whatever else got dumped there in the past. I want to put down alot of really good dirt this spring. Where do I get it. I loath to buy 20+ bags of the stuff from Home Depot. Who do I contact to buy a large volume of garden dirt?

Comments (4)

• veilchen
    17 years ago

Look in your phone book under "top soil" or "loam" and see if anyone offers compost by bulk. Or call these places and ask. There are a couple of good sources here in S. Maine, email me if you are in this area.

Sometimes municipalities make compost from leaves in the fall and other things and offer it to residents for free or cheap, but you have to pick up.

• maineman
    17 years ago

mrscoyle,

Our local Agway sells top soil from a big pile, cheaper than in bags, though still not cheap. It does look like good stuff though, with a high compost content.

If you have topsoil delivered, it might be a good idea to get the seller to let you look at a sample of their product before you have it delivered. You don't want any bad surprises when the dump truck dumps.

Also, it would be nice if the dump truck could back up to where you want the soil to go. Otherwise you will have a lot of wheelbarrow work getting it from where it was dumped back to where you want it.

MM

• buckthorne
    17 years ago

Rick Duerr at White Buffalo Compost (963-7326) might be able to help you out. He'll deliver a 16 yard minimum or you can go there to pick it up yourself if you have a truck.

• pothom
    17 years ago

Mrscoyle,
    Don't bag for bag it, you'll go bankrupt, but remember now is the greatest chance to have the best foundation for your garden. Skimp here and forever you'll play catch-up.
    Veilchen's right, one of the best kept secrets in some town dumps is the compost pile, ours is 10 bucks a pick-up truck load of three year old leaf mold. The best (only) deal in town.
    Don't just dump in straight loam, it'll compact. Mix sand, perlite or vermiculite, and the nutrients from the start. The work now will pay off big time!
    Check with a neighboor to split a truck delivery, almost anyone could use a couple yards of loam. Many are 10yd minimum.The more you order, the more reasonable it is. An extra pile tucked away in the corner of your yard will disappear before you know it, but make sure you some sand as well, or you might get frustrated with the results, good luck!

Sponsored