Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cosmolover

German Cockroaches??

cosmolover
15 years ago

Is anyone else here in Maine seeing German Cockroaches this year?? We are here in Downeast Maine and I have noticed some odd looking scampering critters in my gardens and in my home. My husband looked it up online last night and found them to be German Cockroaches!! I am so freaked out by this. They are not invading my house my any means but they are all over many of my flowers. Does anyone think that maybe they came on some plants that I brought home? I have never seen them before until this year although the University of Maine website says they are not unusual here in Maine. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jess

Comments (8)

• paulaj
    15 years ago

Yup, I have seen them, for about 5 years, from Yarmouth to Belfast. They like to sit in my peonies, lettuce and hostas. Only one came in the house, and was not welcomed. They are small and shy. They give me the willies though, reminding me of the roaches in the city where I used to live.

• cosmolover
    Original Author
    15 years ago

PaulaJ,

Thanks for the post. At least I know we are not the only ones. They give me the creeps too. I don't like how fast they move. I just came in from deadheading and I am still scratching my head. I feel like they are crawling on me. YUK!!

Cosmolover

• paulaj
    15 years ago

You know, after reading your post, I saw a little cockroach outside, and considered it more closely. It didn't scurry away, and looked kind of like a nice, handsome bug. I must be getting used to them!
    I wonder what they are eating out there. They don't seem to be a pest. I'll have to do a bit of research.
    Thanks for helping me to look at them in a new way.

• pyewacket
    15 years ago

I live in downeast Maine too, and have been seeing quite a few of them in my house over the past few weeks. Immediately recognized them as small cousins of the creepy critters I used to share my NYC studio with. None in flower or veg gardens. Have occasionally spotted them in past years but not in this quantity. Wondering if the warm weather bring them out?

• megmaine
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh... no!!!!!!!
    I am a transplant from Texas, and thought I had seen the last of those buggers. Haven't seen any in Waterville, but looks like the dream has turned into a nightmare.

I know them all too intimately. I thought the winters here killed them.
    Oh good gracious, I hope they never come here because I know all too well that there is no way to get rid of them that doesn't involve breathing poison yourself. And they always come back.

I'd heard there were multi-unit tenements that had them, but figured they don't spread here because any time a building is left unheated, they are killed.

Here's hoping I don't get a reunion. I know them wayyyy too well. Their habits, their appearance, even their genetic resilience... I remember bug bombing and they came back but for a year, the descendents of the survivors had misshapen wings. Heck I even saw bizarre courtship behavior in them, and other weird behaviors when one greeted another, after that bug bombing.
    As I said, I am far too familiar with them and hope never to smell them again. Yes they have a smell and one doesn't forget.

• drumaps
    15 years ago

are you sure they were german and not woods roaches. thru years of pest control i've rarely seen german roaches outside, but woods roaches are common and actually rarely come inside.

• paulaj
    15 years ago

Yes, that's what they are: woods roaches. You can google that and find info. They do not live indoors.

• dutch62
    14 years ago

Glad to hear they weren't German roaches that have adapted to the outside.. Not sure if you have Asian Roaches that far up north (I doubt it) but they are identical looking to German Roaches but they thrive outdoors. Other than that perhaps its one of the others that are in this article. I know you have them, but they are larger.

Here is a link that might be useful: Occasional roaches

Sponsored